Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Return from lost in space

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

willo
Above Average
Above Average

Return from lost in space

Post by willo »

Hello I have returned to this game after a long break ( a thargoid virus crippled my mainframe; leaving me stranded in space and forcing a system re-boot ha ha, I lost all my game saves.
I was wondering if anyone has any spreadsheets or something similar containing planet goods prices, even though very fluctuate slightly, or if anyone has any tips for New Cargoes Oxp trading.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Return from lost in space

Post by Smivs »

Hi willo. Glad you made it back :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome back, willo - do check out the parcels contracts, they can be very handy.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Welcome back willo (although I think I missed you the first time around...)
willo wrote:
...a thargoid virus crippled my mainframe; leaving me stranded in space and forcing a system re-boot ha ha, I lost all my game saves.
The little &#%%+>$!... They do make some rather nice oxps though :wink:
willo wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has any spreadsheets or something similar containing planet goods prices, even though very fluctuate slightly, or if anyone has any tips for New Cargoes Oxp trading.
I think that's on the wiki somewhere...

Do you mean average prices like these? http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Trading

Not got much exerience with New Cargoes.
I expect you may have found these links already but cim's your man for that one on this thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11519
...and on the wiki here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/New_Cargoes

I hope that's of some use to you.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

willo wrote:
I was wondering ... if anyone has any tips for New Cargoes Oxp trading.
Yes.. pay VERY close attention to everything said in the [EliteWiki] New Cargoes Trading Advice wiki page. It should become your bible.

Permits for transporting contraband are, for the most part, a system whereby the Govt can legally steal almost all your profits. And as for any hot tips you get from TraderNet.. be VERY sure you can make the entire run in time, before you set out. That said, you will occasionally see outrageously profitable prices quoted on some goods in TraderNet.. if you are close enough to a known source, and you know of a system that needs that particular good, you can make amazing amounts of money. This is where keeping notes helps.

Keep a large notepad handy, and make use of it religiously, every time you're docked. You will want to keep track of various bar rumours, and TraderNet notices of things like hot or ultra-profitable items, particularly interesting auctions, and so on. In your travels, you will also want to keep track of certain systems you come across, and the more profitable of their favoured imports and exports for future reference. It will also help prevent you from making embarrassing (and very costly!) mistakes, such as getting zero-G cricket and zero-G hockey items mixed up.

Above all, be sure you have a sizable chunk of credits in reserve.. never blow all your cash to get a contract, no matter how profitable the deal you've found seems.. sure, you can make big profits, but you can also incur big losses if your luck runs out. and at some point it will run out.. having a reserve will keep you from having to go back to milk-runs to build up capital again.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Welcome back, have fun!
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies