Mission headings in 1.81

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Mission headings in 1.81

Post by Neelix »

cim wrote:
And now, on to the 1.81 nightly builds and new features no-one will get much use out of for months. Here's the first one:
The "mission.setInstructions" method can now, as well as taking a string, take an array.

Code: Select all

mission.setInstructions(["Medals:","Silver Star of Courage","Solageon Campaign Medal","Thargoid Defense Citation"]);
If you do, the first array element becomes a heading, and the remaining elements become sub-items. Should be useful for any OXP which sets more than one instruction at once (e.g. a general reputation line and a current mission description), as well as (suggested here) cross-OXP displays of similar information.

Am I the only one thinking we should come up with some recommendations for OXP writers regarding what section headers to use?
I can easily see 4 OXPs resulting in 4 variations of the "Medals:" section otherwise.

To begin with I would like to propose the following section headers be recommended to be used as 'standard':

"Awards:" - It's less specific as to the type of award than "Medals:"
"Reputation:" - for all those OXPs that add reputation indicators to this area
"Equipment:" - for things like Ironhide and RepairBots that used this area for equipment status.

Thoughts?

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Mission headings in 1.81

Post by mossfoot »

A miscellaneous heading (or subheadings under equipment) for stuff like ships cats and tea makers? ;)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

mossfoot wrote:
A miscellaneous heading (or subheadings under equipment) for stuff like ships cats and tea makers? ;)
hehe :-)

Seriously though in that regard, I think having a "Miscellaneous:" section as a default for anything OXP added which doesn't specify a section heading would make the most sense... (in which case OXPS that actually add mission briefs would need to explicitly use the heading "Missions:")

That said, the ships cat OXP doesn't put anything on the mission screen anyway! :-)

- Neelix
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Neelix wrote:
To begin with I would like to propose the following section headers be recommended to be used as 'standard':
This seems a sensible idea.

Also add "Passengers", "Parcels" and "Contracts", since I want to adjust how those entries get displayed - that way all your passengers end up in one section rather than the core ones being in one list and the OXP ones being somewhere else.

If you can come up with some agreement on what the headings should be based on existing OXPs - and there's not a ridiculous number - I'm happy to add those strings to the core descriptions.plist, which means that translations can use them and you don't then up with OXPs saying "Passengers" but the core game (after translation) saying "Reisijad" and separating the lists out again.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

cim wrote:
If you can come up with some agreement on what the headings should be based on existing OXPs - and there's not a ridiculous number - I'm happy to add those strings to the core descriptions.plist, which means that translations can use them and you don't then up with OXPs saying "Passengers" but the core game (after translation) saying "Reisijad" and separating the lists out again.
Nice! (I hadn't even considered how translations would affect it)

OK, so far we have the following:

"Passengers:"
"Parcels:"
"Contracts:"
"Missions:"
"Awards:"
"Reputation:"
"Equipment:"
"Miscellaneous:"

At this point, I think that easily covers all the use-cases I've seen, but there are a lot of OXPs I've never even looked at, so I'd be interested to know if there are any other 'common' ones, or any suggested adjustments to the ones in the list.

- Neelix