Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Blocked IP ...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Blocked IP ...

Post by sdrubble »

Hi there, dear admins...

I've been a user of this forum on and off for a few years... but recently, for as long as I can remember (one year, maybe more...), aegidian.org has been unreachable for me.

I've always suspected from some sort of IP blocking, and all my weak attempts at investigating that ended up nowhere (I HATE playing with proxies and always gave up after a few minutes). :evil:

Well, it seems I've been successful just today, by testing some Firefox extension which I'm not entirely sure of how it works. But anyway, I'm writing this right now thru IP 198.7.58.98, whereas my regular IP 187.20.41.199 will always tell me that aegidian.org 'takes too long to respond'.

I hope some of the admins here would be able to clarify and/or solve this issue...

Oh, and BTW I DO receive, still today, mail notifications regarding topics I've long ago subscribed to, although of course I couldn't read any of these topics / posts.

Cheers !!! :mrgreen:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Blocked IP ...

Post by Cody »

As far as I can tell, your regular IP address (187.20.41.199) is not banned or blocked by this forum.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Cody wrote:
As far as I can tell, your regular IP address (187.20.41.199) is not banned or blocked by this forum.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, any tips on where else I might look ? I don't have this sort of issue with ANY other URL ... :(

The host provider of aegidian.org ... might there be a block in place there ?

And of course it couldn't be MY OWN ISP, for I'm accessing the forum right now thru it (same ISP for the last 4 years).

Thx anyway... :?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

This has happened to me as well a while back. I brought the issue to my ISP's attention, and they claimed that it was actually the host of aeigidan.org that had blocked a whole range of Norwegian IP addresses. Asking them to lift the ban was met with an accusation of some sort of wrongdoing originating in Norway so apparently they blocked all or most of Norway. My ISP didn't feel inclined to take the issue any further. The only Norwegian ISP I could use at the time was my mobile provider and I tested a few. Even my work connection was blocked, and my workplace is it's own top level ISP. I survived by using a proxy (I use one to watch BBC anyway) and It all cleared by itself after 6 months.

Edit: All this according to my ISP. It's been a while so I don't remember the details. There were quite a few e-mails going back and forth at the time.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Thx for the support Gimi !!! :P

Well, since I'm no longer a very active user of Oolite / Aegidian I can live with that. As I live in Brazil I can imagine that aegidian's host might have suffered a whole lot more 'attacks' originating from Brazil than from Norway, so they might as well have blocked all Brazilian IP ranges... IIRC, a year ago I was one of only 2 aegidian users living in BR, so not many complaints would have originated from here.

Anyway, and in case anyone is interested, here's the address of the Firefox addon that 'allows' me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: to visit aegidian.org:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /anonymox/

Cheers !!! :D
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

sdrubble wrote:
... whereas my regular IP 187.20.41.199 will always tell me that aegidian.org 'takes too long to respond'...
Well, not sure if aegidian's host provider did take any action since my initial report.

The fact is that today, while in the process of testing yet another FF proxy addon, I found out that my favourite blocked site (this one, of course ! :lol: ) is no longer unreachable thru my normal IP... :shock: and that my ISP is now placing me in a different range, which might as well be the reason why I can come here again openly and directly without needing to resort to shady back alleys. :twisted:

Cheers again mateys... :mrgreen:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

So you're OK now and can reach us fine?
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

JazHaz wrote:
So you're OK now and can reach us fine?
Directly and immediately, no proxies, no IP falsehood required. :twisted:

For the moment, at least... :roll:

Cheers !!! :mrgreen:
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Hi adrubble.

The recent unbanning of IPs by my ISP (Namehog.net) may well have a lot to do with the fact that the serrver on which aegidian.org is hosted is also the server for namehog's website and the serverr which died horribly a few days ago when there was a power outage at the servers.

If this happens again, and the mods here can,t see this forum banning your IP, let me know directlyand I'll see what complaining to namehog gets me.

(posted from my hospital bed - I'm ill and can't do much - I won't be responding to many messages - but I am bored with these four sterile white walls now)

-- Giles
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

aegidian wrote:
(posted from my hospital bed - I'm ill and can't do much
Sorry to hear that....wishing you a speedy recovery.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

aegidian wrote:
... but I am bored with these four sterile white walls now...
Be pleased that they are (hopefully) sterile - and get well soon.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

At least your hopefully brief stay will give you a chance to just play Oolite, as opposed to tinkering with it..

Get well soon!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Diziet Sma wrote:
At least your hopefully brief stay will give you a chance to just play Oolite, as opposed to tinkering with it..

Get well soon!
Ah, sadly this is coming from an android tablet, and I don't think we've managed any GLES ports yet.

Thanks for the best wishes, FWIW I'm in getting treatment for generalised Myasthenia Gravis, which isn't life threatening just a big inconvenience, but they need to monitor me here in case I react badly to the drugs. Should be home on Friday and feeling better by the end of February.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I had to look that up.. sounds very not fun.. hope all goes well for you.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

aegidian wrote:
Hi adrubble.

The recent unbanning of IPs by my ISP (Namehog.net) may well have a lot to do with the fact that the serrver on which aegidian.org is hosted is also the server for namehog's website and the serverr which died horribly a few days ago when there was a power outage at the servers.

If this happens again, and the mods here can,t see this forum banning your IP, let me know directlyand I'll see what complaining to namehog gets me.

(posted from my hospital bed - I'm ill and can't do much - I won't be responding to many messages - but I am bored with these four sterile white walls now)

-- Giles
Many thx for the Namehog tip man ! And I do hope you may get better, and feel better, very soon. :wink:

Cheers ! :D