Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Extra Planet/Moon textures - now Additional Planets.oxp

Post by Astrobe »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Astrobe wrote:
DHS tweaks the sun corona (this feature is also found in distant Sun OXP among others). Noticeable pentagone-shaped distortion near the planet poles. Low-res and standard res packs are available. Add up to 20 planets and 10 moons to systems.
I would just like to note that this is not an issue with DH-Systems, but is, in fact, imposed by Oolite itself when the planet is textured using an equirectangular (latlong) map. Cube-mapped versions of most of my textures are produced, but I've never released them... Might get round to it soon.
That would be nice; that distortion is a no-go to me. That's too bad because DH is a good all-in-one package.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Astrobe wrote:
Definitely cloudy for earth-looking ones.
Sounds sensible to me...

So with that in mind, I've released a new mini pack of 20 earth-like demux planets with added cloud layers.
(Link plus new pictures from the first post of this thread).

Playing with the cloud layer and tweaking the image settings has made a bigger difference than I thought.
The planet below is from the Alien Worlds mini-pack, which is almost ready...

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Astrobe wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Astrobe wrote:
Noticeable pentagone-shaped distortion near the planet poles.
I would just like to note that this is not an issue with DH-Systems, but is, in fact, imposed by Oolite itself when the planet is textured using an equirectangular (latlong) map. Cube-mapped versions of most of my textures are produced, but I've never released them... Might get round to it soon.
That would be nice; that distortion is a no-go to me. That's too bad because DH is a good all-in-one package.
You could always just pretend it's somehow related to Saturn's real-life Polar Hexagon.. :wink:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

In order to make installation easier, you could provide the packs in an archive with full tree of folders, so that the texture folder lands in the right place. Your latest pack could be archived as:

AP_Demux_alien.zip
| Additional_Planets_0.5.6.oxp
| | textures (floder)
| | | ... lotsa textures.png ....
| Readme_AP_Demux_alien.txt

The extra readme is there both to tell the unaware user to get the main pack, and to serve as a reminder of which packs have been installed already.

The downside of course, is that you'll have to redo allof your packs if you have to bump your version numbers. Maybe there is a better, and not to complex, way?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Hi Astrobe.

Hmmm... You've got a point there.

I suppose the main pack is so tiny relative to even the smallest texture pack that I could even include it within each of the texture packs. Then one could simply download the packs that were of interest before merging them... but if you didn't merge them for any reason :| ...

I'll have a think about it.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Another Mini-Pack added to the first post: 'Ocean Worlds'.

Meanwhile, I could be wrong but... I think I might just be on to something...

Overlook, if you can, the gargantuan mountain ranges, the stupendously large flora and the ever so whispy clouds, and consider that this texture was produced randomly (sort of).

I found a free 'action' add-on for photoshop that produces random, circular, 2D planets. With a bit of tweaking, I got it to produce random lat-long texture maps.
It requires feeding 4 or 5 component textures (e.g. seas, mainland, beaches) and then it's off.
I added the cloud layer myself as I didn't think it wasn't doing a great job of that on its own viz.:

Image Image

It still produces a seam but note that the land masses do join up; the other parts are much easier to fix convincingly.

Of course it helps that I used a seamless cloud layer but if it were fed seamless textures to start with then all should be well.

I'm not exactly short of textures of course :wink: but this might make it a lot easier for people to have a go at making one for themselves.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Nice ones, and I need many more textures due to I decided to use individual ones for all planets in [wiki]FarPlanets[/wiki] (like in [EliteWiki] Povray Planets). Now I have 500 but my target is 4000 to fill up the 8 galaxies.

I have not Photoshop but I already done seam fixes in Gimp so we can work together to produce nice planets. :)
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

New texture pack added : Demux Volcanic

Getting away from the cloud layers and focusing more on the 'effects' with this one.

Links and pictures in the first post as usual.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Those are looking really good!

I'm liking the 'mini-pack' idea, too.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Using it now - and .....

ooooo, very pretty !!!
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I just noticed that since 0.5.6., my "Additional Planets" seem to be gone.

Hadn't visited one yet, but with 0.5.5. they showed up via another oxp that shows the in-system planets via the F4 screen in stations (forgot the name). They were recognizable due to the crazy distances they had to everything else.

Alas, in 0.5.6., no such luck. I am using trunk 1.79.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Those new textures look really nice. I wish there was full-featured lanes for each extra planets so I could go to the planet that looks better :D .

I started out with a couple of packs installed only and I noticed that the game defaulted often to the standard textures. Could it be possible to default to a random texture that's in the pack instead?