Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Installer for 1.65 posted

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Installer for 1.65 posted

Post by dajt »

Hi, the final 1.65 installer for Win32 can be downloaded from http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... up_id=2999.

Good luck commander!
Regards,
David Taylor.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Yay! Well done. :D
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Fantastic as always.

When can we get speech into the Win version?
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

My Win version does have speech....maybe that's from an OXP. If it is, I can't tell you which one, sorry CWolf
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That would be custsounds.oxp. These are pre-recorded samples of what seems to be the standard OS X speech synthesiser, and can’t adapt (e.g. by saying the name of the current system/planet).
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

In that case, I recomend you download it CWolf - here's the link http://oosat.alioth.net/node/71
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I think CWolf is referring to the speech that is presently in Mac version only (as far as I know). We Win users have that custsounds.oxp to admire, but if I've understood it correctly, Maccies have a plethora of other spoken sounds as well...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

CWolf wrote:
Fantastic as always.

When can we get speech into the Win version?
At the moment, you won't. While there are a few free speech libraries available, none of them are simple enough for it to be an easy job for one of the Linux or Windows developers to shoe-horn them into Oolite's code.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this. :wink: Especially as the Mac speech code is somewhat flaky and has been responsible for crashes on some systems.

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

You know what, I think we need to sample our own voices (although that may well mean doing away speech for the planet name for system arrival, unless someone makes a convincing way to jam the syllables together OR pre-record 2048 system names!)

It'd certainly sound better than synthesis - the trouble is finding someone with a voice that sounds right. Or perhaps several different voices so you can have the one you want. And then finding somewhere to record them where you won't have background noise in the samples, and a decent mike with a pop screen so all the P and S sounds don't sound terrible! Of course, given Oolite's lineage to Elite, they must be British voices too :-) (Although that would of course include the Scots and Welsh and those in Northern Ireland who consider themselves British. I'm trying to imagine a lilting Welsh voice saying "Incoming missile" now...)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

There's more than that - syllable sounds (phonemes) have to blended into each other to sound right, and text to phoneme conversion isn't trivial either.

It's a challenge to be sure!

hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

The date stamp of the download is 5 May 2006. :? Please verify. Thanks.
Azzameen
Average
Average

Post by Azzameen »

The Maccies also have "i-tunes integration".
I have i-tunes on my PC and thought it would be a bit more relaxing to do the integration on the PC, too. Would that be possible?

And for the speech:
I doubt anybody in this forum remembers the old German science-fiction "Space Patrol" from 1966? I always thought that mechanic computervoice sounds better than that from STAR TREK.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Is there no way to tie in "Microsoft Sam"? I thought that could be used in the same way as on the Mac. Sure, it will sound really bad for some system names (M$ Sam makes me laugh anyway) but it's a start...
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Azzameen wrote:
I have i-tunes on my PC and thought it would be a bit more relaxing to do the integration on the PC, too. Would that be possible?
Certainly not using the same mechanism as on the Mac. If you find a scripting interface for iTunes under Windows, I’m sure dajt would be interested in hearing about it. ;-)