Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

About planets

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: About planets

Post by Eric Walch »

submersible wrote:
I've put the source parts of that oxp in the branch feel free to copy over top and commit.
I now committed changes to 4 files that gave errors on my card. The nice thing of having it now in source is that you easy can see my changes.

Most errors were implicit use of an integer were you needed a float. The other errors are not that clear to me and you might want to use an other change.
Most of the other errors were about storage directives like "attribute", "varying" etc. I now left them out completely. The code runs, but is probably not optimised now.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Eric Walch wrote:
submersible wrote:
I've put the source parts of that oxp in the branch feel free to copy over top and commit.
I now committed changes to 4 files that gave errors on my card. The nice thing of having it now in source is that you easy can see my changes.

Most errors were implicit use of an integer were you needed a float. The other errors are not that clear to me and you might want to use an other change.
Most of the other errors were about storage directives like "attribute", "varying" etc. I now left them out completely. The code runs, but is probably not optimised now.
Thank you. Can I ask that we co-ordinate the merging on that branch though please. I prefer to wholesale merge trunk up to the branch every so often and deal with the carnage , rather than cherry pick fixes from trunk.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:
After these changes to the atmos shader, the atmosphere no longer lays a black layer over the planet, but a nice rim arond the planet at the sunny side. :lol:
Thank you, Eric. This is what it looks like here.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I put the atmos.fragment and atmos.vertex from the shady-planets-test.oxp into rendermonkey and fixed a few things to make the openGl warnings go away
(the stuff about finding an 'int' when it wanted a 'float', and another warning about the vec4 to vec3 that was happening to vColor in the vertex shader. updated files are here
https://www.box.com/s/350fe9ece9b847cfaeb2

I've had a bash at a toxic dump planet, the oxp modifies Orerve
https://www.box.com/s/1d2929425eab3716fc84
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Here's a variation on the toxic planet shader, this one modifies Quator in Galaxy 1 into an inferno planet.
I can't get the scrolling lava river textures working on the cubemap version at the moment, so here's the Lat/Long 2d texture version. If i can get the cubemap version working i'll replace this upload with it, or maybe just do away with the scrolling and have some sort of bubbly goo thing going on instead

https://www.box.com/s/f9a7b58a50940ee17393

I wonder if we could make an entire planet into a disco mirror ball with the 'fake enviroment map' shader :lol:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Griff - These look fantastic.

I really like the inferno planet.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

More experiments from shady-planets branch , this time - atmosphere has additive alpha blending.

http://assets.povray-planets.org/static ... te-180.png
http://assets.povray-planets.org/static ... te-181.png
Last edited by submersible on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow.. those look fantastic! You've even got the yellowish atmosphere with the thin blue upper layer looking right! Colour me impressed!

8)

Edit: now.. I wonder if you can get the atmospheric luminescence on the night-side also looking correct.. See the video in this thread. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Just noting this while I think of it. Some of the things I have been trying with shady planet atmosphere have been stymied by (I think) the need to have inverse matrix transforms in order to do ray marching from eye through the vertex/fragment , then sample from positions along this ray back to the light position. Could it be possible to compute these with a JS frame callback and update a shader uniform ?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Quick update. I'm looking at an atmosphere shader at present. The last note I made to myself about this was "stop using pythagoras and do something clever with angles". Computes the maximum angle which the eye may pass through the atmos and still hit the planet rather than pass through to the other side. The shader switches how it draws based on which side of this angle the eye is intersecting with the surface.

Since there is no volume sampling , this falls down totally on the dark side of the planet.

Last edited by submersible on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

And this is an encouraging one. Light ray distance through atmos to sample point on camera ray. 4 Samples.
Last edited by submersible on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wow, that's looking really awesome, fantastic work submersible!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

This is brilliant!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

So, any chance of this making its way into trunk in the foreseeable future then?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Lestradae wrote:
So, any chance of this making its way into trunk in the foreseeable future then?
Not yet - and I've been tinkering for a while. I think the approach is right - but the coordinate space it's being applied in is wrong. The geometry is doing my head in.