He who prefers security over liberty deserves neither

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

He who prefers security over liberty deserves neither

Post by LittleBear »

Having docked my Cobra Mk III at Lave at 12.00 yesterday I was forced to return to the real world and started my duty solicitor shift. I docked with my OIC in his VIPER at Westminster Magistrates. At the witchspace beacon were a sqaud of Ministery of Justice drones, charged with maintaining the Security of the Court for the very reasonable fee of only 500% more than a duty solictor.

My OIC (with a Glock 9mm under his arm) was duly waved through as he showed his ID card. (It is of course completly impossoible for a terrorist to forge a police ID card and SERCO drones know what a real police ID Card looks like) .

My mere Duty Barrister's ID Card did not however produce the same effect. The M o J drones therefore sprang into action and asked me to removed my coat (it being quite impossible for anybody to either: Claim to be a police officer when they are not or have a weapon under their suit coat but not under their overcoat.

Now I know we live in hard times and we must pay SERCO £1,000 an hour to provide Security for the Courts, but the thought occours that if you wish to bring any item into the Courts that you should'nt, then the best advice is to put your bomb / MAC9 / Ingram Laser Rifle in your waste-band as if you remove your coat anything you have under it must be perfectly ok.

Over the next two weeks I'll post photos of items I have brought into court by (although only being a mere lawyer) had the wit not to put in my coat. My self imposed challenge is to put a replica firearm / bomb in my waste-band, but take off my coat, (as long as I take off my coat the 50 Million Credits we all pay SERCO to provide security per year is money well spent) and be waved through by SERCO at Southwarlk Crown Court next week.

Anyone other Commander want to play the "What can we put in our waste-bands and not put in our coats and be waved through by private security companies paid by the Tax Payer to provide security?" If so Photos Here!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: He who prefers security over liberty deserves neither

Post by JensAyton »

Um.

I would suggest, at a minimum, waiting a week and then considering whether this is a very good idea.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The Parasites That Be (I refuse to call them 'the powers that be') are getting nervous.. and so the f*****s should be.. :twisted:

Yeah.. you gotta love the rent-a-cop goons.
JensAyton wrote:
Um.

I would suggest, at a minimum, waiting a week and then considering whether this is a very good idea.
Indeed.. parasites are not noted for having a sense of humour.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "waste-band"?
I know that there's a waistband in trousers, waste-band is nothing I've encountered before...
Or maybe you have same kinds of 'natural safety measures' in place like I do - if anyone would pull said band, he/she would experience a puff of toxic waste / biohazard cloud :shock: :lol:
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JensAyton wrote:
Um.

I have to concur ... or at least get a journalist to do it (they would have a better shot at claiming a rationale, if they were writing a story investigating e.g. the "value for money" provided by these paragons of private enterprise). It should be relatively easy to get a journo interested: Serco's name is still relatively hot in the press, following stories like

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 88614.html

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... o-68m.html
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In related matters, are you participating in the strike?
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Southwark Crown Court, eh? I'll be watching the local news very closely!
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

JensAyton wrote:
Um.

LittleBear, long time no see.

Really, better don't. I completely agree with Jens.

Some idiot might be ripe to think it's a bomb if they discover the outline and claim self-defence after shooting afterwards :(

I understand & agree with your anger, but don't risk your life to prove a point.