Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Idea: option to retire your commander and scoreboard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Idea: option to retire your commander and scoreboard

Post by pagroove »

Like the title says:

Would be nice if you could retire your commander to any planet. Maybe the amount of credits and rank can then be converted to surface goods:

Something like:

Commander Groove retired on ...(star date by Oolite Clock) the surface of planet (where you are now). For his ... credits and rank he bought a nice cottage on the (generated by chance) Southern/Northern/.. continent .

Then you're commander score is (by credits and rank and kills) is displayed on a scoreboard.

Also when you get killed you would get a place on the board.

The scoreboard could be displayed at the main menu. With the following parameters:

Place (by nr) | Commander name | Commander rank | Credits | KIA or Retired (if retired then also the planet is mentioned: Commander "Carl retired on Leesti on date...

I want retirement also as an option to end the career of your commander.

What do you think?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Idea: option to retire your commander and scoreboard

Post by Zireael »

I love this idea.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

IMO the current save/load thing does not work really well with the scoreboard idea. If there were an ironman option (other than the one that requires self esteem :lol: ), then I would love it.

A sort of retiring effect could be achieved with an oxp. You could retire yourself in a mission screen, a mission variable would be set and save would be required. On load that variable would be checked and a mission screen would be shown saying you're retired. Or something. Would a bit pointless without the scoreboard though.

Maybe there could a very, very distant time limit that would mark your ageing so that the game would eventually end.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Or you can simply archive the savefile of the commander you want to retire and not play with it again. Simple is nice. ;-)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

another_commander wrote:
Or you can simply archive the savefile of the commander you want to retire and not play with it again. Simple is nice. ;-)
Meh, I wanted a little flavor. Like in Cody's work you read that retired spacers run a bar on the planet surface. But indeed you are right. I just thought it would be nice if you can end your career if you like. My commander is not near that point. But I imagine after reaching Elite then I could be tempted to start with a fresh Jameson.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

How about a [wiki]Commanders[/wiki] wiki page? Both running and retired pilots can be in the same table if there is a retired column which contain the names of planets.

Can start with the published statemets in Data gathering thread and we can make rules to prevent usage problems, like a max. number of pilots from the same person in the main table (full lists can be in private tables of users).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

This is beginning to sound too much like a scoreboard.. something I'm glad Elite/Oolite doesn't have.

I'll pass, thanks..

Besides, what if my Commander wants to come out of retirement? :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Well the scoreboard is maybe not a good idea. But a retirement option could maybe (with some flavor added) be nice. Anyway. It was just an idea.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Norby wrote:
How about a [wiki]Commanders[/wiki] wiki page? Both running and retired pilots can be in the same table if there is a retired column which contain the names of planets.

Can start with the published statemets in Data gathering thread and we can make rules to prevent usage problems, like a max. number of pilots from the same person in the main table (full lists can be in private tables of users).
I love this idea.
I say one person can submit max 3 commanders.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

pagroove wrote:
Well the scoreboard is maybe not a good idea. But a retirement option could maybe (with some flavor added) be nice. Anyway. It was just an idea.
A retirement option? Isn't that Eastbourne? (Or Florida if you're American?) :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

Bwaahhh ha ha ha Forget retirement... I already have a commander who was murdered while docked and conducting business. :(
Cloning, It's not for everyone.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Dawn Trader wrote:
Bwaahhh ha ha ha Forget retirement... I already have a commander who was murdered while docked and conducting business. :(

And now for the News headlines. The first recorded case of somebody knowing they have been murdered has come to light. While most murder victims maintain a stoic silence, this one decided to go public on an internet forum. His main complaint was that his murder had deprived him of his well-deserved retirement. All of us here at G5TVN hope you Rest in Peace.
And in other news...
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.