Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Heffinghams Palsy

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Heffinghams Palsy

Post by Duggan »

Is Oolite 1.79 released already ?

I was not sure because many are releasing 1.79 oxz / oxps , Are we to write off 1.77 then. and just play trunk nightlies.

As much as I am looking forward to a stable 1.79 release, there remains a wonderfully brilliant stable release. It's mostly always the same though.Once a trunk comes out for testing , the stable release goes into the background and the new and innovative expansions get released for trunk.

I think this is a bit lamentable as in some way the stable build gets de prioritized, even though I appreciate the need for testers and developers in trunk for future releases, I feel the current stable release should not be overlooked or relegated before it's time....

Or is that just me :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Heffinghams Palsy

Post by Pleb »

The main reason I'm using 1.79 is because of the new JavaScript AI and the fact you can do a lot more with it. However I'm sure there's a lot of people still using 1.77.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I expect most players (the silent majority) use 1.77.1 (the watermark in the trunk nightlies can be immersion-breaking, btw).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

I use 1.77.1 and, like Duggan, often get the sneaking suspicion that the stable release gets a little forgotten at times.
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Cody wrote:
I expect most players (the silent majority) use 1.77.1 (the watermark in the trunk nightlies can be immersion-breaking, btw).
I have it turned off much better that way!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I certainly don't think that 1.77 has been 'forgotten'.
There are probably more OXPs avialable for it than any previous version of Oolite, and I'm sure there are probably a few more in development - my current project is 1.77-friendly although I am also involved in the HIMSN project which is being designed for 1.79.
I think that the reason there is currently a lot of discussion about 1.79 right now is because it is still in development, so as well as general updates on progress, those starting to write OXPs for 1.79 are posting here to resolve issues etc. And of course some complex OXPs can take a long time to develop - months or even years in some cases - so designing them for a future version makes sense as that version would be current when the OXP is released anyway and it makes sense to release an OXP that can use new features in the latest version.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wot Smivs said...

In addition to which, the other thing to bear in mind is that, compared with the last few releases, 1.79 is a huge leap forward in features and capabilities, and a side-effect of that is that the extensive changes break quite a few current OXPs. It is not going to go over well if a lot of people's favourite OXPs suddenly stop working when they upgrade to 1.79 upon release. Thus, as trunk matures, (which it is now starting to do, and very nicely, at that) OXP authors need to get their already existing OXPs ready. That, in turn, is kind of a two-part process. Before updating their OXPs, the authors need to become familiar with 1.79 itself, the new and/or changed functions, and the radically different AI, which they are starting to do by playing around with the new possibilities that 1.79 presents. Thus many of the authors are in a sense laying the groundwork, in preparation for the big update-fest that they will soon have to embark on.

Naturally, this means that to some extent, OXP development for 1.77.1 will slow for a while.. but it certainly won't stop.. in fact, we've had quite a few newcomers of late, who've begun (or even already released) some quite exciting new ideas in the way of OXPs.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It's a tricky thing to balance: we want the nightly versions to be stable enough for at least some test pilots and OXP authors to be using them and trying out the new code features so that both minor bugs and major conceptual errors are found before release - but we also don't want it to be so stable that people are pointed towards builds which may on any given day still be seriously broken (or worse, contain subtle bugs) when that's not what they want - especially since we only guarantee savegame compatibility one way: once you've gone to 1.79 we don't guarantee you'll be able to get that commander back to 1.77.1 if you realise it was a mistake.

We're now also in the second part of the release cycle: all of the planned major features are in, and now it's a matter of fixing the bugs, tidying up loose ends, balancing the difficulty, and testing everything still works. It's still going to be a while before the actual release - I have a page full of one-line descriptions of the bugs and loose ends which need sorting, and that's just the ones I know of already - but it does make it safer (though not safe) to try 1.79.
Diziet Sma wrote:
and a side-effect of that is that the extensive changes break quite a few current OXPs.
The only ones that I know of here are:
- the old Energy Bomb OXP: there is now a new version compatible with both 1.77 and 1.79
- arguably replacement shipset OXPs: there is a compatibility OXP available.

There are a lot of changes which mean that best practice for OXP development is different and people should update their OXPs to take advantage of that - but everything should continue to work approximately as it did before: it's not as if on release day there'll need to be hundreds of OXP updates released too. If you know of other OXPs that break, that may well be a bug in trunk, since they're not supposed to: which were you thinking of?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well.. "break" may be too strong a term.. but throwing errors and/or causing weird behaviour..

Off the top of my head, there have been about half a dozen I've encountered.. some of which I've mentioned.. I'll have to dig them up for you.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Off the top of my head, there have been about half a dozen I've encountered.. some of which I've mentioned.. I'll have to dig them up for you.
Weird behaviour - depending on exactly how weird - might be unavoidable. But please, let me know. It's possible some of them just use older features in a way that I either didn't expect or had forgotten about.