Can't seem to install Oolite 1.80?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eleanor Azuranai
Poor
Poor

Can't seem to install Oolite 1.80?

Post by Eleanor Azuranai »

I'm now trying to install 1.80 (i have no other versions on this PC), with no luck so far. First it got in a huge fight with the Comodo firewall/antivirus, and even with all permissions given, runs for about 1 second.

Turning Comodo off entirely, unistalling and reinstalling Oolite makes no difference.

When I launch the game, the icon appears in the task bar for about half a second then disappears. Nothing changes on the main part of the screen.

Can I has a clue, please? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Can't seem to install Oolite 1.80?

Post by another_commander »

First and foremost, I would just like to make clear that the Comodo alert is a false positive. There is no virus or malware in the Oolite installer.

Now, I understand that you did manage to install it after disabling Comodo, but it does not run, right? If you can, please post the contents of the file Latest.log after attempting to run the game. You can find it if you go Start->Oolite->Oolite Logs. This is the first crash-on-install report we are getting, so I imagine a local problem or interference by third party software.

Also, make sure you are not installing in a path with spaces. We have had reports in the past that things like Program Files or My Documents etc cause issues and that is why the game asks to be installed in C:\Oolite by default.
Eleanor Azuranai
Poor
Poor

Ooh, hi, thanks for the reply another_commander!

I am quite sure you are right about Comodo, it tends to be a bit over-protective (read: hyper-paranoid...having said that, I haven't had a malware problem in literally years).

okay, logs, yes, here we go:

in Computer - Local Disk (C:) - Oolite - Oolite.app - Logs, I have:

"Latest", which says -

Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-64) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2014-08-07 10:19:33 +1200.
4 processors detected.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

10:19:33.935 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
10:19:34.106 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1920 x 1080
10:19:34.275 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:19:34.328 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:19:34.384 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:19:34.384 [display.mode.error]: ***** ERROR: Could not create display surface: No video mode has been set
10:19:34.384 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Possible incompatibility between the splash screen and video drivers detected.
10:19:34.384 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Oolite will start without showing the splash screen from now on. Override with 'oolite.exe -splash'

Closing log at 2014-08-07 10:19:34 +1200.

and "Previous", which says the same thing.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-64) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2014-08-06 20:35:07 +1200.
4 processors detected.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

20:35:07.579 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
20:35:08.298 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1920 x 1080
20:35:08.500 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
20:35:08.554 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
20:35:08.610 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
20:35:08.610 [display.mode.error]: ***** ERROR: Could not create display surface: No video mode has been set
20:35:08.610 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Possible incompatibility between the splash screen and video drivers detected.
20:35:08.610 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Oolite will start without showing the splash screen from now on. Override with 'oolite.exe -splash'

Closing log at 2014-08-06 20:35:08 +1200.

So, uh, something about the graphical settings then? Hang on, lemme try oolite.exe -splash from CMD

Okay, that did the same thing, and I briefly caught a glimpse of two files appearing in the oolite.app folder, one of which was called something like "stderr" and "stdout".

The "Latest" log now reads: (the same)
Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-64) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2014-08-07 10:31:06 +1200.
4 processors detected.

10:31:06.466 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
10:31:07.191 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1920 x 1080
10:31:07.361 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:31:07.415 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:31:07.472 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: No video mode has been set
10:31:07.472 [display.mode.error]: ***** ERROR: Could not create display surface: No video mode has been set
10:31:07.472 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Possible incompatibility between the splash screen and video drivers detected.
10:31:07.473 [display.mode.conflict]: ----- WARNING: Oolite will start without showing the splash screen from now on. Override with 'oolite.exe -splash'

Closing log at 2014-08-07 10:31:07 +1200.

Hmm. -splash did not please it.

I have tried putting the Oolite installation in the Program files (x64) directory as well, same behaviour.

The video card is a Radeon HD 5850 with driver version 9.12.0.0 It hasn't been any trouble before.

What shall I try next?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Eleanor - just in case one of the boffins needs to know, was/is there any content in that stderr file?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Please try this: Go to the folder where the game is installed and go inside oolite.app/Resources/Config. You will find (amongst others) a file called logcontrol.plist. Open it using Wordpad (NOT Notepad) and find these lines:

Code: Select all

display.context.create.failed			= $error;
	display.mode.found						= no;
	display.mode.found.failed				= $error;
	display.mode.list						= no;
	display.mode.list.none					= $error;
	display.mode.list.native				= yes;
	display.mode.list.native.failed			= $error;
	display.mode.switch.failed				= $error;
	display.mode.unknown					= $error;
	display.initGL							= no;
Change all the no to yes in the above lines, save the file and rerun Oolite. It will abort again, but hopefully this time there might be some more information in the log. Post Latest.log right after this.

Also, as Cody said, if there is a file called stderr.txt remaining after the game has terminated and it is not 0 bytes in size, please post its contents too.

To me it looks like you may not have OpenGL support at all, which admittedly is quite strange, but let's see what the more verbose log will have to say.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Eleanor Azuranai wrote:
The video card is a Radeon HD 5850 with driver version 9.12.0.0
I think the latest driver for that card is 14.10.1006, so you may need to try an update (although I'm not au fait with AMD stuff anymore).
Eleanor Azuranai
Poor
Poor

Heyyyyy! :D :D :D

Super good clue! I have set the launch icon to point to "-nosplash" and right now I am seeing beautiful Elitey graphics and super exciting epic launch musics! SO HAPPY!!!

The cure:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hidden ... _in_Oolite
and
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:O ... meters.jpg

This post describes pretty much the same problem:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... rs#p192950

...and this one a similar symptom
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... rs#p139650

Now 'scuse me, I have some space adventuring to do... *rubs hands together gleefully*
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Great that you got it working! Just wanted to note that the game had already set up itself internally to bypass the splash screen after the first failed launch, so if you had actually launched it without the -splash switch it would have started correctly. Anyway, now that you have it all set up, don't change anything else, just enjoy it. Safe flights!
Eleanor Azuranai
Poor
Poor

Thank you Cody and another_commander for your helps!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oolite Customer Support - second to none! <buffs fingernails - grins>
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Okay, Got a problem here... my 1.80 was working fine then last night it started acting up. Did not add any thing new to the game, did not change my computer settings at all.
So now on exiting the station... everything is in monocolor changing from blue to green to yellow with no details at all BUT if I look back with F2I have normal view of the station. The rate is 4 fps when it was 60 before and cannot change that or can I???????
I have Deleted all Oolite folders and started from scratch and problem persists.
Below is the log just has it has been for the past 3 installs...

Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-32) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2014-08-08 22:29:17 -0700.
2 processors detected.

22:29:17.277 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 768
22:29:17.403 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
22:29:17.403 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1892"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
22:29:17.403 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (68):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
22:29:17.410 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
22:29:17.443 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
22:29:17.682 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
22:29:18.486 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.30 seconds. ==========
22:29:28.976 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 14 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.80
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.80
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.80
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.80
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.80
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.80
oolite-libPriorityAI 1.80
oolite-nova 1.80
oolite-populator 1.80
oolite-primable-equipment-register 1.80
oolite-registership 1.80
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.80
oolite-trumbles 1.80
oolite-tutorial 1.80
22:32:31.236 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on options screen.
22:32:31.236 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-08-08 22:32:31 -0700.

Help????
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Did some thinking and saw that in the log it said 32 bit?????? I downloaded the 32 bit version.
So I downloaded the 64 bit version for windows and it WORKS!!!!! !!

Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-64) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2014-08-08 23:05:01 -0700.
2 processors detected.

23:05:01.959 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 768
23:05:02.028 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
23:05:02.029 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1892"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
23:05:02.029 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (68):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
23:05:02.036 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
23:05:02.064 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
23:05:02.306 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
23:05:02.938 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.06 seconds. ==========
23:05:07.190 [exit.context]: Exiting: SDL_QUIT event received.
23:05:07.191 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-08-08 23:05:07 -0700.
So why did my 32 bit quit working after all this time? "the truth is, I just don't know".

Cheerio and slap a bargirls' derriere while quaffing a viscious brew in jubilation.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Cheerio and slap a bargirls' derriere while quaffing a viscious brew in jubilation.
<chortles merrily>