shipLaunchedEscapePod question

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

shipLaunchedEscapePod question

Post by phkb »

I'm curious as to whether it's possible to know, from the "shipLaunchedEscapePod" function, which ship launched it. There seem to be two definitions of this function, one in world scripts, and the other in ship scripts. The world scripts one has one parameter, the ship scripts has two, but neither have a "whom" or "from" property. Can I use one of these functions to determine which NPC ship launched an escape pod, or is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: shipLaunchedEscapePod question

Post by Wildeblood »

In a world script, you're probably after shipSpawned, with an if ship has role escape pod style of thingy here. IIRC, shipLaunchedEscapePod is only sent to the ship that launched it, and is more or less equivalent to "Any famous last words?". In world scripts you use it to set the escape-pod's destination. Try looking in Murphy's Escape Capsule Locator OXP... Weird weather today, huh?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
... Weird weather today, huh?
It's raining! Nothing weird about that here in Blighty. What's going on then?

Re the question. a ship would normally become derelict when the pilot ejects, so it would cease to act and would turn white on the scanner. If you are talking OXP/mission ships etc, you might need to send a script message or something (generate a console message perhaps) if you want the player to know.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

It's all overcast, not going to rain though. On the satellite photo there's one long trough going all the way from Cocos Island in the tropical Indian Ocean, across the SW tip of the mainland and all the way down to Antarctica.

(I saw what you did there, Smivs, with your sneaky editing.)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:

(I saw what you did there, Smivs, with your sneaky editing.)
<chuckles> Well, it might have looked a bit like a thread derailment if I didn't mention the topic :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Thanks, Wildeblood. And yes, the weather was a bit unusual. Where I am it was a thunderstorm at 7:30am, followed by hot and muggy.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Weird weather is to be expected.. with more of the same forthcoming..

You can thank global warming for that.. (sorry, climate change is the new PC term) and 2014 was the hottest year on record. Expect things to get worse/stranger from here on out.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied