Problems upgrading to Oolite 1.80

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Arsemyth
Average
Average

Problems upgrading to Oolite 1.80

Post by Arsemyth »

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from 1.77 to 1.80.

I have tried using the command oolite-upgrade but I get the message 'command not found'.

I have uninstalled my copy of Oolite 1.77, and downloaded the 1.80 installer from the http://www.oolite.org download page.

It is sitting in my downloads folder as oolite-1.80.linux-x86.tgz. I have extracted oolite-1.80.linux-x86.run from this and double clicked on it.

Nothing happens...

What am I missing here?

All help appreciated!

Roger
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Problems upgrading to Oolite 1.80

Post by Lone_Wolf »

the installer should be executed by bash, open a terminal and navigate to the folder you extracted the installer to.

then execute ./oolite-1.80.linux-x86.run

Note : you are aware you downloaded the 32-bits version ?
most pcs/laptops newer then 3/4 years run 64-bit linuxes.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Arsemyth
Average
Average

Post by Arsemyth »

Hi Lone_Wolf,

Thanks, that worked a treat.

I am running the software on an old Dell laptop which is very much a 32 bit machine. One day I'll get something a little more up-to-date!!

Rog
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Arsemyth wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from 1.77 to 1.80.

I have tried using the command oolite-upgrade but I get the message 'command not found'.
Just for the record, the command is oolite-update. If you have Oolite installed system-wide, you can just execute it from a command prompt, no matter the path. If Oolite is installed in the user home, then you must define the location path too; ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite-update
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Getafix wrote:
Just for the record, the command is oolite-update. If you have Oolite installed system-wide, you can just execute it from a command prompt, no matter the path. If Oolite is installed in the user home, then you must define the location path too; ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite-update
Hmm.. but wouldn't the change from terrastorage.dyndns.info to terrastorage.no-ip.info break the update even if the correct command was given? After all, there's no way for it to have been corrected once 1.77.1 was installed.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

No it wouldn't. :)
It would fail for terrastorage and then it would try with alioth server and upgrade from there.
(alioth had an issue with the 64bit linux updates, but I have contacted winston on the matter and this has been fixed)

Anyhow, for Oolite 1.80 I recommend a normal "clean" installation; at least the first time it is installed.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ahh.. alioth has been failing for so long for me I never even gave it a thought.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied