Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Using pre-1.8 Assets with 1.8?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Vintage
Poor
Poor

Using pre-1.8 Assets with 1.8?

Post by Vintage »

Hey, first time poster here. Does anyone know if there's an expansion pack or ingame option which restores the assets from before this new release? I like the new AI and other features but I really don't like the fact that a lot of the expansion packs I've been using now look really out of place! Thanks in advance and please tell me if I should direct my concerns to a different subforum.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Using pre-1.8 Assets with 1.8?

Post by spara »

You mean ships and such? Any old replacement set should work when combined with cim's Shipset Compatibility oxp.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Vintage - which OXPs and how do they look out of place?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

Simple solution: Install more expansion packs! Add every ship, mission and dockable you can find. When you will have such a rich, full and varied Ooniverse that everything looks out of place, nothing looks out of place!
Vintage
Poor
Poor

Post by Vintage »

Sorry, I wasn't clear. By Pre-1.8 assets, I meant the default ships from 1.77 and before.

http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/9/9 ... Cobra1.png

As for what looks out of place, a lot of (I guess older) system flavor OXPs, like Dictatorships, Feudals, Anarchies, Galactic Navy, and Commies OXPs. Also, a number of older ship OXPs, like Python Class Cruiser, Transports, Vampires, etc, which I can make "ready" for 1.8's new role/AI features, but which I can't really produce new models and stuff for. I know it must seem like a really silly concern, but I can't help it - even if both styles (old and new) look good, seeing one very high detail ship next to a rather minimalist design bothers me.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

Easiest fix is a non-technical one - rationalise it in your head.

In the canon of Oolite, most of the ship designs you encounter (Cobra, python etc) have been around for decades, if not centuries. That's a long time in the world of design and fashion, and it's a big old galaxy besides. There are different manufacturers (often working from the same blueprints) and different roles (military, commercial) that can affect the way a ship looks. You can easily imagine that a Python built in 3150 would look different to one made in 3200, even if they have the same specs. It's not hard to imagine that a military blockade runner won't have a similar look to an executive gadabout.

So, at some time and place in your Ooniverse, it was fashionable to build ships with smooth surfaces and primary cartoon colours. Ships built elsewhere/ elsewhen have gritty-looking matte hull-metal and greebling.

Simples.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Vintage wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. By Pre-1.8 assets, I meant the default ships from 1.77 and before.

http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/9/9 ... Cobra1.png

As for what looks out of place, a lot of (I guess older) system flavor OXPs, like Dictatorships, Feudals, Anarchies, Galactic Navy, and Commies OXPs. Also, a number of older ship OXPs, like Python Class Cruiser, Transports, Vampires, etc, which I can make "ready" for 1.8's new role/AI features, but which I can't really produce new models and stuff for. I know it must seem like a really silly concern, but I can't help it - even if both styles (old and new) look good, seeing one very high detail ship next to a rather minimalist design bothers me.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
For more of a 'vintage' look I suggest testing Smivs' ShipSet and [wiki]Accessories OXP[/wiki] with cim's compatibility oxp. Get 'em from the wiki.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Galactic Navy has a set of newer textures available for download, so I guess same modernized textures could be made for the others.

Also, I always rationalized the design differences as the ship's viewscreen being faulty/shorted/shot up/whatever. So it gave you what it thought the ship looked like and not the real, sleek, triangle-less design.
Vintage
Poor
Poor

Post by Vintage »

You know, it seems like there isn't really a solution to my problem at the moment. While I appreciate the help, I really do like the old designs and really want to make use of them, alongside older expansion packs. With that in mind, I think I'm going to try and solve it myself. I can't really produce models or textures, but I have an installation of 1.77 on another computer, which at least provides me those models and textures to work with.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Vintage,
I'm a big fan of the old styles as well :)
Spara kindly suggested my shipset, which is the old models, just re-textured, so if you grab the 'replace' version and use cim's shipset compatibility OXP, you should be close to what you want.
The really good news (if you missed it) is that I also plan to produce a 'Classic Gold' set to eventually replace this which will be even closer to the old default textures (but with lots of bells and whistles), but as this will involve a lot of work, it will be a while I'm afraid.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Vintage, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Smivs wrote:
Hi Vintage,
Spara kindly suggested my shipset, which is the old models, just re-textured, so if you grab the 'replace' version and use cim's shipset compatibility OXP, you should be close to what you want.
The really good news (if you missed it) is that I also plan to produce a 'Classic Gold' set to eventually replace this which will be even closer to the old default textures (but with lots of bells and whistles), but as this will involve a lot of work, it will be a while I'm afraid.
Can't wait for this classic Gold shipset, then!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Zireael wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Hi Vintage,
Can't wait for this classic Gold shipset, then!
And when it's available, I wouldn't mind to see P.A. Groove's Oldships and Captain Beatnik's Coluber Ships to be oxzified. That would make a nice 'old-school' set with lot's of variation. And at that point, I might dig up my X-ships re-texture and oxzify it to go along.