Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Welcome aboard and happy hunting... or trading.. or mining... or whatever your little ol heart desires.... furs and computers are good trading items if you find the right places with the demand for them.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Another tip: look for parcel contracts on F4 - they can be free cash!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

iF you run into an asteroid belt or storm... destroying one earns a credit bounty or if you tackle the really big ones... 1.5 credits can be earned. keep an eye open for loose cargo or escape pods as they can bring in more credits. This needs a fuel scoop to scoop them up and a ship with enough storage to hold them so this might be something for later on.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Jason S wrote:
I tried to accelerate time with p then shift f and then right key but that did not work, I read it is not in the release feature list
Welcome on board, Jason!

If you would like to save your time then you can use safely the "OXP Developer release" (scroll down a bit in the download page) which is exactly the same in gameplay (including the same bugs if any). The difference is a bit less FPS but if you are already reached the limit at 60 due to the refresh rate of your display then nothing.

The core development happen in the "Nightly builds" which suffer drastical changes and contain new features in beta stage. This is the unreleased version which is not safe for you, but the "OXP Developer release" above is safe and contain time acceleration.
naja
Poor
Poor

Post by naja »

Hi all,

I have been enjoying OOlite for exactly two months now. I started Elite with the Acorn Electron version back in the day and made it to Dangerous. Some years later I used a spectrum emulated Elite version and got to Deadly. Over the last couple of months I traded up via a Python to a Boa Class Cruiser. I've mostly been trading and running up to 6 passengers around Galaxy 1. I really like the great work that has been put into developing OOlite and looking forwards to 1.81. My main bugbear is the combat side of things which is not very balanced. I'd like to run into 1 or 2 pirate ships sometimes rather than 5. Still having a Witchfuel drive means you never have to stick around for a fight. Now I have more cash than I know what to do with, so I'm starting to think about combat. I'm up to 6 kills so far, but I've probably been killed about 10 times to get to that level. Still if it was easy we'd all be Elite :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, naja - have you looked at the parcel contracts?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi naja, and welcome :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Welcome Naja , currently only 5 kills myself on a new commander. have found i do more running than i used to but im trading my way to military lasers and shield upgrades..
Cody is right try the parcel contracts. Not many you can do at first but it soon gets better. plus it forces you to go to star systems you might normally avoid... lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day naja, and welcome aboard! 8)
naja wrote:
My main bugbear is the combat side of things which is not very balanced. I'd like to run into 1 or 2 pirate ships sometimes rather than 5. Still having a Witchfuel drive means you never have to stick around for a fight. Now I have more cash than I know what to do with, so I'm starting to think about combat. I'm up to 6 kills so far, but I've probably been killed about 10 times to get to that level. Still if it was easy we'd all be Elite :)
Yes.. there have been more than a few comments in that vein, since 1.80 was released.. and a couple of fairly large threads discussing what ought to be done about it. You may even find them interesting to read:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16837

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16808

The short version is, yes, we're aware of the problems, and the next version, 1.82, will be far better balanced as regards combat.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
naja
Poor
Poor

Post by naja »

Thanks for all the comments!

I haven't really done much parcel running. The rewards seem rather small compared to passenger runs. But while I'm charging around the Ooniverse I should try to grab a few parcels too.

BTW When is 1.82 due to hit the shops?

Thanks
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

naja wrote:
I haven't really done much parcel running. The rewards seem rather small compared to passenger runs. But while I'm charging around the Ooniverse I should try to grab a few parcels too.
As they take up no space you can take as many as are possible in the direction you are going, so it all adds up. Also once you have a good rep, you will get better paying ones (but watch out as sometimes people will want to stop you delivering :lol: )
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

naja wrote:
BTW When is 1.82 due to hit the shops?
<Jumps up and down waving hands with great animosity> I know that one! I know it!
Soon.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
Soon.
<chortles>
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

another_commander wrote:
Soon.
Oh my. So many OXPs to update and so little time.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Soon.
Oh my. So many OXPs to update and so little time.
Soon is a very elastic term! <grins wryly>