Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Open Pandora Oolite

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Open Pandora Oolite

Post by Diziet Sma »

milinks wrote:
I'm also putting together a How-to for the Pandora Oolite, and wish to incorporate things on from the wiki, and also the oolite boards, should I ask for permission for individual works, as I don't want to annoy anyone with any plagiarism , obviously I was respect the respective owners works etc.
If it's on the Wiki, it's fair game.. as for info posted on the boards, I wouldn't expect any problems.. we all love having our work promoted, as well as anything that creates new addicts.. err, I mean, new fans of Oolite..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@milinks: I would recommend that whoever is involved with the port to the Open Pandora take a look at the development version (currently 1.79) as well. The reason is that we are close to a new release of Oolite, which is leaps and bounds ahead from 1.77.1 and uses new libraries like OpenAL for sound etc. It would be good to have a port of the new version ready to go once we officially launch.The latest development code is available from github from this link: https://github.com/OoliteProject.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
The reason is that we are close to a new release of Oolite, which is leaps and bounds ahead from 1.77.1 and uses new libraries like OpenAL for sound etc.
Does this mean the plan is to leap right past 1.80?

And how close is "close"?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Diziet Sma wrote:
The plan is that next release will be tagged as 1.80.
And how close is "close"?
About this much exactly. :-P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
The plan is that next release will be tagged as 1.80.
Sorry.. I had a brain-fart.. I meant 1.78, of course. Will that see the light of day, or be skipped?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sorry.. I had a brain-fart.. I meant 1.78, of course. Will that see the light of day, or be skipped?
Well, with the 1.78 codebase being just minor bug fixes to 1.77.1 at the moment, and with 1.79 already out in the wild in the form of nightly builds and with development heavily concentrated on it, I think nobody will really care if we just skip the 1.78 version number.

If there are more questions about versions and upcoming releases, I would suggest starting a new topic in Discussion, so that we keep this Pandora port thread clean from external noise.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
I think nobody will really care if we just skip the 1.78 version number.
<sheds a solitary tear for 1.78>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cody wrote:
<sheds a solitary tear for 1.78>
<adds another tear for 1.66, just for completeness' sake> :wink:
Digital86
Competent
Competent

Post by Digital86 »

I understood everything, thanks.
My English is very poor.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

There are a growing number of oolite enthusiasts due to the recent port to the Pandora, and hopefully there will be a few new members to this amazing forum :) I made a write-up / review of oolite, call it what you will, for the Pandora which you can find HERE

I thought I would put the review here for your general information, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could / would give your honest critique, so that new users to oolite could read this and be able to have an idea as to the good, bad and the ugly! I'm asking for severe critisicm so that i can make it as good as possible and give readers the best possible information. I've not been around the oolite community for about 6 years (which says i'm still enthusiastic after all this time). I want to be able to pass on the most conscise and relevant info to the Pandora community, so please, feel free to rip this pdf apart, give me the wrongs, the rights, and anything that can be mentioned, as i can give Pandora users the best info and opinions available (heres me hiding behind the walls of critisicm, but wanting to use this pdf to promote ALL you guys have done for oolite), so please read this and let me know what you think, I'm a mushroom fed on **** and want to be enlightened :)
many thanks :)
(thanQ to Dizzi - Diziet Sma - for their help and advice in making the Pandora port of oolite more real) - If there is anything ANYONE feels should be mentioned please tell me, i will gladly add, or retract anything to make this document beneficial , thanks for all the help you guys have gien already :)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

milinks wrote:
I made a write-up / review of oolite, call it what you will, for the Pandora which you can find HERE
Very nice work! Contain detailed reviews of many OXPs, especially from a player's viewpoint. It is an interesting and useful document not only for Pandora users but all players, worth to link into the wiki when you think it is ready.

My notes:
-Oolite is the common name and not oOlite.
- There are many pictures in low resolution, I think worth to use better ones even if the size of the pdf will be more times larger.
- An additional html or other version with sharp images can be good also.
- The simple Towbar is not expensive, only the additions.
- The first pic in the 17.page has too much height imho.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

The Pandora port has been updated to the v1.79 yesterday after the freeze, and it is an amazing upgrade, many thanks to all who have made it as brilliant as it is. Just currently trying to iron out a few graphical issues amongst others. One question i would like to ask is with regards to the flight screen with the information window
Is this part of an upgradable equipment, as running oolite without oxps as a new pilot doesnt show it, so was just wondering if it was an OXp thing or an oolite upgrade etc. Also, as its not currently showing on the Pandora, trying to figure out what issue could be causing this... many thanks
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

That's an OXP (I can't remember which one, though).

The panels are used in the core game too, but only in the tutorial.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Brilliant! thankyou cim :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

IIRC, that's from the Gallery OXP/Z.