Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Progress

Post by Cody »

The new sun-stare glare has a nice effect up close - I like it:

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

In tonight's build...

Tired of being jumped by pirates because your scanner was zoomed in and you didn't see them? Want to zoom in on a close adversary in a dogfight without losing track of more distant ships? Then you need the new nonlinear scanner!

Based on captured Thargon technology, and extensively re-engineered by Faulcon de Lacy skunkworks division so you don't need compound eyes to use it, the nonlinear scanner is the answer to every pilot's scanning problems.

Here's how it works. In the below screenshot I've just zapped an asteroid, and want to zoom in on the splinters to scoop them up.

Normally, I'd lose track of the ship lurking in the corner of my scanner. Not with the nonlinear scanner:

The ship is pushed towards the edge of the scanner, but is still visible on it.

I've also added an option to change the zoom levels from a boring 1-5:1 to a choice of 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, 8:1 or a massive 16:1.

These options are disabled by default, and I don't actually know how to enable them as another_commander has changed that bit since I wrote this. :( He should be along later to explain how. Something to do with scripting.

I'd like to point out I wrote this before I saw the one in Elite: Dangerous. I think that Braben guy should use his own ideas instead of nicking everyone else's :lol:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Regarding enabling the non-linear scanner: We now have two new Javascript player ship properties, which are boolean and read/write: player.ship.scannerNonLinear and player.ship.scannerUltraZoom. The first sets or unsets the linearity of the scanner, while the other chooses between standard 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 and enhanced 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 16:1 zoom sets. Use in the standard way in scripts:

Code: Select all

player.ship.scannerNonLinear = true/false;
player.ship.scannerUltraZoom = true/false;
In addition to this, the scanner non-linearity and zoomability can take default values from the hud.plist settings scanner_non_linear and scanner_ultra_zoom. In the standard game we have them both set as false to have an initial unchanged scanner behaviour, but you can adjust this as you see fit. Any combination of the two settings is possible, although I personally quite like the result when both are set to true.
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

I like the effect of torus driving through an asteroid field with this on. The asteroids look as though they're taking evasive action around your ship, which is quite cool. But then I'm easily pleased!
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

another_commander wrote:
Regarding enabling the non-linear scanner: We now have two new Javascript player ship properties, which are boolean and read/write: player.ship.scannerNonLinear and player.ship.scannerUltraZoom. The first sets or unsets the linearity of the scanner, while the other chooses between standard 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 and enhanced 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 16:1 zoom sets. Use in the standard way in scripts:

player.ship.scannerNonLinear = true/false;
player.ship.scannerUltraZoom = true/false;
Where can I insert these lines? I'd like not to alter a script in AddOns, as I've moved oolite-trunk.app in my standard Oolite folder in order to benefit from the already-installed OXPs.

Also, I don't see the sun glare effect (oolite-trunk-1.79.0.cdb9004-dev.x64).
Cody

Post by Cody »

The sun-glare is fine here. <dons sunglasses>
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Astrobe wrote:
Where can I insert these lines? I'd like not to alter a script in AddOns, as I've moved oolite-trunk.app in my standard Oolite folder in order to benefit from the already-installed OXPs.
If you just want to activate the feature, the easiest way would probably be to use hud.plist. Inside your AddOns, make a folder named Config and paste your active HUD's plist there. Then add

scanner_non_linear = yes;
scanner_ultra_zoom = yes;
at the bottom of the plist, then restart the game and you should be able to have the new scanner functionality.
Please try without any OXPs and, if it still doesn't work, post a topic in Testing and Bug Reports with the following information:
- Latest.log from start till the point of listing OpenGL supported extensions.
- Location in the game (galaxy and planet).
- Screenshot showing the sun directly (or almost directly) ahead of you.

The sun glare decreases with distance (slowly, but steadily). If you use OXPs that put the suns really far away, it is possible that you may not be able to see the glare. The effect is also set to become almost insignificant the deeper you go into the atmosphere. So make sure that you are close enough to the sun and not close enough to the planet to be sure to witness the effect when turning to face the sun. Also note that external views don't show glare at this time, you have to be in one of the internal views to see it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
If you use OXPs that put the suns really far away, it is possible that you may not be able to see the glare.
I'm using a tweaked version of Kaks' old Far Sun OXP, and the glare is detectable from within the aegis.
Last edited by Cody on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
I'm using a tweaked version of Kak's old Far Sun OXP
<ears prick up>
Tweaked? Please add it to this thread.. :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Astrobe wrote:
I'd like not to alter a script in AddOns, as I've moved oolite-trunk.app in my standard Oolite folder in order to benefit from the already-installed OXPs.
This would be a better solution for that..

Using SymLinks under Windows
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Updated Oolite and I'm loving it. The new planets look spiffy and so does the sun glare!

EDIT: Let's not forget the manage expansions thingy!
Cody

Post by Cody »

The non-linear, ultra-zoom, scanner thingy is cool - I like!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Cody wrote:
The non-linear, ultra-zoom, scanner thingy
That's very technical of you, Cody! :P :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
That's very technical of you, Cody!
Thank you kindly, sir! A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I had a fully-functional, technical-type brain. Alas, 'tis no more!
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

another_commander wrote:
Please try without any OXPs and, if it still doesn't work, post a topic in Testing and Bug Reports with the following information:
- Latest.log from start till the point of listing OpenGL supported extensions.
- Location in the game (galaxy and planet).
- Screenshot showing the sun directly (or almost directly) ahead of you.

The sun glare decreases with distance (slowly, but steadily). If you use OXPs that put the suns really far away, it is possible that you may not be able to see the glare. The effect is also set to become almost insignificant the deeper you go into the atmosphere. So make sure that you are close enough to the sun and not close enough to the planet to be sure to witness the effect when turning to face the sun. Also note that external views don't show glare at this time, you have to be in one of the internal views to see it.
Oh, I missed the Test and Bug Reports board. Sorry about that.

I retried with a fresh and clean trunk today. I can indeed see the sun glare. Next I tried with distant suns OXP, which I thought was the most likely culprit, but it still works with it.