Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Gimi »

That's an idea Smivs. Think I would like it in white as a reference to imperial white.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Gimi wrote:
That's an idea Smivs. Think I would like it in white as a reference to imperial white.
Looks good!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Nice!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Pleb wrote:
:lol: Haha, that's priceless that picture!

What about your carrier that you made, does that have a dock on it? Looks like there's one on the side?
I have been trying to catch up a little as I missed some posts when the thread took off again.

@Cody, I'm counting on you correcting me if my memory lets me down.
The model storm made and Smivs textured was meant as a "Special Ops carrier", where the player could dock and "borrow" a Navy Constrictor for a mission and then return and pick up his regular ship. The smaller docking bays are meant as Constrictor bays. The larger one is of course for all ships. This is probably a one off ship, maybe two.
At some point I would like to include a ship yard in HIMSN. The first indication the player would get that this class of ship exists would be a half finished hull in "dry dock" at that ship yard.

@Keeper, Smivs & Storm (if you are around)
So this is something I hope could be implemented in phase two of development (sans mission which would be stage three and under the direction of Cody :mrgreen: )
Last edited by Gimi on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Is that old gold you're using, Gimi? A thought: if you're gonna use a planet/sun/starburst, it may look better against black.

Sorry - I can't remember any details about the carrier, I'm a destroyer-type person.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cody wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Is that old gold you're using, Gimi? A thought: if you're gonna use a planet/sun/starburst, it may look better against black.
Nope, it's just an orangy yellow that comes up as standard in PowerPoint :oops:.
But Old Gold will be my choice for the final version. Thank you for the tip.
I'll make a black background version as well.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

cim wrote:
Regarding the logo, the Constrictor in many of the shipsets (including those shipped with Oolite) has an Ω symbol on it. What that might represent and why it's on the paintwork... something that may or may not be answered in this OXP, I suppose.
The Omega sign would be the sign for the HIMSN Intelligence Service me thinks.
Opinions?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
There's also the random chance of encountering rogue planets as well (I added a few entries into the planetinfo.plist file so they would spawn in different positions).
This idea intrigues me - which planet textures are you thinking of using? What type of planet - rocky or gas-giant?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Gimi wrote:
At some point I would like to include a ship yard in HIMSN. The first indication the player would get that this class of ship exists would be a half finished hull in "dry dock" at that ship yard.
I was thinking last night about how the player would have 'first contact' with HIMSN (well strictly third contact) when they install this OXP. My ideas were not so much shipyard but battle aftermath . This could be at the witchpoint beacon of any given system, or after a scripted misjump in IS space, whichever is deemed more appropriate. The player would jump and unexpectedly emerge in the middle of a debris field with perhaps half an Asp (or similar) directly ahead and close enough to require the player to take mild evasive action to avoid it. The scanner would be filled wih 'white flags' and as the player looks around it becomes clear that this is ship debris. There would be at least one badly damaged Capital ship (the carrier?) present, a Hospital Ship and a SAR ship nearby which hails the player.
"You're a little late Commander...the battle is over and we got our Asses whipped! Make for the Main Station, and please look out for Escape Capsules!"
At the main station, a more detailed mission screen could then start the player's involvement with the Navy.
I thought this would make quite a dramatic and high-impact intro to the OXP, but obviously would require a lot of work.
Not least that we would need models for the damaged Asp and Carrier, plus other large recogniseable chunks of debris, and a SAR ship. It depends how much effort we want to put in, but of course some of the models could be re-used - the carrier wreck re-textured could easily pass as a ship under construction in a yard for example.
Funnily enough it was working on the Cruiser which indirectly got me thinking this. In white it is quite imposing, but doesn't look remotely threatening, and I thought it would make a great Medical Ship! Also, there is some doubt that it really is suitable as a cruiser due to its size, but a Liner converted into a hospital ship makes a lot of sense. Yes, OK that would mean we also need a new cruiser as well, but...
Gimi wrote:
@Keeper, Smivs & Storm (if you are around)
So this is something I hope could be implemented in phase two of development (sans mission which would be stage three and under the direction of Cody :mrgreen: )
:)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
... sans mission which would be stage three and under the direction of Cody
<grins> Cheers, amigo! That could be a poison chalice!

I had some ideas for 'first contact' too - but that's for later.
Smivs wrote:
In white it is quite imposing, but doesn't look remotely threatening, and I thought it would make a great Medical Ship! Also, there is some doubt that it really is suitable as a cruiser due to its size, but a Liner converted into a hospital ship makes a lot of sense. Yes, OK that would mean we also need a new cruiser as well, but...
<nods>
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Cody wrote:
This idea intrigues me - which planet textures are you thinking of using? What type of planet - rocky or gas-giant?
For the moment they're just using the built in generated planets - they tend to look greyish white and green! But I'd like to use some rocky/gaseous planet textures if possible - was waiting to see if anyone thought they were a good idea or not first! :mrgreen:

EDIT: It should be noted this was a feature I used from Galactic Misjump OXP, only I added more entries so that they spawn in different location.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
I was thinking last night about how the player would have 'first contact' with HIMSN (well strictly third contact) when they install this OXP. My ideas were not so much shipyard but battle aftermath . This could be at the witchpoint beacon of any given system, or after a scripted misjump in IS space, whichever is deemed more appropriate. The player would jump and unexpectedly emerge in the middle of a debris field with perhaps half an Asp (or similar) directly ahead and close enough to require the player to take mild evasive action to avoid it. The scanner would be filled wih 'white flags' and as the player looks around it becomes clear that this is ship debris. There would be at least one badly damaged Capital ship (the carrier?) present, a Hospital Ship and a SAR ship nearby which hails the player. "You're a little late Commander...the battle is over and we got our Asses whipped! Make for the Main Station, and please look out for Escape Capsules!" At the main station, a more detailed mission screen could then start the player's involvement with the Navy.
Certainly a dramatic intro, Smivs - sounds like a plan that can be developed. I'll reserve my idea for a subsequent contact.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
I've integrated the Galactic Misjump OXP into the HIMSN OXZ
I got a bunch of these after venturing into IG space:

Code: Select all

17:26:24.855 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Oolite Trader AI 1.79): TypeError: this.__ltcache.oolite_nearestStation is null
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Pleb wrote:
I've integrated the Galactic Misjump OXP into the HIMSN OXZ

17:26:24.855 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Oolite Trader AI 1.79): TypeError: this.__ltcache.oolite_nearestStation is null
I'll fix the bug, but you probably want to be making sure that you override the interstellar space populator - and especially repopulator - functions when setting up intergalactic space or things might get a little strange.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Cody wrote:

What OXPs are you running? I don't recognise the this.__ltcache.oolite_nearestStation function...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4