Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Where can I find my ship in the relevant shipdata.plist

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Where can I find my ship in the relevant shipdata.plist

Post by Fatleaf »

andyGSheffUK wrote:
and how do you know which oxp a ship has come from?
Well, usually the name of the ship is the obvious one such as the Chopped Cobra and the barking mad Wonder Worm. But with ship sets like Staer9's and Smivs' it is a good idea to keep a note of the Wiki page to refer to. It can be difficult when you have a load of different ship and ship set oxp's.

But at least with the hunting around you probably will learn a few things about the coding used and might even be motivated over tot he dark side (making oxp's yourself). I know, it happened to me :roll:

Wildblood: Calm down dear, he in new to this.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
andyGSheffUK
Above Average
Above Average

Post by andyGSheffUK »

Wildeblood wrote:
Y'all didn't know. Y'all came here and asked, "Which OXP does the Python ET Special come from?"

We done told you, "Staer9's shipset."
Sorry Wildeblood, no offence meant.

Yes I did ask specifically about the Python ET Special.
But what I really wanted to know was how does one find a ship in the various oxps in general? - rather than having to post here and bother all the experts every time.
(the Subject was supposed to explain that)

From what I've seen recently looking for various ships (the Iguana is a good example) the information available on them is more than a little out of date.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

andyGSheffUK wrote:
...and how do you know which oxp a ship has come from?
Ha, there is no way to say this that doesn't potentially sound rude :P <helpful, friendly voice> Know what you are installing. It is always worth studying any prospective addition to your game before installing - then you know what you are getting (and where it is) and can make an informed decision as to whether it is for you or not.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
andyGSheffUK
Above Average
Above Average

Post by andyGSheffUK »

Smivs wrote:
Know what you are installing.
Fair point, I think it would also have helped if I'd got the install of Oolite right first time - because it's all got a bit messy (as evidenced above).
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

andyGSheffUK wrote:
But what I really wanted to know was how does one find a ship in the various oxps in general?
In the good old days there was a slideshow at the start of the game, and when you added a shipset OXP its ships were added to the end of the slideshow. So you saw new ships immediately, before coming across them in-game.

But that's been replaced by the Ship Library (?) menu option, which requires more of a conscious effort to have a search through it to learn newly installed ships. It's not a good change. And it's not compatible with older OXPs until someone gets around to updating them.

When it comes to editing files, in Win7 or Win8 in the good old days, just going to the addons folder then typing the name of the ship into the Windows search box produced a list of files that contained that string, as long as Windows had .plist files associated with text documents. It should be similarly easy in Linux. But with the compressed OXZs in Oolite 1.80 being in a separate location that doesn't work so smoothly anymore either.

So in your situation just asking here probably was the best option. Trawling through the wiki looking for a particular ship model is a lucky dip: you might find it immediately or it might take hours.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

andyGSheffUK wrote:
But what I really wanted to know was how does one find a ship in the various oxps in general? - rather than having to post here and bother all the experts every time.
To use the specifics to illustrate the general: [EliteWiki] Python ET – that's a quick search on the Wiki. Since you did not have the X-ships OXP installed, next step was scrolling down a bit, revealing pictures of both a Neolite and a Staer9 ET. Simples.

But mostly it goes by memory. For instance, whenever someone complains about being pounced by a dozen hostile ships every time they jump to Zaonce, I know exactly which OXP is causing it ([EliteWiki] Eagle MkII) and how to fix it (remove, rename or edit planetinfo.plist).
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Don't sweat it too much Andy.. once you've done it a time or two, things get easier..
andyGSheffUK wrote:
I can't find an uninstall option in ~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite
That would be because it's actually in ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite, as mentioned in CheeseRedux's post earlier. :wink:

As for searching for what OXPs contain what ships, since I've never really gotten to grips with grep and regular expressions, in my own Mint17 install, I installed Searchmonkey (available in the Software Manager), and set the options to use wildcard syntax instead of regex. You can use it to return a list of all files in the given folder (say, AddOns) that contain the word you're searching for.

As Wildeblood mentions though.. using search is not much help when it comes to OXZs.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied