No Keyboard Control after Thargoid Attack on Station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

No Keyboard Control after Thargoid Attack on Station

Post by CommRLock78 »

I have had this happen a several times, but today I had been doing a bit of business in the NW of octant (galaxy) one and I hadn't saved after a doing a few things, thinking I'd be okay until I reached my destination, until this happened to me again. I shouldn't say I have no keyboard control, but I sure can't switch screens. I was in the process of saving my game when the third Thargoid attack in as many minutes (literally) occurred. I went out for the first two, and went to save my game after the second but right as I was navigating the menus the attack screen came up and I somehow entered the "Ummm... I got to go fix my flux capacitor" option. After returning to the F5 screen, I cannot switch to any other screen, yet alone F2 to save all of my progress... which is quite lame :evil: .

My Latest.log in dropbox.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: No Keyboard Control after Thargoid Attack on Station

Post by JazHaz »

Was you docked at a main station? Was the thargoid attacks in vanilla Oolite or part of an OXP? If the latter you need to report this in the relevant OXP thread.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
or part of an OXP? If the latter you need to report this in the relevant OXP thread.
Even when oxp induced, it stays an oolite bug. The attack can be triggered on almost any screen. But the save screen is excluded :wink: No idea what is happening though and if triggering at very specific moments could be harmful. Never heard it before.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Is the game clock on your HUD still advancing?
Do keys not involved in switching screens still work? If so, does going to/from full screen and back do anything? Does switching to a different application and back do anything?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

@Jaz - Yes, I was docked at a typical Coriolis station. I'm not sure to be honest if it's vanilla or OXP, since I do have Thargoid Wars installed. I do know that they were fairly run-of-the-mill attacks, with three bug warships.

@Eric - This happens so quickly, but the screen had to have popped up while I was on the F2 screen, because I have to press down once and enter to get to my save file, just like one has to push down and enter to opt for the stay inside option (which is the second option on the list).

@Cim - yes, the game clock was actually still running. I could use the right/left arrows on the F5 screen and P for pause, all other buttons, including F12, didn't do a thing.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Vanilla or OXP?
Unless I've missed a big change this must be OXP surely. I'm not aware of Thargoid attacks on the main station in vanilla, and I've certainly never had a mission screen or whatever telling me about it while I've been docked.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Smivs wrote:
Vanilla or OXP?
Unless I've missed a big change this must be OXP surely. I'm not aware of Thargoid attacks on the main station in vanilla, and I've certainly never had a mission screen or whatever telling me about it while I've been docked.
That was my hunch, that it's the OXP. I should honestly play a bit more strict mode to see the differences, and I just so happen to be in a position to do just that now that I got an old dell laptop the other day that seems to be running vanilla just fine ;).

Edit: This is a going to be hard to reproduce, since I will have to be docked in a station while it is attacked,but I will try :).
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

What type of systems are most likely to come under attack? That would make reproducing this bug much easier :D.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

It is pure a random change. Thargoids have preference for specific systems. When you have the console installed, you might paste the following line in the console:

Code: Select all

missionVariables.thargoidwars_station_attack = "POSSIBLE"
That will trigger the attack some time after the next docking.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Eric Walch wrote:
It is pure a random change. Thargoids have preference for specific systems. When you have the console installed, you might paste the following line in the console:

missionVariables.thargoidwars_station_attack = "POSSIBLE"
That will trigger the attack some time after the next docking.
I've mostly been avoiding going out on station attacks, but did tonight, and I had this annoying bug happen again. I will try this code now that I have the debug console :D.
Edit: I neglected to mention that this is not typical to the problem I was having before - this time I had gone out for the attack, and when I re-entered the station I had absolutely no keyboard control other than the arrows on the F5 screen (nothing else works).

I may have found a work-around, I found this key in my save-game, and changed the string to impossible:

<key>mission_thargoidwars_station_attack</key>
	<string>IMPOSSIBLE</string>
I also found this and changed the string to possible :mrgreen: :

<key>mission_thargoid_ambush</key>
	<string>POSSIBLE</string>
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I just had this happen again in 1.77.1, Linux x86_64, from oolite.org. :(

It was weird because I happened to launch this time as opposed to saying "no", and I had full yaw, pitch, and roll control, as well as lasers, just none of the number keys, nor the Function keys worked :? .
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I suggest you remove Thargoid Wars?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

A number of OXPs cause weird bugs in the latest trunk, sometimes ones that one would not suspect of being the culprit. Looks like Thargoid Wars may be another to add to the "has issues" list.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Since it's mainly been reported in 1.77, I doubt this is a trunk issue (on which, if you could get me a list of those OXPs and issues it would help to tell me whether the problems are OXP bugs being exposed by changes, inevitable consequences of changes, or bugs in the nightly releases which should be fixed)

I can't see anything obvious that would lock out the controls in these circumstances - and certainly it's a core rather than OXP bug if it happens - but I'll take another look over the weekend.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The only way I can see that this could happen is if the gui screen was stuck on GUI_SCREEN_MISSION even after the mission screen was over. If it happens again, in the case where you launch from the station, try activating your docking computer (slow, not fast) - once it's active and autopiloting you through the docking procedure, then try pressing one of the F-keys. If that works, you should then be able to turn off the docking computer and go from there.

If it happens again while docked, there's probably not much you can do, though.

I'll keep looking for ways it might possibly happen.