Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Post by mossfoot »

I have to take the opportunity to pimp the works of a great sci-fi humor writer I know: Toby Frost. He has a great series of books set in a kinda steampunk future taking place in the Second British Empire. I say "kinda steampunk" because all those cogs and levers are strictly an aesthetics issue rather than basing a future on steam power taking us to the stars.

Actually I wrote a book review for the series in KODT magazine some time back, so I'll just link to it here:

http://www.noahjdchinnbooks.com/2013/06/26/kodt199/

Honestly, this seems like the sort of series that would go over really well here (the author used to play a lot of Elite back in the day, too ;) )
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Post by Diziet Sma »

I finally remembered to read your review.. an excellent review, and it sounds like an excellent series!

Will have to see if I can find them here in Ozland.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Post by Diziet Sma »

Dammit, Mossfoot.. you've got me hooked on Fuzzy Knights, now! :x
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied