Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Police response to criminal status

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Police response to criminal status

Post by Sendraks »

I was reflecting upon this the other night and was wondering if the game might benefit from more subtletly in how the two difference criminal statuses are handled.

1. Fugitive - Police and others treat you as K.O.S, you can't dock at main stations with permission and you get fined for docking without. Generally life is hard. I am fine with this.

2. Offender - basically you might get shot at by the police some of the time, which seems a little extreme for the most part. Could the game be coded in such a way that police, if they encounter you en-route to the station, can levy a fine which is deducted from your account when docking? And the fine keeps being levied until such time as your offender status has expired? Chances of being fined will of course depend on the varying police presence in each system and the steps the offender is prepared to take to avoid the police.

3. Could there be a greater range of subtelty to how the offender status is applied? Accidentally shooting a friendly in a firefight does happen (as does being shot by one) and it seems harsh that this would be viewed with the fairly weighty sanction of the police gunning you down.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Police response to criminal status

Post by Cody »

There are now warnings about friendly fire in trunk, and helping Vipers whilst an offender does not now lead to them instantly attacking you next (I think).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Police response to criminal status

Post by Sendraks »

Awesomes!