Oresrati, the outpost at the end of the Ooniverse...

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Oresrati, the outpost at the end of the Ooniverse...

Post by Ranthe »

Having been inspired by a number of the Oolite stories that people have released, I've been toying around with writing some Oolite fiction of my own. My main idea at this stage is something along the lines of "Operation Pedestal IN SPAAAACE!", with that well-known Chart 8 holiday destination of Oresrati substituting for Malta. The premise for a resupply convoy going there is still being worked out but all of them assume that Oresrati is inhabited (by colonists, involuntary exiles, and self-exiled criminals)...

... unfortunately which contradicts Drew's story "Mutabilis" that has the Oresrati system as basically barren uninhabited rocks: "...and there was no good reason to go; no stations, no trading posts, not even rock hermits."

I guess my question comes down to: Is it an issue for the Ooniverse if my version of Oresrati contradicts what has been defined so far as 'canon'?
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oresrati, the outpost at the end of the Ooniverse...

Post by cim »

Ranthe wrote:
I guess my question comes down to: Is it an issue for the Ooniverse if my version of Oresrati contradicts what has been defined so far as 'canon'?
Well, if you go there in game you'll see a station, a planet, probably some ships (in 1.79 you'll see considerably fewer ships because there are no neighbouring systems for them to come from, but you'll still see a few once you get up close).

Whether oofic or the game is more canonical is obviously a matter for some debate. Obviously it would also be possible for someone to make a Mutabilis-Oresati OXP that made the system more like the fiction - in the spirit of the Tionisla Graveyard OXP - but no-one has yet, so far as I know.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Ranthe wrote:
I think the concept of canon when it comes to Oolite is a bit of an oxymoron.

Everybody's Oolite is unique to themselves, so I suggest you go ahead and don't feel constrained by anything that's gone before. Mutabilis was written in 2008, so maybe it's time for a reboot/reimaginging anyway! :)

You've certainly got my blessing.

All the best,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Write your tale, Ranthe - stuff supposed canon!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DruidDave
Above Average
Above Average
Location: Byron Bay Australia. (Poor Agricultural; Anarchy; Tech level 9)

Post by DruidDave »

Yours could be a Parallel Ooniverse. :wink: :lol:
On the trail of clues leading to galaxy 9
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

cim wrote:
Well, if you go there in game you'll see a station, a planet, probably some ships (in 1.79 you'll see considerably fewer ships because there are no neighbouring systems for them to come from, but you'll still see a few once you get up close).
drew wrote:
Everybody's Oolite is unique to themselves, so I suggest you go ahead and don't feel constrained by anything that's gone before.
Good points - thanks! I shall continue plotting a plot for the story, as well as sending out "Commander Pathfinder" on a cross-galaxy research run to Chart 7 and beyond...
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The existence of Raxxla invalidates canon. Even the destruction of Raxxla invalidates the canon where Raxxla is destroyed.

The existence of that planet in any universe at any time has happily loaded cause and effect, into a WWI artillery piece and defenestrated it with a merry "boom".

Raxxla is not a writing get out of jail free card, it's a writing get out of universe free card. Turn Oresrati into a my little pony and fairy princess happy clappy candy world where everyone farts rainbows and gumdrops if you like. Thanks to Raxxla, your bullet proof...... :D
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Thinking about Raxxla, we/I dont know why the late Robert Holdstock chose the name, but based on the other details in the Dark Wheel he must have had access to valid planet names, maybe he was told the algorithm because Raxxla cannot be generated as a name. The xx would have to replaced by a choice described at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list
The valid choices for xx would give
  • Rala
    Raala
    Raalla
    Ralela
    Raxela
    Ragela
    Razala
    Racela
    Rabila
    Rasola
    Rausla
    Raesla
    Raarla
    Ramala
    Rainla
    Radila
    Rarela
    Raerla
    Raatla
    Raenla
    Rabela
    Rarala
    Ralala
    Ravela
    Ratila
    Raedla
    Raorla
    Raqula
    Raanla
    Ratela
    Raisla
    Rarila
    Raonla
and only one of these actually exists,
Rainla in Galaxy 4 : a well-sited Poor Industrial Anarchy near the Foundry's Reach. It doesn't look like a promising place anyone would want to visit from afar, perhaps making it ideal for a plot point.
White dots were so much easier to hit
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nice bit of detective work.. well done.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Nice bit of detective work.. well done.
Agreed!
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'