Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hwtan
Competent
Competent

Battlestar Galactica

Post by hwtan »

Someone has made the model of the ships in the movies Battlestar Galactica. In 3ds Max format thought. Is there anyone who is interested in converting them into Oolite?

The site is

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/cgid ... ls_001.htm
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

When I had the 3D Max demo version installed, I tried to take a look at these models. The problem is that they are way too complex to be used in games and trying to cut down the detail only ruined the ships, more or less - at least in my hands.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Thanks for the feed back. It is a pity that they are too complex.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Btw, I find another site that has some light weight format. Anyone would like to take up the project? Sorry that I personally do not have the skill nor the time to learn both the 3D modeling program and the OXP. Anyone?

http://www.battlestarpegasus.com/galler ... odels.html
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Personally no great fan of sci-fi replicas flying around in games, especially oolite, but as I'm a big fan of BSG I'll take a look in a couple of weeks. There shouldn't be too much problems cutting the ship up into small subentities and same for the textures.

I'd only have it in a certain location between two stars in hyperspace though. like a dredger.

Could be more interesting, should you find models for a basestar and both fightertypes. :D
Riding the Rocket!
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Hi Arexack_Heretic,
Could be more interesting, should you find models for a basestar and both fightertypes. :D
You should be able to find the lightweight model in the link in my last post. Thank you and looking forward to the oxp. :D
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

That would be about 5 subentities?

bridge, backbone, engine, hangarnacelles, connectionstruts.

Ah! docking slit! 6.
Is it already possible to have two dockingports?

:D Yeah old-school Battlestar! :lol: whoohoo!
Riding the Rocket!
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

O M F G...........that ship had BETTER not be NPC only!!!!.....i want that SOO BAD!!!! its frickin badass awsome!!!!
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

O M F G...........that ship had BETTER not be NPC only!!!!.....i want that SOO BAD!!!! its frickin badass awsome!!!!
Arexack_Heretic

twice eh? :lol:

It better not be player purchasable, it's a carrier FGS!
Besides the cost of building a single BS would bankrupt most economies in the coop. Only a multisystem organisation would be able to commission the building of these ships. An organisation such as the COOP. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

... or an extremely rich organisation such as DRACOrp... which could build them and lease-lend them out to whoever could afford them...

Reminds me of that line about the Heart of Gold in H2G2... about the price: "It's a 1 with a pageful of zeroes after it..." :D
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It's four subentities without docking bays - mainhull, struts, porthangar, stbdhangar. Docking bays will be present in each side when the game can handle it.

So far, I think Giles is working on having off-centre docking ports but they're not ready yet. Hence the ship is not available.

I don't think it'll be a player ship if/when I finish it - it'll be an NPC encounter in misjump space or near-solar encounters.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Selezen wrote:
So far, I think Giles is working on having off-centre docking ports but they're not ready yet. Hence the ship is not available.
They're done, have been since about 1.63, there's a demo of them in the video I posted (on the bulk hauler) go ahead and try them!
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!