On Thargoid Carrier again (v 1.65)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

lucabu
Competent
Competent

On Thargoid Carrier again (v 1.65)

Post by lucabu »

Hello,

the problem with fragmentation still stands in v. 1.65... Making the Thargoid Carrier to Explode generates about 600 objects, and this slows down performance dramaticaly. (about 6 FPS) No way to play the game at that point. Need to jump to another system.

Maybe explosion needs a little tune-up on very big ships?

Luca.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: On Thargoid Carrier again (v 1.65)

Post by aegidian »

lucabu wrote:
the problem with fragmentation still stands in v. 1.65... Making the Thargoid Carrier to Explode generates about 600 objects, and this slows down performance dramaticaly. (about 6 FPS) No way to play the game at that point. Need to jump to another system.

Maybe explosion needs a little tune-up on very big ships?
It'd help if you gave some more details of your system. My development rig works okay with several hundred objects in a system, so some way of scaling maximum objects to system specs might be useful (perhaps capping the number of temporary objects as the FPS fall).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
It'd help if you gave some more details of your system.
Oh, ok. :roll: I have a ATI Radeon 9000 something (I am away from home, I'll be more precise about that as soon as possible...) with 128 Mb ram, AMD Athlon 2500+ and 512 Mb system memory. Running Linux Slackware 10.2.

Let me know if you need more details.

Luca.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

lucabu wrote:
aegidian wrote:
It'd help if you gave some more details of your system.
Oh, ok. :roll: I have a ATI Radeon 9000 something (I am away from home, I'll be more precise about that as soon as possible...) with 128 Mb ram, AMD Athlon 2500+ and 512 Mb system memory. Running Linux Slackware 10.2.
That's a nice system, probably at least as fast as mine, and the frame rate doesn't recover after the explosion? (As the temporary objects disappear?)

lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
That's a nice system, probably at least as fast as mine, and the frame rate doesn't recover after the explosion? (As the temporary objects disappear?)
Yes, it's indeed a good machine. Well, when I move away from explosion location, FPS remains low (about 6), it doesn't recover. It seems strictly related to obj count, not to objects actually near the ship.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Forgive me interrogating you like the Spanish Inquisition, but since you're using the FPS/object-collision counter can you recall how high the collision counter got (it's the last number in that display).

Collision detection has been (for me) the main issue for trying to get Oolite faster. And if that counter's not through the roof (in the thousands) that means I've been barking up the wrong tree.

lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
Forgive me interrogating you like the Spanish Inquisition, but since you're using the FPS/object-collision counter can you recall how high the collision counter got (it's the last number in that display).
Well, bug-squashing requires to exactly define in wich circumstances a potential problem may occur, so you have to interrogate me :wink:

I am in trouble to answer you in this moment, and I am really sorry for that. I am away from home for all the week, and I can't do anything to check the collision counter :?

So, please forgive me, but should we leave this issue open until this weekend? Then I'll post you all the informations you may need.

Thank you very much for your support and your patience.

Regards, Luca
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I seem to recall a collision count in the hundreds of thousands (!) after seeing a Behemoth blow up… and well under 6 FPS. (iMac G5, 1.6GHz; GeForce FX 5200)
Dark1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Dark1 »

I too noticed this. A destroyed Thargoid Carrier leaves a screen full of alloys which slows my Powerbook down to a juddering crawl.

Incidentally, what also effects the speed is when the space background is of the red nebula effect. Strangely, no other nebula colour effects it to any great degree.
This message was brought to you by the Dark 1 - Have a nice day!
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

Dark1 wrote:
Incidentally, what also effects the speed is when the space background is of the red nebula effect. Strangely, no other nebula colour effects it to any great degree.
Yes, I noticed it too :? . Red nebula effect slows down FPS when is rendered to the screen. I cannot say about other colors on my platform (as I said I'm running the game on Linux), but I am sure about red...
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I have a slow down on my laptop, (2.0 Ghz Pentium M, 2 Gigs Ram, 64 Bit Gentoo Linux) after destroying motherships... but not all the time. When it does occur it doesn't get better without restarting the game. Can't establish much more of a pattern I'm afraid. The CPU gets pegged at about 80% and the FPS drops to under 10, despite the object count going back down to normal figures.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Having just tested (using SVN head): I misjumped and got a bunch of Behemoths and Thargoids. Soon the game froze up; I held down *, and the first subsequent frame had 368 objects, 56616 collisions. This very quickly dropped to 2000 collissions, and after a few seconds it was down to 355 objects and 1 collision, with the ships still hanging around… which suggests the collision counter is broken.
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
Collision detection has been (for me) the main issue for trying to get Oolite faster. And if that counter's not through the roof (in the thousands) that means I've been barking up the wrong tree.
Ok, I had a look to Collision detection. When I entered the system I had 80 FPS, 70 Objects and 20 collisions. Then I made the Targhoid carrier explode, 1 FPS, 750 Objects and 33000 collisions for 2 seconds. In 10 seconds FPS went to 6, and collisions went down to 200. Stats were quite stable at that point: just a slightly decreasing collision (to about 180) in one minute, but FPS still to 6.