Improving AIs?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Improving AIs?

Post by ArkanoiD »

I sometimes use cloaking device to see what does happen when i am "not watching"
The results surprised me. A single ship hardly kills any other single ship at all, because of lack of agressiveness and ability to track one target without drawing attention to less significant ones. I've seen a Behemoth and a handful of military ships dancing forever around 3 thargoid warships without doing serious harm to each other. Pirates are no better. Things change only when a human player appears, they seem to hate me more than anyone.

Shouldn't it be improved? And - a thargoid should always attack ships in range, as well as other ships must make aliens their primary target even if they were fighting among themselves?

I'd like to see more really agressive pirates with human-like behavior - ones that use injectors not only to escape or to do impressive but quite useless maneuvers..
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Improving AIs?

Post by aegidian »

ArkanoiD wrote:
I'd like to see more really agressive pirates with human-like behavior - ones that use injectors not only to escape or to do impressive but quite useless maneuvers..
Yup.

I'm working on it. The entire AI system is getting an overhaul to fit in with my plans about instincts and behaviours - which should lead to improved attack plans and emergent group behaviours (flocking, flock - attacking etc.)
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!