Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Ore Processor 2.2.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Ore Processor 2.2.1

Post by spara »

Hello.

My quest of enhancing old and established oxps continues. Here is an update to the Ore Processor oxp by Dr. Nil and Eric Walch. The original oxp uses it's own textured splinter models and they might look a bit out of place when using some higher detail rock models. This oxp remedies that and modifies the behaviour of the equipment to be more flexible and involving.

Eric has been very helpful in the process by giving constructive feedback about the first version.

Download from the wiki
Last edited by spara on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Wip] Ore Processor 2.0 dev2

Post by JazHaz »

spara wrote:
Scoop a splinter or splinters and start processing it or them by priming the equipment with shift-n and pressing n.
Hmmm. How does this work? Do you wait until after you have scooped the splinter before activating?

I kind of prefer the old way, where it would activate automatically.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JazHaz wrote:
spara wrote:
Scoop a splinter or splinters and start processing it or them by priming the equipment with shift-n and pressing n.
Hmmm. How does this work? Do you wait until after you have scooped the splinter before activating?
At the moment, yes. First you scoop, then you process. I wanted to have more control over the process, so I made it manual.
JazHaz wrote:
I kind of prefer the old way, where it would activate automatically.
I personally find the manual operation more involving, but it's good to hear other opinions. It's quite trivial to bring the old behavior back. I'll put in a variable to toggle the automatic processing on or off. With the automatic processing on, it can still be aborted by the player.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I haven't actually tried the new method, the above was just my first impression.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

The problem with the old ore processor was that it added custom splinters to the system with pre-defined content to be processed. (the texture revealed what you could get out of it) That way of handling is no problem in plain Oolite, but when adding oxp's that add splinters of their own, this becomes a problem as the new splinters can't be processed.

This oxp now assigns random content to every splinter, no matter from which oxp. Although I liked the pre-defined splinters, this will work better when using custom asteroids that break in custom splinters. (But they still need to use the default "splinter" role.)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Wip] Ore Processor 2.0 dev3

Post by spara »

Thanks Eric for clarification, I was a bit vague about my biggest motivation. Indeed I started working on this one because I felt the splinters were a bit out of place in my (currently) Griffified game.

Here's a new version (dev3). I have cleaned code and simplified stuff and actually removed all user settable variables. Not sure they are really needed.

Changes:

* Now that the equipment is manual, the energy level limits are removed. The processor will stop processing, when energy level is about to hit 0. Keep an eye about the operation and abort if needed. Same goes with the scanning functionality, abort if needed.
* Processing of a partly processed splinter can be resumed. Even if jettisoned and scooped again.
* Because of the previous changes even an Adder can be used for mining with processor.
* Toughness of the splinters is varied. Some take more time to process than others.

Oxp feels quite feature complete and solid. I'll keep it as wip for a week and if nothing drastic turns up, I'll release it.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Ore Processor 2.0

Post by spara »

Haven't stumbled into any bugs so it's a release. I have added the new version of the oxp to the wiki with a detailed description of changes. Original wiki text and older versions of the oxp are left untouched.
toko
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by toko »

I have the following feature request with Ore Processor 2: If you use the Griff ship set as an addition to the normal ships, the Griff splinters are not picked up by the ore processor. I suppose that is because their variable roles="griff_splinter" rather than "splinter". Could you consider adding them to the splinters that are processed? since I don't want to replace the normal ships with Griff's ships completely.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Sure thing toko.

Since you already have a functioning Griff addition setup, could you please test this and report back if it does the job.

In the file Sripts/OreProcessor.js change the line 159 from

Code: Select all

if (whom.primaryRole !== "splinter" || whom.commodity !== "minerals" ||  whom.script.name !== "oolite-default-ship-script") return;
to

if ((whom.primaryRole !== "splinter" && whom.primaryRole !== "griff_splinter") || whom.commodity !== "minerals" ||  whom.script.name !== "oolite-default-ship-script") return;
If you're on Windows, don't use Notepad to edit the file and after you have edited the file, start the game holding shift-key down until you see the spinning Cobra. If you confirm it works, I'll make an update. If it doesn't, then I'll have to scratch my head a little more :) .
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

I'll be testing this as well :D
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

While I do like this, and I accept that it is a matter of personal taste. I like the ore processor to just get on with it. I tend to Prime all my equipment on departing the Station (saves mucking about later in haste) So is there a way to have all splinters griffified and not have to prime the ore processor each splinter scooping session ?
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Been playing for a few hours with the new line in place.

Griff-Splinters appear as minerals alright, but ore-processor still doesn't seem recognize them. Getting no message at all when triggered as opposed to the normal 'No Splinters' warning.
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Duggan wrote:
While I do like this, and I accept that it is a matter of personal taste. I like the ore processor to just get on with it. I tend to Prime all my equipment on departing the Station (saves mucking about later in haste) So is there a way to have all splinters griffified and not have to prime the ore processor each splinter scooping session ?
I'll try to put in a switchable semi-auto mode that will start processing when you scoop minerals. Not a biggie really, just have to figure out some natural way of activating/de-activating it. Maybe the equipment could be turned on/off at will regardless of there being splinters or not. So you could turn it on when ever you want and it will turn it self off when you dock, you run out of energy or you turn it off your self. Hmmm. Have to test it a bit, so that it feels natural.
Diogenese Senna wrote:
Been playing for a few hours with the new line in place.

Griff-Splinters appear as minerals alright, but ore-processor still doesn't seem recognize them. Getting no message at all when triggered as opposed to the normal 'No Splinters' warning.
Thanks for testing. Looks like I have to dig into it a bit deeper.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Ore Processor 2.1

Post by spara »

New version (2.1) is up.

* Now sort of works with Griff's additional shipset. There is a feature/bug in that oxp (v1.22) that makes rock chunks to be splinters. Result is that the player sometimes sees something that is labelled being splinter, but is not recognized by the ore processor. That will hopefully sort it self out, if/when Griff's additional shipset gets updated. Thanks to toko for reporting.
* Ore Processor can now be hard wired to automatically start processing when a splinter has been scooped. This is dangerous though as you can easily dry out your energy banks by accident. Because of this GalCop does not approve hardwiring and for that reason it can be bought only from rock hermits. Nevertheless this hard wiring is widely being used by professional miners. Thanks to Duggan for the idea.

Happy mining.
toko
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: [Release] Ore Processor 2.1

Post by toko »

Hi spara,
thanks for the new release, I was just going to report back that for me the following two replacements got the thing working on griff_splinters:
instead of

if (whom.primaryRole !== "splinter" || whom.commodity !== "minerals" ||  whom.script.name !== "oolite-default-ship-script") return;
I used

if ( (whom.primaryRole !== "splinter" && whom.primaryRole !== "griff_splinter") ||  whom.commodity !== "minerals" ||  whom.script.name !== "oolite-default-ship-script") return;
and a bit further down instead of:

if (target.primaryRole !== "splinter") {
I used

if ((target.primaryRole !== "splinter" && target.primaryRole !== "griff_splinter")) {
However, I will download the new version :)

Thanks!