Hyperjump from a star

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hyperjump from a star

Post by ffutures »

Is it my imagination, or are the chances of a misjump greatly reduced if you jump from inside the atmosphere of a star? I seemed to have a lot of misjumps a while ago, all of them happened when I jumped from near the Coriolis station, none from inside a star.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Hyperjump from a star

Post by Wildeblood »

ffutures wrote:
Is it my imagination, or are the chances of a misjump greatly reduced if you jump from inside the atmosphere of a star? I seemed to have a lot of misjumps a while ago, all of them happened when I jumped from near the Coriolis station, none from inside a star.
It's just a fluke, or they were scripted (OXP induced) misjumps. The only thing that increases the chance of a misjump is time since your last maintenance overhaul, and even that isn't enough variation to actually notice.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Note also, that installing the Misjump Analyser actually significantly increases the chance of a misjump..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I don't have misjump analyser installed - tried it briefly, but it felt like cheating (and I thought I was getting a lot of false alarms) so I removed it.

Might be something to do with Thargoid Wars - I was running cargo in galaxy 6, along the Rabian Spur, a run of seven or eight jumps with no alternative route, and got the "Thargoid Invasion" message in a couple of the systems. The big string of misjumps happened on the return journey and afterwards. Maintenance was probably also a factor there.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
I thought I was getting a lot of false alarms
Heh.. had you ignored the alarms, you'd have found out they were real.. albeit artificially induced.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I hacked together a Misjump Analyser that didn't artificially induce misjumps, but it can only detect certain misjump conditions.
Which is none of the totally random you-need-to-do-maintenance-more-often ones. :lol:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

ffutures wrote:
I don't have misjump analyser installed - tried it briefly, but it felt like cheating…
You won't cheat when using it. I wrote it to experience more misjumps as they were to rare in my opinion. And as mentioned above, it can only warn you for misjumps it is generating itself. :twisted:

The bluepring of the analyser was left in the najort nebula on purpose by the thargoids for a reason…
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Sneaky buggers!

DEFINITELY better off without it!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Well, I got a definitive reason why I don't want to have more misjumps tonight - came out of hyperspace with my fuel scoops running because I'd missed the witch-point so badly that I ended up in the star, heading down, and about a gnat's hair above the red level on the altimeter.

That is NOT something I want to do more often... Especially since I had some very expensive cargo to deliver at the Coriolis station and I had to go around the blasted sun to get there!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ffutures wrote:
Well, I got a definitive reason why I don't want to have more misjumps tonight - came out of hyperspace with my fuel scoops running because I'd missed the witch-point so badly that I ended up in the star, heading down, and about a gnat's hair above the red level on the altimeter.
Do you use Distant Suns, and if so, which system was it; that sounds like a bug of my causing?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Yes, I have distant suns installed. Can't remember which system, somewhere near the middle of galaxy 8. Sorry, I didn't think to take notes.

I really wouldn't waste time trying to fix it, this has happened to me once in years of play, and seems plausible enough as a fluke misjump, the sort of thing that might happen once in a lifetime if you're really unlucky.