Taxes?!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Taxes?!

Post by Maj. Matt Mason »

"For capturing Lorese Carrefire, ...youre paid a bounty of 63.0 cr. The insurance fee of 250cr goes to Govt. taxes :shock: ."

Just wondering, it's a little hard-hearted, but if I'm 100% sure that the escape pod contains a fugative, should I just blast it for the bounty?
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Taxes?!

Post by onno256 »

For shame! You should be doing your civic duty!
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

1: to discourage people shooting escape pods on the off-chance, and because it's not possible to tell the occupants of an escape pod from the outside, there is never a kill bounty on them.
2: 63 credits for 1 TC is still pretty valuable as cargo goes, so long as you didn't dump any other cargo to make room. The capture bounties - especially in the richer better-ordered systems - can be even higher than that.
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

:oops: Um, well, yes... I have to admit that this was a pretty orderly system (hence the taxes seem well spent). I'll bring them in alive, and support the community. Thanks.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

You already got the bounty when you destroyed the ship.. :wink: as cim points out, there is no kill bounty on an escape pod..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Government taxes? Yeah, right! Thieving sods, those station police - and they have the nerve to send me for attitude adjustment!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cim wrote:
1: to discourage people shooting escape pods on the off-chance, and because it's not possible to tell the occupants of an escape pod from the outside, there is never a kill bounty on them.
Is it illegal to shoot escape pods? I assume that, if it is, the police would need to see you do it, but even so ...
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Diziet Sma wrote:
You already got the bounty when you destroyed the ship.. :wink: as cim points out, there is no kill bounty on an escape pod..
Ummmmm not totally accurate... in my line of professional duties, you don't get paid unless you destroy the vessel with the target unable to escape, destroy the escape capsule that he is in, or if captured, destroy the miscreant in your own vessel once you have safely docked. you will get credit if the target destroys himself trying to get you with a q bomb. They are the nastiest as you get sucked in and if you don't notice the bomb going off... you go bye bye with him. good thing to live by: keep your spear sharp, long and keep your distance if you can. Also, walking in the Monster slayers mocassins will protect you from the evil flyers.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Diziet Sma wrote:
You already got the bounty when you destroyed the ship...
It was a Police Viper that destroyed the ship. I just scavenged the wreckage and found the pod. I'm actually kind of glad to learn that there is not often any percentage in attacking escape pods - since I too may have to rely on one some day.
Ya-Ta-Hey wrote:
in my line of professional duties, you don't get paid unless you destroy the vessel with the target unable to escape,
Would that line of work be "freelance" bounty hunting (as advertised on the bulliten boards of certain space bars)?
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

sort of, kinda of, but don't tell nobody, I got enough grieving relatives out looking to vaporize me. :lol:

Used to have a sky brother: El Viejo who was an honorable contrabandista but he has morphed into Cody who runs a courier service. Old age does creep up on those who don't stay sharp. He introduced me to the only escape capsule that I will not destroy: green geckos. They are smart, tough but I am tougher and smarter... after I catch them... we share some good evil juice and then saddle up for more encounters. AHHHH, the good old days.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chuckles> This old contrabandista does keep his hand in - but life is far more perilous as an interstellar courier.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
<chuckles> This old contrabandista does keep his hand in - but life is far more perilous as an interstellar courier.
Ahh.. so it's the adrenaline rush you're really chasing, eh? :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Maj. Matt Mason wrote:
"For capturing Lorese Carrefire, ...youre paid a bounty of 63.0 cr. The insurance fee of 250cr goes to Govt. taxes :shock: ."
These kind of messages you get for pilots that are insured AND have a bounty on their head. In rare cases you can have a clean, insured trader that catches a bounty when fighting with police around.
However, in most cases they origine from oxp added ships because they get random pilots in the cabin.