Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"Get me a visual on that. Closer damn it!"

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

"Get me a visual on that. Closer damn it!"

Post by capt.Pirk »

Yes, you got it. How about a x2 / x5 on screen magnifier?
You know it makes sense.It would certainly fetch a credit or two :)

I haven't found the scanner zoom to be of any pracical use (yet). I might be dumb, but the above makes sense to me...

"Okay sir. What do you bid for this marvellous digital zoom module? Pristine condition, one careful owner. Come on place your bids now!"
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Helpful with cargo scooping for me...
Team Zorg are Go!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Would be good for making use of the full range of a millitary laser.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Pah. Using the full range is quite possible, with skill… and mouse control. (I occasionally kill things that are sufficiently far away that they’re not drawn at all, using the scanner and advanced targeter to aim.)
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Hmm, being a laser, I wonder what the maximum range is. Presumably in real life, it would be more or less infinite...
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

You're a laser? Wow.

:wink:

Sorry. I couldn't resist that joke. Fun with grammar!

Anyway, lasers do have a limit to their range of effectiveness. I was just reading an article about a real-world plane-based anti-missile laser in development. It was mentioned that the laser had a limited range of only about 200 nautical miles (and it was detailed how the designers went about increasing this range, but that's not important to my point).
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The ABL’s range is almost certainly limited primarily by atmospheric diffraction. In space, this is an insignificant issue for the first few hundred thousand km and the range of a beam weapon will depend on how collimated the beam is.
toejoe
Poor
Poor

Post by toejoe »

Nice idea. but i think that in zoomed mode you should not be able to fire phasers, ups. lasers :) It would spoil the fun...
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Yeah, I was thinking that being able to zoom in and shoot would turn combat into a sniper exercise. Blah.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Ahruman wrote:
The ABL’s range is almost certainly limited primarily by atmospheric diffraction. In space, this is an insignificant issue for the first few hundred thousand km and the range of a beam weapon will depend on how collimated the beam is.
Indeed. Which means the damage inflicted would decline by the square of the distance. The flip side is that the challenge of aiming would remain constant regardless of distance.

Hey, now there's an idea. Wouldn't it make sense if laser strength decreased as one's ship approached its overhaul period? Recollimating the lasers sounds like the sort of thing that would be done at that time. And it would provide greater incentive to get that maintenance done.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Ahruman wrote:
In space, this is an insignificant issue for the first few hundred thousand km and the range of a beam weapon will depend on how collimated the beam is.
Ooh, we've actually got a data point for this. The Mars Laser Communication Demonstration will shine a laser back at us from about 344 million kilometers, at which point the spread will be one quarter the size of the USA.

"Do not look at Mars with your remaining good eye." :twisted:
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

"looks at Mars" MY EYE!!! IT BURNS!!!!!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Odo987 wrote:
The flip side is that the challenge of aiming would remain constant regardless of distance.
Only if you have infinitely precise eyesight and controls.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

If lasers would diminish in quality, all equipment should be included and overhaul would increase with additional EQ...
(this may already happen as overhaul is calculated as a fraction of ship value, and I believe EQ is included in this sum)

If equipment would begin to fail, I'd want to choose for specific tuning sessions for say the ECM or the injectors.
I could live without a fuelscoop, but mising one or both of those could make spacelife hazardous!
Riding the Rocket!
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Ahruman wrote:
Only if you have infinitely precise eyesight and controls.
Don't you? 8)

But seriously, the beam size is expanding proportional to the distance. So difficulty should remain constant, no? That is, assuming one can see the ship at all.

Hey, it just occured to me that the Mars Laser Communication Demonstration will actually have to shot-lead their laser! If it takes roughly 8 minutes for the beam to reach Earth, aiming at the desired quadrant of the US would guarantee a miss. Yes, you can 'dodge' a laser.