Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Two niggling things

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Two niggling things

Post by ffutures »

Just downloaded 1.80 for 64-bit Windows and in general have no problems with it. Game play seems good, not noticing any speed issues (if anything it's better than 1.77, all of my add-ons are either replaced with new versions or working so far.

Just two questions:

Is there any way to re-enable the use of the numeric keypad for selection on menus? I'm VERY used to this, and really don't like the little arrow keys on the middle cursor pad, especially because I can't easily press enter with the same hand - for some reason it's harder than doing so with the numeric pad.

And what is the little circle thing to the left of the pitch indicators on the HUD? Don't recall it there before, and have no idea what it's for.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Two niggling things

Post by cim »

ffutures wrote:
Is there any way to re-enable the use of the numeric keypad for selection on menus? I'm VERY used to this, and really don't like the little arrow keys on the middle cursor pad, especially because I can't easily press enter with the same hand - for some reason it's harder than doing so with the numeric pad.
Yes - in your local copy of keyconfig.plist change the key_gui_arrow_left setting to use the numpad left arrow rather than the normal left arrow. Key numbers for the numpad are 310 to 319 for numbers 0 to 9 respectively.
ffutures wrote:
And what is the little circle thing to the left of the pitch indicators on the HUD? Don't recall it there before, and have no idea what it's for.
Joystick precision mode indicator.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

cim wrote:
ffutures wrote:
Yes - in your local copy of keyconfig.plist change the key_gui_arrow_left setting to use the numpad left arrow rather than the normal left arrow. Key numbers for the numpad are 310 to 319 for numbers 0 to 9 respectively.

OK, that seems simple enough, thanks!
ffutures wrote:
I'm really going to have to RTFM, I have no idea what this is.

later - the code change did the trick re the menus, I'll read up on the joystick thing later.
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

I've just tried adjusting my flight controls to the numberpad using those codes, and it works in flight. However it took me a while to work that out because I kept checking the "View Keyboard Settings" option from the start menu, and it kept telling me I had other keys assigned.

k instead of numpad 1
L instead of numpad 2
L instead of numpad 3
| (or possibly I) instead of numpad 4
? instead of numpad 5
| (or possibly I) instead of numpad 6
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
cim wrote:
I'm really going to have to RTFM, I have no idea what this is.
In a nutshell, precision mode reduces the sensitivity of the joystick/controller by a factor of three, so that fine control is easier. This is especially helpful for lining up long-distance sniping shots, or when docking, where usually even a small amount of movement is too much.

If you don't use a joystick or game-controller, the indicator and mode don't matter.. if you DO use one, the new non-linear joystick response curves are so good that, once you have them correctly set up, you won't even need precision mode. The button that used to toggle precision mode on my 'stick is now set to take screenshots instead! :D
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

How do I go about fine tuning the joystick? Is there a guide?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Not yet.. but it's been on my mind to make one. I'll take care of that today.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
How do I go about fine tuning the joystick? Is there a guide?
Now there is.. :D

1.80 Joystick Axis Profiles - a HOWTO Guide
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Eldon wrote:
I've just tried adjusting my flight controls to the numberpad using those codes, and it works in flight. However it took me a while to work that out because I kept checking the "View Keyboard Settings" option from the start menu, and it kept telling me I had other keys assigned.
<Starts list of bugs to fix for 1.80.1>

Thanks - now fixed in the development build.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

How do I enter / exit precision mode?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Go to the joystick setup part of the menu and tell it what joystick button to use.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Smivs wrote:
Go to the joystick setup part of the menu and tell it what joystick button to use.
Right - for some reason I've never messed around with that - OK, that works very nicely especially for docking. For some reason I'm finding it hard to learn the new rotation speed (and unused to hermits rotating at all!) and this really helps.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Incidentally, I made an odd discovery with the joystick settings.

I use a USB twin-stick joypad, the usual cheap as chips thing you can get for around a fiver on ebay. I generally find that it works marginally better if I press the "analog" button which is supposed to make it a better imitation of an analogue joystick. When I programmed the new stick controls I naturally used that setting - today I suddenly found that none of the new controls were working. It took me a while to realise that the Analog light was off. As soon as I switched it back on everything was back to normal.

I'm guessing that this control applies some sort of modifier to the codes returned by the other buttons, but its something to be aware of if you have this type of stick.
romulus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by romulus »

cim wrote:
ffutures wrote:
ffutures wrote:
cim wrote:
ffutures wrote:
ffutures wrote:

Thank you :) this solution works in Linux too.