Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ford
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Ford »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hoopy greets, Ford!

Keep that towel handy.. 8)

(Did you see that the [EliteWiki] Heart of Gold is now available in Oolite? :D )
:) Nice - I'll also try out this infinite improbability drive that is mentioned in
this thread:

[Release:] D.T.T Heart of Gold 1.0

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16101

Have you tried the last entry in the Hitchhiker book series by Eoin Colfer? Not too bad imho, although the humour is def. post-80's (well - it's the Hitchhiker :D ), it's arguably even better than the last parts by D.A.
- it made me laugh out loud several times

Anyway - thanks for the Welcome!

Ford
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Welcome Ford, Stormrider and (belatedly) Zark Montor! :D

Hope you like it here :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ford wrote:
Have you tried the last entry in the Hitchhiker book series by Eoin Colfer? Not too bad imho, although the humour is def. post-80's (well - it's the Hitchhiker :D ), it's arguably even better than the last parts by D.A.
- it made me laugh out loud several times
No, I haven't.. I'll keep an eye out for it..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Welcome indeed to Ford, Stormrider and Zark Montor!

@Ford: I tried it - the Colfer book - and I am afraid that I didn't like it at all. But I'll content myself with saying that, yes, it really is very different to the five original Hitchhiker books. Actually, I can't help myself: you laughed out loud only several times? Well, given that: case closed?
Ford
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Ford »

UK_Eliter wrote:
@Ford: I tried it - the Colfer book - ... you laughed out loud only several times? Well, given that: case closed?
I realize most people hate it, but I'm not sure they hate it... for the right reasons if you know what I mean
Maybe it's just that I enjoy to say "Jehova" from time to time when I know I have the minority opinion :twisted:

But Mr. Cthulhu's job interview has won me over in any case :D

But now for something completely different: My ship-oxps (not just the skins) don't seem to mix all to good (seem to overwrite each other). But I'll best post that somewhere else... See you 'round :)

Ford
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Post by Maj. Matt Mason »

Hi all,

An ultra newbie here - I've never played (or even heard of) Elite before. Came across mention of oolite on another forum - and that it ran under Linux - so I had to give it a try. What a totally captivating game it is!

I'm now on my 4th career/life (soon to be 5th, as I've just defaulted on my loan from the Black Monks).

I'm really impressed with just how stable this game is, and what an interesting place the ooniverse can be with the right mods. I'll let you know if I survive the wrath of the Black Monks. :mrgreen:
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Welcome Maj. Mason.
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Matt, and welcome to "the friendliest board this side of Riedquat™"! 8)

'Tis always nice to meet another penguinista here.. :lol:

Just one thing, please be sure you're running the recommended current version, 1.77.1, and not the 1.75.3 or 1.76.1 that most Linux distros supply in their repositories.. it's just as stable, running-wise, but has a lot of bugfixes and features added.
Maj. Matt Mason wrote:
I'm now on my 4th career/life (soon to be 5th, as I've just defaulted on my loan from the Black Monks).
Wow.. are you playing "iron man" style, and starting over whenever you get killed? :shock:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Thanks for the warm welcome Diogenese & Diziet
Diziet Sma wrote:
Wow.. are you playing "iron man" style, and starting over whenever you get killed? :shock:
HaHa, Not *every* time :wink: ... Just settling in and learning the ropes, and trying some of the mods.

On my first go, I was too impatient to bother configuring my game-pad, and so was dead on my second encounter with hostiles (I actually managed to survive the first, but then couldn't make it to a station in time to save). On my last one, I ran afowl of the Black Monks. I can restart all I want, they'll just hunt me down again and kill me.

No, 5th time's the charm. I'm just going to be an honest trader (well maybe a little contraband on the side) and see how it goes.

BTW, I am running 1.77.1 Downloaded it from the oolite site directly and it installed and ran without any trouble.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

A hearty welcome to you Matt from the state of "High" Washington. Yah-ta-hey here, bounty hunter and smuggler par excellence. If you find yourself getting killed too often, feel free to ask questions... everyone of us has been where you are now. Each has their own opinions on how to get to a station in one piece. Your ship is probably either a Cobra MKIII, adder or Cobra MKI, all good craft in their own ways but until you get decent firepower, injectors, large capacity bays, ECM you are a very little fish in a very large pond filled with hungry Pike. For the first phase of your career... trading is one way ... find good trading planets that sell computers and furs cheap and those that will buy them on the high side.

Yah-ta-hey
(kirkland wa)
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Greetings Yah-Ta-Hey and thanks for the warm welcome. Ah Washington 8) , some day We'll catch up!

Advice much appreciated. Death is offered often, and comes swiftly in this game.

For the time being I'm running a trade route between Lave and Zaonce - both seem to produce what the other needs. I'll be sticking with my MkIII, it can outrun most threats, and missiles seem to take care of those it can't. ECMs will be my first upgrade, then Beam Lasers (rear first). After that, I'll be a litle more adventurous.
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Look at Tionisla, Isonor, and Ensoreus ...
Maj. Matt Mason
Average
Average

Thanks Diogenese, I'll give Isinor a try. I'm presently refueling at Zaonce with a load of dirt-cheap computers I bought from an orbiting salvage-gang.
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

I just had a major senior moment .....

I saw the number of posts I have made up until now, which is 80, I got all confused because I just knew I had far more kills than that (10984 if you must know).

Note to self : Don't mix up the game and the forums again ... :oops:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Welcome Maj. (Major?) Matt Mason and happy hunting :)

So, tell us, how did the loan 'repayments' go :wink:
Diogenese Senna wrote:
Note to self : Don't mix up the game and the forums again ... :oops:
:lol:

At least your kill count is higher than your number of postings, for me it's the other way around in my current incarnation :roll: