Problem with cargo space. Oolite 1.79

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Problem with cargo space. Oolite 1.79

Post by vsfc »

Hi Commanders,

I have a bit of a problem with cargo space. I am flying mining transporter which has 12T. Recently been scooping splinters and when I get 9 scooped it shows that all 12 T are full. Cargo Manifest shows 9 minerals, 4 kg gold, 7 kg platinum and 5 grams of gems. I was using ore processor to process splinters in flight. As soon as I dock the tonnage displayed correctly. Not sure at the moment where to look or what to provide you for investigation. I had new cargoes OXP installed and this strange behavior started as soon as I went to Special cargoes screen. Can’t find is save file what to remove to stop this behavior.

Cheers,
vsfc
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Problem with cargo space. Oolite 1.79

Post by spara »

Those valuables (gold, platinum and gems) take space from the cargo hold when scooped/processed from minerals. They get transferred into the safe of the ship when docked, thus freeing cargo space.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

vsfc wrote:
Recently been scooping splinters and when I get 9 scooped it shows that all 12 T are full. Cargo Manifest shows 9 minerals, 4 kg gold, 7 kg platinum and 5 grams of gems.
Are you sure that you only scooped 9 items? From your inventory you have scooped 9 minerals, 1gold, 1 platinum and 1 gems. That adds up to 12 scoopings to me.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Could the F8 screen be adjusted to show how many TC the Platinum, Gold or Gemstones are taking up in these cases? (perhaps added in parenthesis after the actual weight?)

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Neelix wrote:
Could the F8 screen be adjusted to show how many TC the Platinum, Gold or Gemstones are taking up in these cases? (perhaps added in parenthesis after the actual weight?)
Yes, that seems the best solution, since this keeps confusing players.

Added for tonight's build (as a bonus, manifest.list entries now have a "containers" property showing how many hold containers are currently being used)

Thanks
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

Thanks for clarifications.

On the latest build I made the following tests.

1 Sold all my platinum, gems and gold. Got off the rock hermit and scooped 12 splinters. By using ore-processor I got 7 kg gold and 3 kg platinum. F5-F5 screen correctly showed that gold and platinum are in separate 1 T containers. When I docked to hermit F5-F5 screen updated like all were moved to safe and after selling cargo I had 12T free with gold and platinum in safe. After getting off and scooping at least one splinter F5-F5 screen showed again that gold and platinum are in 1 T containers taking up 2 T each so ones I got also gems I had only 9 T of available space.

2 Still having gold, platinum and gems in the safe I bought 11 minerals and got off the rock hermit. F5-F5 screen showed correctly the tonnage and staff in safe. After scooping 1 splinter the F5-F5 screen showed 12 minerals plus staff in safe.

The third test I would like to perform is to have 8 minerals in cargo plus gold, gems, platinum in safe and see what it will do ones I scoop 9th mineral.

It seems to me there is a problem with gold, platinum and gems to remain in safe, they get moved back in to individual 1 T containers once something else is scooped.

vsfc
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

vsfc wrote:
After getting off and scooping at least one splinter F5-F5 screen showed again that gold and platinum are in 1 T containers
Did you get both Gold and Platinum from processing the splinters?
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

cim wrote:
Yes, but really it does not matter. I tried buying one of each gold, platinum, gems and I could scoop only 9 splinters. F5-F5 screen showed that each of these goods stored in 1 T storage.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

vsfc wrote:
cim wrote:
Yes, but really it does not matter.
It does. The (1TC) indicates that 1TC is being used to carry it, but not that 1TC is necessarily being used to carry all of it. So:

- dock at station, buy 2 each of gold, platinum, gems: each takes 0TC
- launch from station, each still takes 0TC
- scoop splinter, each still takes 0TC (and you have 1 TC of minerals)
- process splinter into gold: the way this is implemented in Ore Processor is to change the cargo contents of the splinter object from 1t Minerals to (e.g.) 3kg Gold. You now have 2kg of Gold in your safe, and 3kg in a mineral splinter in your hold: this will be reported on F5 F5 as "5 kg Gold (1TC)". If you dump the splinter, this will change back to "2kg Gold".
- (repeat for other splinters)
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

tested specified sequence:
cim wrote:
- dock at station, buy 2 each of gold, platinum, gems: each takes 0TC
Passed
cim wrote:
- launch from station, each still takes 0TC
Passed
cim wrote:
- scoop splinter, each still takes 0TC (and you have 1 TC of minerals)
Failed - F5-F5 showed each takes 1TC and F8 screen shows 4/12 TC
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

For what is worth, I replicated cim's test and the results were exactly as he described. I had a clean install of Oolite 1.79 with only the Ore Processor OXP for v1.79 installed. Could it be some other OXP interference that is happening in your installation, vsfc?
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

Hi Commanders!

On the separate 1.79 install I was also able to replicate cim's test having just few oxps installed.
another_commander wrote:
Could it be some other OXP interference that is happening in your installation, vsfc?
This is very possible, because on my main install I have lots of oxps. Narrowing down will be very time consuming and I would like to do it from the dark side.
Can someone specify what objects, properties are responsible for above behavior and I'll do a grep search of the code? Then I will do a test with selected OXPs.

Thanks,
vsfc
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Anything that writes to player.ship.manifest or to manifest could be doing this. The easiest way to do the transfer from safe to cargo pod would be

Code: Select all

manifest.gold = 0;
manifest.gold = amount;
but I expect it's somewhat more subtle than that.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

vsfc wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Could it be some other OXP interference that is happening in your installation, vsfc?
This is very possible, because on my main install I have lots of oxps. Narrowing down will be very time consuming and I would like to do it from the dark side.
Have you tested without oxps? Just to make sure it is an oxp problem?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

vsfc wrote:
Can someone specify what objects, properties are responsible for above behavior and I'll do a grep search of the code? Then I will do a test with selected OXPs.
The fastest way to identify the culprit is using the binary method.

1. Remove all OXPs and test, to confirm that the problem actually is OXP related.
2. Install half the OXPs and test. If problem does not manifest, remove the OXPs and install the other half of the OXPs. Test again.
3. When the set which contains the problematic OXP is identified, divide that set of OXPs in half, and test each half again. Repeat until culprit is identified.

Even if you have hundreds of OXPs installed, this will track down the one causing the trouble in a maximum of ten iterations.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied