Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Status Quo, Chapter Three.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Status Quo, Chapter Three.

Post by drew »

Edit : Individual chapters no longer available, but you can download the complete version here

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Nice work - one thing I would point out though is that the quirium 'event' was technically an implosion, not an explosion, since the destructive forces were contained within the originating receptacle.

Also, 'a Tori station' should be 'a Torus station' - Torus is the singular of Tori (or Torii).

Also, clones are outlawed in GalCop - a high-ranking GCW official would have one shot on sight rather than employ it. Read The Dark Wheel for confirmation of this.

Other than that, the story is fantastic!!! Nice one - looking forward to the next installment.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Changes made. Are genetically engineered peopel ok in Galcop?
Nice work - one thing I would point out though is that the quirium 'event' was technically an implosion, not an explosion, since the destructive forces were contained within the originating receptacle.
I did think about this in both directions. I sort of viewed it as an explosion that moved outwards consuming everything in its path until it ran out of sustaining fuel, then it simply stopped dead, leaving nothing behind. Does that make sense?

Glad you enjoyed!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

Hi drew - great read, enjoying this series immensely.

It looks like you used find and replace to change "tori" with "torus" - leads you to monitorusng :-)

Hurry with the next !
Nuke 'em 'til they glow; then shoot 'em in the dark!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

drew wrote:
Changes made. Are genetically engineered peopel ok in Galcop?
I'm not sure - nothing's mentioned about them.

I know androids and robots are allowed.
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Oooh. The tension is mounting! This is getting really good now.

Nice inside jokes again. C64 isotope, eh? :lol:

Oh yeah... and the OXP joke!
Last edited by Commodore Sics D'fore on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

gen-mods are okay. Galcoop does not interfere with local-customs...much.

There is a bias for stock humans in coop organisation though and modified humans are treated almost the same as alien species; not openly dicriminated against, but generally they have a harder time getting accepted into the academy and they tend to fill the lower ranks.
Riding the Rocket!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Won't be long for Chapter 4, I had written most of it in advance as I needed to know what happened next for Chapter 3. Just got to be a little careful I don't write myself into a corner here.... :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Or have the station place a new station on the same spot via deathaction and script.
Also cheating reality, but who's looking? 8)

umm. wrong thread.

Yes fiction nice, need more!
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Jinx999
Above Average
Above Average

I like being picky.

Post by Jinx999 »

Thanks, but I feel like being a bit picky today.

1) If the Q-mine was the planet buster you described, there's NO WAY IN HELL it would EVER be sold to civilians or issued to anyone who wasn't completely trustworthy. I can just about justify the energy bomb in my mind by assuming that an atmosphere would block the effect. Otherwise, what would stop someone from detonating one in the middle of a city?

2) Useful Weapons don't get banned by treaty. You'd get the major governments refusing to allow anyone else to have them and not using them themselves because of Mutual Assured Destruction, but no nation would ever sign a treaty forbidding potentially war winning weapons.

3) GalCop security SUCKS.

4) Nobody sees themselves as the bad guy, so raving about the integrity of your enemy is unlikely. Terms such as "naive idealism" or "hopeless idealist" would be much more likely.

Apart from these few points, I liked it and am looking forward to part 4. Incidently, has anyone installed the Lave OXP and dropped a Q-bomb in the middle of it, just to see what would happen?

Jinx
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I'm feeling less picky :) This is good stuff, Drew. (I'm a subeditor/occasional writer by trade, so I can't help noticing the odd grammatical slip-up, but the story is good enough for me not to mind!)
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Or have the station place a new station on the same spot via deathaction and script.
Also cheating reality, but who's looking? 8)
This post must have been intended for the "single ship/station" thread in the Expansion Pack forum, yes?
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
Arexack_Heretic

ehrm...yes I guess so...as it does not relate to any of the posts here. must have replied in the wrong window. sry, will delete tonight.
Riding the Rocket!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

btw i thought the Feynman name

Post by ArkanoiD »

..was a Richard Feynman reference ;-) Looks like i was wrong.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I like being picky.

Post by drew »

Jinx999 wrote:
1) If the Q-mine was the planet buster you described, there's NO WAY IN HELL it would EVER be sold to civilians or issued to anyone who wasn't completely trustworthy. I can just about justify the energy bomb in my mind by assuming that an atmosphere would block the effect. Otherwise, what would stop someone from detonating one in the middle of a city?
A very good point... :wink: 8)
2) Useful Weapons don't get banned by treaty. You'd get the major governments refusing to allow anyone else to have them and not using them themselves because of Mutual Assured Destruction, but no nation would ever sign a treaty forbidding potentially war winning weapons.
Have you been reading my plot summary? :lol:
3) GalCop security SUCKS.
Yes, rather weak here I'll admit. I was trying to avoid a stereotypical 'shoot your way out' affair, but it doesn't work too well.
4) Nobody sees themselves as the bad guy, so raving about the integrity of your enemy is unlikely. Terms such as "naive idealism" or "hopeless idealist" would be much more likely.
Conversely I don't think, based on his career, that Jim Feynman would be described as naive or hopeless by these military chaps. I was trying to get across the impression that he would be regarded as 'missing the big picture' or some such.

Good feedback though.

Chapter 4 shortly.
Incidently, has anyone installed the Lave OXP and dropped a Q-bomb in the middle of it, just to see what would happen?
Yes. And near the Tionisla graveyard. Only for research purposes of course. :wink: Quite spectacular. :shock:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter