Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Market Observer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.2.8

Post by vaxon »

One minor issue.
Having 51.8Cr I accidentally clicked on Machinery at Leesti Commodity market.
Even though its buy price was 54.7, the "item bought" notification sound was played, and "0x54.7" appeared in the Purchases column.
No matter how hard I try to get rid of that 0 tons of machinery, it's still there in the Purchases column, even though no machinery is listed in the F5 screen.
BTW, machinery sell price was 51.0.

I also have a small question. Is it possible to have the same commodity list displayed when in flight?
Currently the in-flight F8 screen displays old list as if the oxp was not installed.

Thanks.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.2.8

Post by spara »

vaxon wrote:
One minor issue.
Having 51.8Cr I accidentally clicked on Machinery at Leesti Commodity market.
Even though its buy price was 54.7, the "item bought" notification sound was played, and "0x54.7" appeared in the Purchases column.
Thanks for the report. The sound is something that I can't do anything about. The oxp works so that the game does the normal buy transaction with the sell price (saying bling) and then that transaction is reversed and done again with the correct buy price. The log bug should now be fixed and new versions of both, Market observer and Commodity markets have been uploaded to the expansion manager.
vaxon wrote:
No matter how hard I try to get rid of that 0 tons of machinery, it's still there in the Purchases column, even though no machinery is listed in the F5 screen.
You'll probably need to do some save-file hacking here. Open the save file in any text editor except notepad and find the key mission_marketObserverBuyLog. Looks something like this:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_marketObserverBuyLog</key>
	<string>[[[1,41.374366588227076]],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]]</string>
That string there is your purchase log. It's an array of arrays, one for each commodity. In this case I have once bought food. To remove that from the log, I have to delete

[1,41.374366588227076]
vaxon wrote:
I also have a small question. Is it possible to have the same commodity list displayed when in flight?
Currently the in-flight F8 screen displays old list as if the oxp was not installed.
It is possible, but I have decided not to implement it. Market observer uses a hack that defines it's own hud and abuses the message log to overlay the screen with text. When in-flight messages are more frequent and important than when docked and thus it's not a good idea to utilize the message log for this purpose.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.2.9

Post by vaxon »

Thanks for the update. I really like these commodity market oxps, they add more realism to the game.

I have also managed to remove the buggy string from the log as you suggested.
Thanks!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.3

Post by spara »

Updated to version 2.3.

* Screen printing routine partially rewritten to support different fonts. Tested to work with the default font and Dangerous Square font.
* A couple of new ads included. Try to spot them.

With changes this big I most probably have broken something, so please report weird behaviour. This update is solely cosmetic. Statistical functions are not touched, so no worries about your traders rating.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.3.1

Post by spara »

New version 2.3.1. I did not find any bugs, but made a discovery, hair space character works in message log too :D . No more lingering with the Dangerous Font! And while I was at it, I optimized the printing routine as much as I could while keeping the code simple. Which is quite a lot when comparing to the previous version :oops: .

Here's a piccie using the Dangerous Font:
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Thanks for that! I love the Dangerous Square font (and Market Observer, natch) and now I'm free to use it :D
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Robin
Average
Average

Post by Robin »

Hi, I've been trying to install this from the in-game expansion pack manager (with which I have installed 30 or so expansions without problem), but after downloading the 4.4MB it says download failed, check the latest log. From the log:

22:57:13.020 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 2.79 seconds. ==========
22:57:28.935 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /Users/robin/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.oxz/manifest.plist as a property list.
Unexpected character { at line 1
22:57:28.935 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not contain a manifest.plist, has been left in /Users/robin/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.oxz

I tried to look to see if it was the kind of thing I could fix (unbalanced brackets in a manifest.plist file or something) but I'm afraid that I couldn't even work out how to view the oxz contents without it starting up oolite, they don't seem to have the view package option that oxp folders used to have (playing 1.80 on a mac). It's probably something I've done or presumably others would have had similar problems. Any help would be appreciated, the market system looks great :-)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Robin wrote:
I couldn't even work out how to view the oxz contents without it starting up oolite
The OXZ format is just a zip file. Change the extension from "oxz" to "zip" (or add ".zip" on the end), and you should then be able to extract the contents.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Missing semi-colon, last line.

{
	"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.spara.market_observer";
	"required_oolite_version" = "1.79";
	"title" = "Market Observer";
	"version" = "2.3.1";
	"category" = "Equipment";
	"description" = "Enhances the market screen by showing ads and trading information. Trade information includes statistical price data and purchase log. This oxp also gives a trader's rating based on your buys and sells.";
	"author" = "spara";
	"information_url" = "http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/MarketObserver";
	"license" = "CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0";
	"tags" = ("market", "trade")    <--------- Missing semi-colon!
}
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.3.2

Post by spara »

Thanks Wildeblood :D . Fixed in 2.3.2.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A brand new version (3.0) for Oolite 1.81 utilizing the new funky market features. Lots of previous OXP features dropped out in favor of the new market screen. What's left in is:

* Average column showing the system price average of the last 100 systems visited.
* Purchases column showing a purchases log of commodities in cargo hold.
* Trader's rating calculated from purchases log when selling.
* Ads :D .

Market Inquirer OXP for trunk will follow in the future. I'll have to ponder about the Commodities Markets OXP.

Download (3.0): https://app.box.com/s/t0f4acbtimb4uj7arhw7
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. now I'm confused.. first you say
spara wrote:
A brand new version (3.0) for Oolite 1.81
1.81 is, in other words, trunk, but then you say:
spara wrote:
Market Inquirer OXP for trunk will follow in the future.
which makes me think you meant to say that 3.0 is actually intended for Oolite v1.80.

Clarification, please?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Ok.. now I'm confused.. first you say
spara wrote:
A brand new version (3.0) for Oolite 1.81
1.81 is, in other words, trunk, but then you say:
spara wrote:
Market Inquirer OXP for trunk will follow in the future.
which makes me think you meant to say that 3.0 is actually intended for Oolite v1.80.

Clarification, please?
It's a different OXP. Market Inquirer is his horrible cheat OXP that shows remote markets without you needing to visit them. :evil:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Clarification, please?
It's a different OXP.
Heh.. that'll teach me to read things more carefully.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Dizzy, that's actually a fair question. Trunk (1.81) has a new, more flexible system for commodities that is not fully compatible with oxps that mess with markets and cargo manifest. More than a few oxps will be affected and need to be updated/rewritten, if they are wanted to work with the trunk. This most notably includes all oxps that present stations with markets. From my catalogue Market Observer OXP needed the biggest change, it's practically a rewrite. Market Inquirer OXP and Commodity Markets OXP need to be fixed too.
Wildeblood wrote:
Market Inquirer is his horrible cheat OXP that shows remote markets without you needing to visit them. :evil:
You are such a charmer. I know I should not even answer, but I just can't resist :mrgreen: . With the core game Market Inquirer basically does nothing more than show you the distances in the interfaces when docked. I would not call that a cheat. Only when you install certain selected station OXPs, you will see their markets. For "Stations for Extra Planets" that's a feature as they are meant to mimic the main stations. For others the line is thinner and I'm happy to exlude stations if the station author feels I'm breaking his/her OXP. Personally I find myself visiting secondary stations a lot more often when I know there's something worth visiting.