Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cloaking Device Bug?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Cloaking Device Bug?

Post by LittleBear »

Although I've been playing for a while, I only just got around to doing the Cloaking Device Mission and now have it fitted.

The Device basiclly makes me totally invunerable without any penalty. I can stay cloaked for about 3 minutes before it fails for want of energy, but I get a bar of energy back in about 5 seconds so can immedatley recloak if in danger.

When activeted all ships turn off red, stop fireing and completely ignore me even if I sit behind them blasting them to hits. Now fine, if the beast massivley drained my energy banks. Admittidly I have both the standard and Naval (from Thargoid Plans) Energy Units fitted and I'm flying sleazen's imperial courier, but when activeded it hardley touches my energy and I can leave it on indefinatley.

Playtesting my OXP, I was up agaist 45 OXP police ships, all more powerfull than the Behemoth or Leviathan and all within 1km of me (the OXP won't pit you against these sort of odds, this was just me playtesting the AI!). As a test of my ships I fired at one police ship and my Shield Boosted, Military Shielded Navel Engery Unit Imp, lasted about 4 seconds before it fell under 45 Military Lasers. However, Cloaked I could destroy every ship without a scratch, as they all ignored me.

I gave one of my NCPs in the OXP a cloak and it didn't make her invisible. She didn't show on the scanner, but her ship flashed on and off and I could see her lasers. So her cloak didn't really help her that much.

Could the Cloak be changed so that either it massivly drains your energy, so you can only stay cloaked for say 10 seconds or so. Or have the Cloak function like the NCPs cloak, just making the eneimies AI a bit off target. At the moment it seems a super weapon.

I think the Assiassins Guild might have to frown upon such dishonerable devices as part of their Code and remove it when you join the Guild and give it back to you when you finish the OXP!
Last edited by LittleBear on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Attacking the Special Branch Protected Triad Informant Cloaked
(ho hum, better wait for lasers to cool down):-

10 seconds after attacking the same mark uncloaked
(Smeg! hit the fuel injectors, detonates energy bomb, Warning : Pandora/ Medusa shield active - energy bomb failed, Warning : 16 hostiles are closing, Warning: Incoming missiles, deployes q-mine, Waring: Targets have engaged fuel injectors, Warning: Tragets have evaded q-bomb burst, Warning : shields have failed : energy low! Select Panic curcits Panic curcits engaged! Panicing! Glances at escape pod and unbuckles seat belt)

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

Well, as it stands now, the cloaking device, when active, will not allow GalCop to record your kills for the Elite Ranking credit, IIRC. If that's exposed to OXPs, you could perhaps use that to your advantage. And honestly.... It's an Assassin's Guild... Why would they frown on using stealth to engage marks, from an 'In Character' perspective on things... Strike without being seen is a good thing.

From your perspective as the Author, wanting to see the challenge level of your missions stay where you want it, I can understand the frustration, but I can't see why an 'Assassin's Guild' would care. A 'Duellist Guild', sure.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Perhaps the Client has specified that before the victim dies, he must know exactley why he is dying: "This is for Be Ny'tall's sister!". And the Guild always aims to satisfy the Client!

I'm not against the cloak. I just think it should be fair. The cloak should only help the player as much as it helps an NCP.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

What if you ship re-appeared when you were firing as if the NPCs could work out where you were based on your laser fire. Perhaps to make it realistic, they should be able to see you for a little while after you stop firing as if they could track you based on your last known position.
Azzameen
Average
Average

Post by Azzameen »

Hey, is it possible to make a cloaking device such as the Klingons have? You know, cloaked, you're invisible, but you can't fire your weapoons, so you have to get visible again to fire?
And how the hell can I get a cloaking device? In which mission? Which galaxy?
reH 'eb tu'lu' - There is always a chance
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Azzameen
Average
Average

Post by Azzameen »

Okay...
How many kills do I have to have? I'm in galaxy 3 with my new game in a bop.
reH 'eb tu'lu' - There is always a chance
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's a where you are not what you are that triggers it, you have to be in Galaxy 5.

Make sure your cargo hold is not full!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"