Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Constrictor Hunt bug...maybe

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Constrictor Hunt bug...maybe

Post by phkb »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something that was intended, but I thought I'd raise it anyway. This is supposed to be this friendliest board this side of Riedquat, so hopefully I won't get lasered into oblivion for posting something irrelevant...

Moving on...

(To avoid spoilers, I've changed the colour of the planet name so you have to highlight it to see it)

When then constrictor hunt starts, I track it to [Arexe] and I get this message
“Yep, an unusual new ship had a galactic hyperdrive fitted here, used it too.”
The trouble is, [Arexe] is TL 9, but galactic hyperdrives are only available at TL 11.

So, is it a bug, or just a plot device for the mission?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Constrictor Hunt bug...maybe

Post by Smivs »

The message is a bit mis-leading and perhaps should be re-worded. But you are right, it's more a plot device than anything, and in fact could occur at any planet due to the way the mission is triggered.
And welcome to the Board :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Well spotted, and welcome to the forums, phkb.

Now, this is an interesting one. The Constrictor is stolen from its shipyard, and the thieves can be tracked making two jumps before they jump out. The first is to a fairly low-tech world, but the second is to the TL 10 system (not sure why it looks TL 9 in your game - maybe an OXP changed it?) where they can buy a galactic drive.

Or where they would be able to buy one, were this Elite, where it was a TL 10 item. In Oolite, however, for historical reasons, the drive is a TL 11 item.

There's no particularly obvious alternative for the thieves, either. Xezaor is probably alerted to them and they can't afford to spare most of a day there getting the drive fitted to their very distinctive ship. Veale is the next closest but because of the topology of G2 would require a significant rewrite of their route through that chart. Inonri similarly. The rest are even further away.

Interesting...
Smivs wrote:
in fact could occur at any planet due to the way the mission is triggered.
The original mission notification can. The messages about the thieves' actions are specific to the system, though - the one where they jump out can only occur at this particular system.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I don't think an OXP has messed with the tech levels. I was looking in the "oolite-galaxies.xls" file (from the planet list), and the planet is listed in there as TL 9. However, further research reveals that the wiki on galaxy 1 has the planet listed as TL 10. Confusing.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote:
I was looking in the "oolite-galaxies.xls" file (from the planet list), and the planet is listed in there as TL 9. However, further research reveals that the wiki on galaxy 1 has the planet listed as TL 10. Confusing.
That spreadsheet counts TL from 0 to 14, whereas the planet list counts TL from 1 to 15 (I think that's right).

Oh... and welcome aboard.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Oh, right! Got it. I should have read more closely the details on the planet list page, that gives me that exact detail! D'oh! :oops:
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

cim wrote:
There's no particularly obvious alternative for the thieves
...unless, of course, the Constrictor already had a galactic hyperdrive fitted, but it was damaged in the escape. A TL 10 world can repair a galactic hyperdrive...
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I seem to vaguely recall in a past discussion that sometimes equipment is offered at a system that is "normally" 1 TL too low.

I think it was concerning the buying of Galactic Hyperdrives from one of the "unreachable" systems in Galaxy Charts 3, 6, or 7.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cim wrote:
..unless, of course, the Constrictor already had a galactic hyperdrive fitted, but it was damaged in the escape. A TL 10 world can repair a galactic hyperdrive...
That would be an easy fix:
“Yep, an unusual new ship had its galactic hyperdrive repaired here, used it too.”