Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[1.80 windows] OOlite frequently freezes up every few minute

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

[1.80 windows] OOlite frequently freezes up every few minute

Post by Bogatyr »

Running 1.80 on a windows 7 laptop I experience the game freezing up frequently. This seems to mostly happen on GUI screens not while in-flight (perhaps only, I don't recall in-flight freezing ever). Every few minutes oolite becomes unresponsive to input for about 10 seconds on just about every screen. I also notice very frequently that saving a game suffers the same delay: sometimes saving is instant, most of the time though it takes 10 seconds or more, which is crazy for saving such a small file. When the game freezes up I'm able to interact with the OS so it's not a system-wide issue.

Also I can't get Oolite to go full screen on a second monitor that is not the main monitor. If I change the 2nd monitor to be the "main" screen of the system the oolite will go full-screen on it.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [1.80 windows] OOlite frequently freezes up every few mi

Post by another_commander »

Bogatyr wrote:
Running 1.80 on a windows 7 laptop I experience the game freezing up frequently. This seems to mostly happen on GUI screens not while in-flight (perhaps only, I don't recall in-flight freezing ever). Every few minutes oolite becomes unresponsive to input for about 10 seconds on just about every screen. I also notice very frequently that saving a game suffers the same delay: sometimes saving is instant, most of the time though it takes 10 seconds or more, which is crazy for saving such a small file. When the game freezes up I'm able to interact with the OS so it's not a system-wide issue.
This one must be a third party process getting in the way. It could be an antivirus scanner, a wireless or mobile connection control software or similar. What could be an idea is to run Oolite alongside Task Manager and have Task Manager display the list of running process in order of CPU usage. You may be able to note if there is any particular process demanding CPU every so often and there is a good chance that, if you spot one, it could be the cause of your freezes.
Also I can't get Oolite to go full screen on a second monitor that is not the main monitor. If I change the 2nd monitor to be the "main" screen of the system the oolite will go full-screen on it.
Oolite 1.80 on Windows goes full screen only on the primary monitor. But I have some good news for you: Last weekend I submitted code changes to master that take care of exactly this problem. In the next version of Oolite for Windows you will be able to go full screen on the monitor that hosts your game window at the time of fullscreen switching. If you are on your primary monitor you will be able to switch to different screen resolutions as you can normally do, but if you are on a secondary monitor you will only be able to go full screen on the native resolution. This should not normally be a problem, as 99% of users play fullscreen on native resolution anyway, unless there are serious performance reasons to go lower res. So yes, we are fully aware of this issue and the current nightly builds already include the fixed behaviour so you can test it right now if you want.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [1.80 windows] OOlite frequently freezes up every few mi

Post by Bogatyr »

cool, thanks for the tip, I'll try to see if I can identify a process that's running....but no other program on the system experiences those pauses like Oolite does, AFAIK. Good to know about the multimon change, thanks!