Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Missiles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

davidmpratt
Above Average
Above Average

Missiles

Post by davidmpratt »

Which ships can be destroyed by:
1. Ordinary missiles; and
2. Hardened missiles
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Missiles

Post by Smivs »

Pretty much anything, provided it doesn't have an ECM, in which case regular missiles would be wasted. Hard-heads are, of course, ECM resistant so will normally get through (but not always!), and a ship with injectors will normally be able to out-run any missile.
Thargoids have a superior ECM which can disable even hard-heads.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoids also have a chance of being able to shoot the missile down using their turret laser.

Quite a few ships are sufficiently big or well-shielded that a single missile won't be enough to destroy an undamaged ship, though it'll probably convince them to flee.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

There are also kinetic damage effects to take into account..depending on the relative vectors and velocities involved, a given missile will do more or less damage to a given ship. So a "tail-chaser" will do considerably less damage than one involved in a high-speed head-on collision.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Diziet Sma wrote:
There are also kinetic damage effects to take into account..depending on the relative vectors and velocities involved, a given missile will do more or less damage to a given ship. So a "tail-chaser" will do considerably less damage than one involved in a high-speed head-on collision.
<nods> The difference between "Thunk!" and "BOOM!" can be a narrow one indeed... :oops:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ranthe wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
<nods> The difference between "Thunk!" and "BOOM!" can be a narrow one indeed... :oops:
Try a Nexus Ultimate missile sometime.. four larger than standard, injector-equipped warheads, in a single missile.. it's the Oolite version of a MIRV ICBM. Between the large warheads and the kinetic advantage of the injectors, plus the fact that the injectors get the warheads closer to the target before detonation (yet another factor in damage calculations, btw), the damage potential is huge.. I've taken out a Kiota station with just one of 'em.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Also, even if they have injectors or ecm, some ships are real chickens when it comes to missiles. I've scared off interceptors with a plain ol' missile, then tore out of there before they came back and got me back in mass-lock.