Help! I'm new at this!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Help! I'm new at this!

Post by maik »

spud42 wrote:
you can right click on the py script and then select "open with" if python isnt in the list then use the browse button...
Only you can't give the file name of the .obj as a parameter then...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

maik wrote:
spud42 wrote:
you can right click on the py script and then select "open with" if python isnt in the list then use the browse button...
Only you can't give the file name of the .obj as a parameter then...
The purpose is to set up a file-association that Windows will then remember afterwards.. not to try and convert the .obj then and there.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
RebelRunner
Poor
Poor

Post by RebelRunner »

Thanks, Thargoid; I did use the actual filename in the command prompt- I'm new to this, but not that new to computing :lol: :lol:

So, I tried the command C:\(directory)>python obj2dattex.py C:\(same directory)\ship1.obj. It returned yet another error; I'd already changed the working directory so the redundancy seems to have been the issue.

I then tried running it in my Python interpreter (I know...I figured it was worth a shot) using the syntax obj2dattex.py ship1.obj, this gave me a syntax error. Go figure :?

The error seems to be related to something in line 31 of Obj2DatTex.py, if that helps. < inputfilename, "r">

Basically, I'm using the syntax Thargoid recommended...it's just not working for me for unknown reasons.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Which version of Python do you have installed?
RebelRunner wrote:
The error seems to be related to something in line 31 of Obj2DatTex.py, if that helps. < inputfilename, "r">
Could you post the exact error message, please?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied