Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - OXZ for Oolite 1.82 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - flying colors under 1.77

Post by sdrubble »

Thx everybody for your help. :D

However ... :?
Thargoid wrote:
The Caduceus OXZ is licensed as CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 ...
... after taking a look at the Caduceus Wiki entry HERE , as well as downloading and peeking into the Caduceus OXP (not OXZ !) package from HERE , I failed to detect WHERE such licensing terms are stated.

Or would be this CC licensing thingy something that's IMPLICIT rather than explicit ... ?

I might have further questions on how in practical terms would I go about licensing The Dark Rainbow, but I'm afraid I don't know WHAT else to ask at this point - at least not before understanding HOW it's done on the Caduceus ... :cry:

Cheers ! :mrgreen:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I have simply installed the my Dark Rainbow OXP as listed in the First Post in this thread into 1.80's Add ons and it has been working fine for me. So the mighty Dark Rainbow can on does fly in 1.80. :)

I note that it's arrival does tend to make Pirates in groups of Four or Less flee but initially thought that to be quiet normal behaviour as it is what I would do when facing such a fully armed and lethal Predator.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Concerning the OXP vs OXZ license, now I think about it you are correct there. When I packaged up the OXP into the OXZ I noticed that it didn't have a license so I spoke to Clymangus about it and he agreed to add the license. So you are correct that the OXP itself technically is unlicensed, but if anything that would actually make things more complex as except for your original agreement with him for the production of the DR OXP then it would not be valid at all (and indeed taken to the letter of the law the original OXP couldn't actually be used by anyone).

My original point was that the ownership/stewardship of the OXP/Z and its licensing are actually two distinct things. Having someone else take over ownership/maintenance of the OXP/Z is entirely between you and them, as long as they do not wish to do anything beyond its license (ie basically just upkeep it). But beyond that it's then building on (and changing) the agreement that you and Clymangus had, and would probably be best negotiated between any new owner and him depending on what was being proposed.

So if I were in your position I would offer up the ownership/stewardship of the OXP/Z for maintenance purposes, with the licensing agreement clearly stated (as you have already done). Then someone can step in and take over if they wish, and then come to a suitable agreement concerning any plans to make changes and create a new licensing/derivation agreement with Clymangus. That way all is clear and everyone should be happy. And for completeness the original OXP version should probably also have a license added to its package to save any more future confusion.

Or at least that would be my suggestion on this.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

This seems to be fairly cut and dry. It's a standard share alike

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Nothing horrendously restrictive. copy it, make derivative works, just credit the maker and do your level best not to make it a commercial thing.
I'm not a copyright ogre you know. Ask anyone with whom I shared a pint. Have I charged or "gone after" anyone messing around with the things I've made? Nope.

Did I bat an eye when people wanted to poster print the maps? Again nope. In fact I printed out and gave a load of them away! We give to oolite because others have given so much. We're making a great game better here and we have to work for free and not all grow assholes about "pence in the pound". :D
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

@Duggan -

many thx for the flying report update - it's the second one I spot from yourself as you keep flight-testing the DR across various Oolite versions !!! :D

@Thargoid & ClymAngus -

thx again for the continuous support in this (for me ...) terribly boring licensing & adoption stuff.

Oh, and BTW Thargoid - care to share a link for the OXZ package you've mentioned ? :roll:

@All -

I have edited the first post in this thread (added one 'Status Update' at the beginning of post) which should hopefully reflect all that's been discussed in the most recent posts. Feel free to berate me if you find any deviations ! 8)

Cheers !!! :mrgreen:
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - high & mighty with Oolite 1.80

Post by sdrubble »

The TITLE of this thread was just CHANGED. 8)

was :
Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - flying colors under 1.77

and is now:
Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - high & mighty with Oolite 1.80

Cheers ! :lol:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Regarding the Dark Rainbow variant of the Neocaduceus .

She still packs a mean wallop in Oolite 1.82 and the box download link in the first post seems quiet good still.. :)

Should anyone want to ...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The original packed a hell of a wallop. This one, has more turrets than Ming. :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

[quote=ClymAngus]The original packed a hell of a wallop. This one, has more turrets than Ming. :D[/quote]

Absolutely...I think this is the only ever add on I had to tweak down a bit .:)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Duggan wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
The original packed a hell of a wallop. This one, has more turrets than Ming. :D
Absolutely...I think this is the only ever add on I had to tweak down a bit .:)
I took that ship out for a spin once, whenever I entered a fire fight I had to put Queen on, and shout in a fake Russian/German voice "Vat do you mean? Gordons alive? OPEN FIRE AAAAALLLLL VEAPONS!"

(and I thought I'd over blinged it on the turret front to start with)
:D
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Duggan wrote:
Regarding the Dark Rainbow variant of the Neocaduceus .

She still packs a mean wallop in Oolite 1.82 and the box download link in the first post seems quiet good still.. :)

Should anyone want to ...
Duggan, you get an MFP award - Most Faithful Pilot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now, I've been away from the Oolite scene for quite a while. So, before I edit the 1st post OK'ing the Dark Rainbow for 1.82, would someone tell me if the recent OXP format changes would pose some kind of problem for installing this almost-4-yr-old addon ? :roll:

Cheers everybody ! :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

There is a Neocaduceus OXZ in the download Manager in the game. I would say that the Dark Rainbow is incompatible with the OXZ.

However the OXP List is still hosting the Caduceus OXP at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Caduceus#Download

The Caduceus OXP is the one that does work with the Dark Rainbow upgrade.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Duggan wrote:
I would say that the Dark Rainbow is incompatible with the OXZ.
What is your problem? Now I put the content of Dark_Rainbow(Tweak_to_neocaduceus.oxp)_2011.09.14_A.zip into an oxz and works well at me using the current NeoCaduceus oxz.
If nothing serious or we can fix it and sdrubble allow me then I can upload into the manager.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you for making a dark rainbow oxz :) I will try it out.

Edit....Preliminary flights and combat testing seem fine .
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

@Norby -

Thx a lot for making the OXZ ! :D

Of course, you're allowed to upload it into the OXG Manager ! I don't think that an 'specific' permission for that was really required at this time, since an all-encompassing one has been present in the first post for more than a year, but it doesn't hurt at all to reaffirm it ! 8)

And if you feel like the OXZ might benefit from any tweak/fix/improvement/adjustment, and if you'd like to do it yourself - by all means go ahead ! In that regard, the DCN performance-improved script (see last post of 2013) comes to mind as a possible replacement. :wink:

@Duggan -

Thx a lot for the testing & reporting - I guess btw that's the 3rd or 4th time you do that after new Oolite releases ! :mrgreen:

@All -

Would you please take a quick look at the new section "Status Update - February 01, 2016", which I'm adding to the first post in a few minutes - maybe you might spot anything you'd suggest changing. :roll:

Cheers everyone, and good gaming ! :)
Last edited by sdrubble on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.