Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Progress

Post by Venator Dha »

Also have you zoomed in? The 1:1 looks the same.
Fooled me for a while :lol:
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Smivs wrote:
hud-small.plist is the plist for the small HUD as used by the Adder and Cobra Mk I.
Are you changing the HUD plists in the main game folders? This is not wise - you should make a copy of them to edit, then place the edited copy in a folder called Config and place this in your AddOns folder.
Also, remember to hold down the Shift key when starting the game to clear the cache.
OK, creating the config folder in addons did it. Turns out I did have the cloaking device indicator, pretty sure I just never noticed it for some reason.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

That is BRILLIANT - really helps a lot when salvaging after massacring a few pirates. Except that twice now I've assumed that the remaining pirates were much further away than they really were and got my arse kicked as a result, the non-linear scale will take some getting used to. But worth the learning curve!
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Yay! Another happy customer!

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The internal damage routine now gets called multiple times for high-damage hits (missiles, essentially)

There's a bit of a visual indication of nearby ECM bursts now. See what you think...

Bugfixes
- ship registration now returns to the interfaces list when done, like all the other core interfaces
- ship library screen is now consistent about shield strength
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

A featurette for the zoomable chart interface in tomorrow's nightly: Mousewheel can now be used in the Windows and Linux builds for zooming in and out at the Galactic Chart screen.
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Also from tonight you'll be able to drag the chart around with the mouse.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

I love you and I want to have your babies :mrgreen:

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

another_commander wrote:
Mousewheel can now be used in the Windows and Linux builds for zooming in and out at the Galactic Chart screen.
kanthoney wrote:
Also from tonight you'll be able to drag the chart around with the mouse.
Can I resist the temptation to spend more time playing with the map than actually flying between systems?

Less exciting from me - a new feature in the Scenarios support: "strict" mode is now generalised a bit more - a particular save-game can now support all OXPs (normal mode), no OXPs (strict mode), or some OXPs. You need to edit the scenario's savegame file directly for this.

As a result, you'll see that the Tutorial no longer loads existing OXPs. This is a feature I wanted to put in for 1.80 but didn't have time to, when we were getting various reports of the tutorial not working properly if particular OXPs were installed - but equally not wanting to make it impossible for graphics upgrades and especially translation OXPs to work with the tutorial.

If you are sure that your OXP works properly with the tutorial (and there is some benefit to it being loaded in the tutorial scenario - e.g. "Long Way Round" is compatible but there's no point in loading it anyway), add "oolite-tutorial-compatible" to the tags list in the manifest.plist.

Note that if you restrict a scenario to "some OXPs", any OXP without a manifest.plist will be disabled. If you're doing parallel OXP and OXZ format distribution, make sure you put the manifest in your OXP format one too.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Just a quick question: how do you decide when 1.82 is going to be in its final stages before release? I ask because I've died in my Hardcore game and felt like starting over once Norby finishes the mission OXP I've been writing dialog for.
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

mossfoot wrote:
Just a quick question: how do you decide when 1.82 is going to be in its final stages before release?
When it either has the features we want in it, or it's close enough that the remaining bits can be left for 1.84 and it seems better to release with what we have than to wait for more things. At the moment I'm not even sure what features I want to add to 1.82: I've mainly been working through a list of things I wanted to put in 1.80 and didn't have time for.

You'll probably see a few more things like the equipment proposal from me in the next month or so, as I try to collate suggestions that have been made in various places into a coherent feature set.

(I would guess the whole process will take somewhere between 9 and 18 months, so you can probably start another game in 1.80...)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
Just a quick question: how do you decide when 1.82 is going to be in its final stages before release?
cim wrote:
(I would guess the whole process will take somewhere between 9 and 18 months, so you can probably start another game in 1.80...)
Yup.. or were you thinking of 1.80.1 (the bugfix edition), Mossfoot?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Heh. That too ;)

But since some neat functions are already added in the nightly build (zooming galactic map) I'm tempted to use that, but don't want it to Bork on me in a new game once I'm well into it.

N
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

We haven't even really started getting to the "breaking things" part of the release cycle at the moment, so I really wouldn't advise using a nightly build for normal play.
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

cim wrote:
We haven't even really started getting to the "breaking things" part of the release cycle at the moment
Hey, I'm trying my best!