Trunk nightly

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Trunk nightly

Post by cim »

The log message is a known-ish bug (NPCs targeting wormholes when they shouldn't) which I'm keeping around for a little while as it made some considerably more serious bugs visible and I want to make sure those are all fixed first. (as the type of bug this log message is could also be introduced by an OXPer)

I've not yet had chance to check out the launch bug - have you ever seen it happen except at Torus stations, do you recall?
Cody wrote:
Even with Skilled NPCs removed, those heavy assassins are hitting through my cloak with alarming regularity - and there seems to be more of them using injectors too. I run with a 0.5ly reserve tank as standard, and I've had to make use of it tonight. It's finely balanced - but life as an ace courier is definitely harder now.
Interesting - I found them to miss pretty consistently with or without the cloak, provided I was dodging a bit.

Their injector use will be more effective now, especially if you're trying to run on injectors, though.
Cody wrote:
Oh yeah - I've lost/forgotten the whereabouts/method of that order-of-kit thingy - help!
Copy the core equipment.plist to your AddOns and add sort_order = 10; entries to the items. (The core equipment.plist is somewhat unstable at the moment as I poke around that part of the code, so you may need to redo this every so often to avoid odd bugs)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
... have you ever seen it happen except at Torus stations, do you recall?
Almost exclusively from Torus stations, I'd think (though I haven't got many in my Ooniverse) - and always a Python/Anaconda/Boa, if memory serves.
If I see one at a core station, I'll report it.
cim wrote:
The core equipment.plist is somewhat unstable at the moment as I poke around that part of the code, so you may need to redo this every so often to avoid odd bugs
Okay, I'll run with it as is - too many tweaks to remember already anyway.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Re: Trunk nightly 1.81.0.6299-141231-02d7423

Post by Cody »

Jumped into my nova system again (the sun is still at a survivable distance), and this popped-up:

Code: Select all

13:19:47.390 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Oolite Pirate Freighter AI 1.81): TypeError: system.mainPlanet is null
13:19:47.390 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-priorityai.js, line 4502.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Suddenly lost sound on latest build, needed to quit to reset.

Opening log for Oolite development version 1.81-141231 (x86-64 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25) at 2014-12-31 10:03:22 +0000.
Machine type: iMac11,2, 12288 MiB memory, 2 (4 logical) x x86 (Westmere) @ 3200 MHz.

14:27:44.166 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
14:27:44.266 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
14:27:44.266 [ov.debug]: Error -1 playing source
14:27:44.537 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
14:27:44.616 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
14:27:44.616 [ov.debug]: Error -1 playing source
14:27:48.686 [ov.debug]: Error -1 playing source
14:27:48.801 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
14:27:48.801 [ov.debug]: Error -50 queueing buffers
14:27:48.936 [sound.load.error]: Could not create OpenAL buffer
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Jumped into my nova system again (the sun is still at a survivable distance), and this popped-up:

13:19:47.390 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Oolite Pirate Freighter AI 1.81): TypeError: system.mainPlanet is null
13:19:47.390 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-priorityai.js, line 4502.
The sun problem should be fixed now, though anyone who saved their game on a recent nightly won't get the benefit of that fix without manually editing their save file. Upgrades from 1.80 to 1.82 will work, though.

Testers who want to make the edit manually, you need to find the bit like this in your savegame - it may be considerably longer than this if you have a lot of OXPs. Replace "~3 168~" with the appropriate values for your nova system.

<key>scripted_planetinfo_overrides</key>
    <dict>
	<key>org.oolite.oolite~|~3 168~|~corona_flare~|~2</key>
	<string>0.105626</string>
	<key>org.oolite.oolite~|~3 168~|~corona_hues~|~2</key>
	<string>0.800000</string>
	<key>org.oolite.oolite~|~3 168~|~market~|~2</key>
	<string>none</string>
	<key>org.oolite.oolite~|~3 168~|~sun_gone_nova~|~2</key>
	<string>true</string>
    </dict>
Then add

<key>org.oolite.oolite~|~3 168~|~sun_radius~|~2</key>
	<string>680000</string>
(Strictly, what you should do is look up the sun_radius for the system and add 600000 to it, but it's not going to make that much difference)

The AI problem ... I'm not entirely sure how the freighter got there in the first place, but probably there's a general AI problem that they don't react sensibly to being in a nova system. I'll add that to my list of things to fix.
Venator Dha wrote:
That error message is going to be difficult to track down the cause of. I would guess that "out of memory to allocate buffer" is unlikely if you have 12Gb (assuming you haven't severely restricted how much of that Oolite can request), and there shouldn't be other resource limits being relevant either. There's a limit of 1024 simultaneous buffers on OS X, but you shouldn't be getting anywhere near that limit in normal operation.

Could you see if you can reproduce it with some sort of reliability (e.g. continuously play normally for X minutes or do something that triggers lots of sounds at once)? If you can, could you post a list of the sound-related OXPs you have installed and see if it still happens in Strict mode?

It looks like it took four hours to happen, from the log file, so maybe something in Core or an OXP is keeping references to sound buffers around for much longer than it needs to, or creating multiple copies of the same sound.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

cim wrote:
Venator Dha wrote:
That error message is going to be difficult to track down the cause of. I would guess that "out of memory to allocate buffer" is unlikely if you have 12Gb (assuming you haven't severely restricted how much of that Oolite can request),
Wouldn't know how to, Oolite is currently using 1GB, & everything I've got running around 8GB
cim wrote:
and there shouldn't be other resource limits being relevant either. There's a limit of 1024 simultaneous buffers on OS X, but you shouldn't be getting anywhere near that limit in normal operation.

Could you see if you can reproduce it with some sort of reliability (e.g. continuously play normally for X minutes or do something that triggers lots of sounds at once)? If you can, could you post a list of the sound-related OXPs you have installed and see if it still happens in Strict mode?

It looks like it took four hours to happen, from the log file, so maybe something in Core or an OXP is keeping references to sound buffers around for much longer than it needs to, or creating multiple copies of the same sound.
Will do, it might be quite rare, and as you saw I've had the chance to play for a long stretch today :D . I was in a fire fight at the time so there's a lot of laser fire & hits to my shields going on. The only OXP I have running that affects sounds in any way that I know of is audible docking clearance otherwise I only have the core sounds running.
Cody

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
The sun problem should be fixed now...
<nods> It is, thanks - and the auto-route thingy is very handy, btw.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

In current trunk I get the following:

22:22:33.743 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:203): ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.81): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods (arachnid_mark_1-trader).
22:22:33.743 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:214): ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk/oolite.app/Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1455.
The mentioned ship use cargo_type = "CARGO_RANDOM", exactly as serpent-trader which do the same:

18:06:56.524 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:203): ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.81): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods (serpent-trader).
18:06:56.524 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:214): ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk/oolite.app/Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1455.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Norby wrote:
In current trunk I get the following:
No change from earlier versions there. CARGO_RANDOM means "this is a cargo pod with random contents". Things which are not scoopable cargo must have CARGO_NOT_CARGO as their cargo_type (and the populator will then assign them scarce or plentiful goods as appropriate, if they are traders)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Thank you, so this should be fixed in the OXPs, but I don't understand why we can't use the "CARGO_RANDOM" word on ships. Both of scoopability and isCargo values are determined by scan_class="CLASS_CARGO" and not by the cargo_type so "CARGO_RANDOM" theoretically can do the same as "CARGO_NOT_CARGO" if applied on an entity with non-cargo scan_class. Please describe if something deny this.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

They do very different things, so cannot be interchangeable.
CARGO_RANDOM tells the game that a scoopable entity is a cargo container which can contain any cargo (which is awarded when the entity is scooped), whereas CARGO_NOT_CARGO tells the game that the entity is not a cargo container.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Smivs wrote:
CARGO_NOT_CARGO tells the game that the entity is not a cargo container.
I think not due to the isCargo property is not set by cargo type but scan class.
Smivs wrote:
CARGO_RANDOM tells the game that a scoopable entity is a cargo container which can contain any cargo
Yes, but in addition can tell that an unscoopable entity contain random cargo, so can be similar with CARGO_NOT_CARGO for unscoopables imho.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Norby wrote:
...but in addition can tell that an unscoopable entity contain random cargo....
I don't see this - there is no point in having cargo in an un-scoopable container. Yes, a ship may carry random cargo, but the ship is not a cargo container (CARGO_NOT_CARGO), while the cargo pods that it carries (CARGO_RANDOM) do have cargo.
Scan class (CLASS_CARGO) is mainly concerned with the scanner display so is not too relevant here. That only becomes really important for Police and Alien ships.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Scan class can change in-flight, though - e.g. thargons changing from CLASS_ALIEN to CLASS_CARGO.

CARGO_RANDOM means "this - when CLASS_CARGO - can be treated as a scoopable cargo pod containing a specified amount of a specified commodity". (Incidentally, things like CARGO_MINERALS and CARGO_SLAVES in shipdata get converted to CARGO_RANDOM internally)

CARGO_NOT_CARGO means "this is not a scoopable cargo pod, though it may have a cargo hold containing them"

If CARGO_RANDOM was specified on cargo carriers, there'd no longer be a way to distinguish between:
- this is a cargo carrier which holds a selection of goods
- this is a ship holding a specified amount of a commodity which may under certain circumstances become scoopable (like the thargons)
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Rotating cargo isn't working on the latest trunk 150110. (Mac)