Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Zireael »

Griff, I've seen the Cobra III artwork for E:D but I still think yours is better! Especially with the Respray addon...
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Zireael wrote:
Griff, I've seen the Cobra III artwork for E:D but I still think yours is better! Especially with the Respray addon...
And with Z_GrOovy_Griffs_CobraMk3_Variety_Pack. :)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Updated my Wolf Mk II oxp again (now at version 1.3), I fixed a bug I introduced in v1.2 (in shipdata.plist 'PaintColor1' in listed twice for each ship - the second one should be 'PaintColor2') and whilst I was there had another go at coming up with a decent paint scheme and added a reversed version of it as an alternative
ImageImage
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Griff wrote:
Updated my Wolf Mk II oxp again (now at version 1.3), I fixed a bug I introduced in v1.2 (in shipdata.plist 'PaintColor1' in listed twice for each ship - the second one should be 'PaintColor2') and whilst I was there had another go at coming up with a decent paint scheme and added a reversed version of it as an alternative
ImageImage
Hi Griff

Where's that OXP obtainable from, please? I can't find it.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cody wrote:
Thanks!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Ah, I love the greyish one! :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Three versions of Cobra Mk III

Post by madsborking »

Hello everyone :D

My first post - having only discovered Oolite a few weeks ago - and WOW!
A great big Thank U to every contributor for this outstanding remake of one of the greatest games of all time. I'll try not to get too carried away with praise, but it is difficult to curb my enthusiasm, and certainly Griff deserves a special Thank U (O' mighty wizard) for making it look like I could only imagine back in the Amiga 500 days :wink:

I have a (newbie) question for Griff, or anyone really, and seeing the sheer size of this forum I'll get straight to it. (I have of course been looking around the forum and www for about a week now, trying to figure out the answer myself, but I am coming up short...)

Question: In the Griff Shipset Gallery, (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Griff_Industries), there appear 3 versions of the Cobra Mk 3. All very cool, but the third one, the white and blue with the smiley and anarchy decalls, is Über cool!!! How do I get to fly that ship???

I have the following Griff OXP's installed:

Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Addition_v1.22.oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex_v1.1.oxp
default_Jameson_ship_is_griff_cobra3.oxp

I've been looking around for it - for sale - but I have in fact not seen any of the three versions from the gallery yet. The ones you can start out in, (with variable color-schemes), model-wise look very similar to the first of the three from the gallery, but the colors are clearly different from the gallery version. And the last two gallery version are slightly different, model-wise, and I have seen nothing like them anywhere...?

Hope it's not too newbie and that there is some simply answer of sorts... (That I just need to rise above my current "Average" rating or install an extra little mod or something).

Thanks again to all developers and all other enthusiasts keeping the only truly open-ended space sim alive :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hi and welcome - I think you need the griff_CobraIII_alternate_model_v1.1, found on this page.
It's probably the finest ship out there - I fly one myself (with custom paint-job and decals).
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Post by madsborking »

Thank U Cody

Downloaded and installed, and after a bit I did in fact come across an alternate Cobra Mk 3 for sale - so that works :D
(It didn't have the white and blue color though... It was white and reddish/brown. I gather it is variable and that I will simply have to be on the lookout for a white and blue).

I'm a bit confused though... Reading Griff's initial post detailing his Shipset and the OXP's required to get it, I was under the impression that all his ships was included in the Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp ... ?

And on the "Box" you refered me to it says at the top: "Textures and Meshes from this oxp - these files are not needed if you just want to install and play the oxp, they're provided just as a resource for interested Oolite OXP'ers" ... Doesn't that mean the same thing? That all his ships should be included already in the Resources OXP?

Or am I missing something obvious?
Cody

Post by Cody »

The page I linked to contains Griff's older (and other) OXPs (I'd recommend the Wolf, the Hognose, and the Ophidian, btw). Ignore the 'textures and meshes' part, they ain't anything to do with playing the game. Griff's shipset only contains his versions of the core ships.
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Post by madsborking »

Hi Cody

That works for me. In your suggestion for further ships you say: (I'd recommend the Wolf, the Hognose, and the Ophidian, btw)... What's btw?

Thanks again :-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins> It's short for 'by the way' - a figure of speech, I suppose. Oh, get the griff_cobraIII_subent_missiles.oxp too.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

my Box.net page has become a bit confusing, is it worth getting rid of the old core shipset oxps or at least moving them into some sort of archive folder out of the way? They all need a bit of a tidy up so they'll work better with Oolite v1.79, maybe I could do that at the same time
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... is it worth getting rid of the old core shipset oxps or at least moving them into some sort of archive folder out of the way?
<nods> Sounds like a good idea, Griff - there are too many in that list.