Status Quo, Chapter Four.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Status Quo, Chapter Four.

Post by drew »

Edit : Individual chapters no longer available, but you can download the complete version here

This my 'zap kapow' chapter. I've never written a space battle before. Hopefully I've pulled it off with a bit of panache. It's a space trading/combat game after all!

Feedback welcome as always!

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Really enjoying this, Drew :) Though now I'm starting to feel guilty about all those traders I've lasered into oblivion...!
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

One tiny niggle: "Lay on Macduff, little sister" sounds odd (since Macbeth was addressing Macduff) - I'd just have "Lay on, Macduff," Red replied.

(Actually, most people would probably say "Lead on, Macduff", meaning "Let's go", but maybe Red is a Shakespeare buff!)
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Dammit, I can't help it once I've got started! One more thing to note for the future - you occasionally make an error called the comma splice. But then so do most writers (and subeditors)...

Okay, *two* more things! Consider using hyphens for compound expressions/adjectives preceding a noun:

"long, drawn-out route"
"tech-mad Tionisla"
"seven-light-year jumps"
etc

I'll stop now :) God, that felt good!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Roberto wrote:
One tiny niggle: "Lay on Macduff, little sister" sounds odd (since Macbeth was addressing Macduff) - I'd just have "Lay on, Macduff," Red replied.

(Actually, most people would probably say "Lead on, Macduff", meaning "Let's go", but maybe Red is a Shakespeare buff!)
I actually thought that Drew was using 'lay on Macduff' as a corruption of an archaic phrase (which, let's face it, most of our speech would be to a 32nd century bod). In a thousand years, 'lead on, MacDuff' could become 'lay on Macduff' quite easily, the same way some twentieth century words and phrases are contractions or corruptions, for example the term OK.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Nice Chapter - I'm going to use a quote from it on Oolite's website in future!
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

I like it. Also I agree - missquoting is a lot more realistic.

To be honest, it wouldn't suprise me if by the time this is set Shakespere hasn't been re-translated to "Modern speak" - like the Bible.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

"Lay on, Macduff" is the actual quote from Macbeth; "Lead on..." is the corruption! But yes, by the 32nd century, people could be saying "Lay on" again - especially since (regardless of how the language has evolved) they would undoubtedly still have access to the (fixed) Shakespeare text.

Anyway, this is getting over-analytical :) Roll on chapter five...
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I guess in an age dominated by spaceflight, the phrase "lay in a course" could result in "lay on" being used as "go ahead", "lead on" :)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Looks like Oolite physics should be improved ;-)

Post by ArkanoiD »

A fews second of uncontrolled spin after side collision shouldn't be hard to implement, why not?

But why didn't Jim destroy the Courier after collision? Its shields should be weakened so it could not stand a good blow of military laser..
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

One discrepancy with Oolite: you *do* scoop escapepods, at least since 1.65 one can do that. If they're pirates it gets you bounty for capturing them; civilians you get paid by insurance....

So that part jars a bit with the Ooniverse we've come to know...

To loosely quote Giles: even NPC ships go out of their way to scoop escapepods, with the new A.I. ....

Great stuff, other than that.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
One discrepancy with Oolite: you *do* scoop escapepods, at least since 1.65 one can do that. If they're pirates it gets you bounty for capturing them; civilians you get paid by insurance....

So that part jars a bit with the Ooniverse we've come to know...

To loosely quote Giles: even NPC ships go out of their way to scoop escapepods, with the new A.I. ....

Great stuff, other than that.
I guess scooping escape pods became common practice later.. ;-)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Comma Splice - Guilty as charged, I prefer it as a style though. :wink:
Never liked hyphens much. Had a girlfriend with a hyphenated name long ago, never recovered! :shock:

As for the 'Lay on, MacDuff'... All of your explanations are much better than mine, choose one of the above!

Which quote btw, Aegidian? Look forward to seeing that!

I only just upgraded my copy of Oolite yesterday and discovered the pod scooping business in 1.65. This is obviously a result of the 'great pod scooping caper' that happened during the holiday season of 3141, way after the events being portrayed.... :lol:

Would be interested in seeing some collision 'shake, rattle and roll'. It could be interesting!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Comma Splice - Guilty as charged, I prefer it as a style though.
It pains me, because it's just, well, wrong, and running two sentences together usually makes things worse for the reader (unless, as in the example on Wikipedia, the sentences are v short and alike). But hey, no one seems to care about grammar these days - well, outside the publishing world, anyway.
Never liked hyphens much. Had a girlfriend with a hyphenated name long ago, never recovered!
This is more understandable :)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Fair enough. I'm getting more partial to the good old semicolon, so will put that to good use instead!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter