Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Diziet Sma »

kanthoney wrote:
Heh heh heh... helluva way to dock a 'Conda.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

kanthoney wrote:
i7 processors are hyperthreaded, so each core can do two things at once. So a dual core i7 is effectively a quad core.
I'm a bit confused about this. I've seen lots of talk about E:D having a requirement for four cores, but

a) Core count has not been well related to actual performance since... I don't know, the Xeon days.
b) Is E:D really, truly coded for multiple cores? Does it ACTUALLY do two things at once?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

zevans wrote:
Is E:D really, truly coded for multiple cores? Does it ACTUALLY do two things at once?
As I understand it, yes - from what I've read, it uses all four cores, and is designed that way.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Cody wrote:
zevans wrote:
Is E:D really, truly coded for multiple cores? Does it ACTUALLY do two things at once?
As I understand it, yes - from what I've read, it uses all four cores, and is designed that way.
So... HT might not be good enough then, because if the game is EXPECTING four cores it seems likely that stalls will be down to keeping them fed with data; which means NEITHER virtual processor on the core will be able to do anything...
Cody

Post by Cody »

From the executive producer, and main man...
Michael Brookes wrote:
Hyperthreading doesn't count as cores. The game is multithreaded.
... does that help? <grins>
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

Cody wrote:
From the executive producer, and main man...
Michael Brookes wrote:
Hyperthreading doesn't count as cores. The game is multithreaded.
... does that help? <grins>
Perfect :-)

After half an hour of looking on the official forum, it seems yer man needs to tell a few hundred of his forum users some basics about hardware ...
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins> I sometimes wish he'd simply tell a few hundred forum users to shut-the-****-up!

If you haven't seen it already, this page is informative - their in-house engine simply had to be named Cobra, eh?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
their in-house engine simply had to be named Cobra, eh?
Even the logo for the Cobra Engine has a certain "look" about it.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

Must annoy the hell out of devs of a certain age who remember CORBA :-)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

So after a Sunday afternoon reading about this nonsense it seems the CPU and memory bandwidth differences between Sandy -> Ivy -> Haswell are pretty marginal, so it's all about having 4 actual cores rather than two, provided you go for one of those generations.

(The improvements have largely been in power consumption or the on-chip gfx acceleration, or more widgets for non-gaming use cases, so won't make any difference if you're going for a meaty GPU anyway, as you would with E:D.)

"If you bought a Core i7-2600K a while back, then we can tell you without the shadow of a doubt, that there is absolutely no need to get rid of it and replace it with a Core i7-4770K."
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsec ... 23&page=14

Thus, I am in the market for a used Sandy or Ivy 3GB+ and I shall now stop this thread hijack!
Cody

Post by Cody »

There are several people playing E: D happily on a Q6600, btw.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Pissed as hell because it turns out the specs (those with quad core) that have been oft-quoted are recommended, not minimum, and people have been quoting them as minimum.

If I had known, I'd have bought the beta, and now it's too late, not to mention I don't have 35 pounds on hand. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Zireael wrote:
Pissed as hell because it turns out the specs (those with quad core) that have been oft-quoted are recommended, not minimum, and people have been quoting them as minimum.

If I had known, I'd have bought the beta, and now it's too late, not to mention I don't have 35 pounds on hand. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Actually, back before the Alpha started there were quite a few discussions about this in the PBF. In one of those Michael Brooks said that he considered a true 4 core CPU running at 2GHz as a minimum for running the game well.
Michael Brookes wrote:
Quad core is the minimum spec, anything under that is likely to be unplayable.

Michael
Together with all the other comments and discussions I think the result is that this has been considered an undeniable truth even though there are a few who claim that they are running the game fine on 2 core CPU's.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
In one of those Michael Brooks said that he considered a true 4 core CPU running at 2GHz as a minimum for running the game well.
Michael Brookes wrote:
Quad core is the minimum spec, anything under that is likely to be unplayable. Michael
That's the thing, ain't it - running the game well. I see those claims too, and I see some very low fps numbers from people using dual cores.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cody wrote:
Gimi wrote:
In one of those Michael Brooks said that he considered a true 4 core CPU running at 2GHz as a minimum for running the game well.
Michael Brookes wrote:
Quad core is the minimum spec, anything under that is likely to be unplayable. Michael
That's the thing, ain't it - running the game well. I see those claims too, and I see some very low fps numbers from people using dual cores.
True, but I still see some that claim to run it well (on low graphics settings mind you) with a duel core. They do have a decent graphics card though (but still below what Michael recommended).

Only time will tell, but since ED is using true multi threading I wouldn't bet on a decent experience with just two cores.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).