OXP idea: Seeking those with radio DJ/Announcer experience

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP idea: Seeking those with radio DJ/Announcer experien

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Here a few ones I made, my webcam seems to work allright as microphone. If only my chair wouldn't squeak as much... :lol:

I made one in German and English, both together and single files (The Achtung/Danger ones. And I know that the statement is technically untrue (as long as you haven't installed deep space pirates), but it is exactly the thing galcop would say... :wink: )

What the commercial jingles need, would be some dumb music in the background, maybe... :roll:
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

I gave this thread a plug on the Frontier forums. :wink:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks! Much appreciated! 8)

C'mon Geraldine.. we could really use a female DJ voice as well.. how about it? :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Hmm... reading this thread has just reminded me: I put a feature in the tutorial code that would allow the instructions to be spoken, if anyone wants a job as a flight instructor.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
Here a few ones I made, my webcam seems to work allright as microphone. If only my chair wouldn't squeak as much... :lol:

I made one in German and English, both together and single files (The Achtung/Danger ones. And I know that the statement is technically untrue (as long as you haven't installed deep space pirates), but it is exactly the thing galcop would say... :wink: )
Nice! I especially like the "Memory" ad reading :-)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Thanks! Much appreciated! 8)

C'mon Geraldine.. we could really use a female DJ voice as well.. how about it? :wink:
LOL I very much doubt my Scottish accent would be of much help in making my ramblings any more coherent :oops:
I was kinda hoping though that perhaps some of the Lave Radio guys and their regular contributors might be interested, anyways good luck with the oxp! :wink:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
I put a feature in the tutorial code that would allow the instructions to be spoken, if anyone wants a job as a flight instructor.
<grins> If 'twere spoken, then perhaps a short intro might suit... something like:
Right then, young Jameson... pay attention! I’m Commander _______, your flight instuctor for this tutorial. Though why you should need a flight instructor, Zarquon only knows! In my day, we just jumped in the ship and learnt to fly on the fly *cough*, so to speak. Anyhow, onwards and upwards...
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Geraldine wrote:
LOL I very much doubt my Scottish accent would be of much help in making my ramblings any more coherent
Aww.. the Ooniverse is supposed to be exotic.. so the more accents the better!

Heck, I'm tempted to give it a go myself.. only problem is, I live by a very busy main road in a large city.. the traffic noise is almost constant. Even at 3am on a weeknight, there's a car or truck going by every couple of minutes. Finding somewhere around here without intrusive background noises is almost impossible.

That would be very cool if some of the Lave Radio gang contributed, though!

@ Ranthe.. since you seem not to have noticed, you have a PM. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Comments from some Oo-lyrics I wrote for "Money For Nothing" (over in Oo-fic)
Diziet Sma wrote:
Nice job on the DJing, too.. can I interest you in a wee project I have in mind?
Thanks for the nod. I'll give anything a go once, but the written word is a lot different to the spoken.
Diziet Sma wrote:
so the more accents the better!
I do passable BBC english, refined Australian Uni (or an atrocious outback Aussie; that passes for a foreign language? :lol: ). Classic DJ...? we'll see. :)

So having been directed here [must find out how to add a link], here's a couple of comments:

Why restrict it to DJ, bulletins and ads (by the way, I love a couple of those ads!). If there's enough Oo-lyrics around, there maybe a few Adder garage bands out there willing to give them a crack. Same with jingles - reminds me of the episode "Radio Goodies..." with Graham Gardens pirate eyepatch, "And now 'A Walk In The Black Forest'". Even current (real world) ads might work or a traffic report for a quick couple of sound files - I can't imagine McChucks not being around :shock:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Heck, I'm tempted to give it a go myself.. only problem is, I live by a very busy main road in a large city.. the traffic noise is almost constant.

I noticedthe recording dodge though :wink: Still, with traffic in the background, you can always do a live 'Street' news report :lol: "Comments from the populous about the latest civil uprising for GNN."
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Cody wrote:
<grins> If 'twere spoken, then perhaps a short intro might suit... something like:
Right then, young Jameson... pay attention! I’m Commander _______, your flight instuctor for this tutorial. Though why you should need a flight instructor, Zarquon only knows! In my day, we just jumped in the ship and learnt to fly on the fly *cough*, so to speak. Anyhow, onwards and upwards...
How about this?
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Not bad.. but the delivery was too emotionless..
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Right, I've got a DJ blurb (.ogg format) and I would like to upload it (searches for that handy 'attach file here' icon)... where do I go?

I'm thinking that it has to go to a dedicated upload area, and I'm sure one of you friendly BB chaps have already got a how to instruction post somewhere that I'll try to find. If nothing comes in within the hour, please assume that I've not figured it out :oops:

Sometimes I just use a computer rather than feel like a computer user :roll:

edit: OK, I at least found out that I need permission (phew! I not a complete nonce)...

"To the powers that be, I humbly request permission and direction on how to attach stuff"

ps busy tonight, but will try to get back to this tomorrow
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The best method is probably to get yourself a free account at box.com and use that for file-hosting. I don't think the board gods permit attachments.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The best thing to do is to open a free account with a site like box.com, upload the file there, and post a link to it on the BB. box.com is a good one to use, since you can get a decent amount of space for free, and it doesn't bombard people with adverts when they download from it.

Edit: ninja'd!
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

OK, Box account opened and files uploaded :shock:

There are 4 files created with the DJ patter from the 'Money For Nothing' oolyrics intro. The sequence is -
Intro - although this is general radio id patter
Request
Patter
Callout - again more generalised radio patter

For the "how'd he do that" group:
A glass of water and my poor attempt at DJ brogue
Basic recording through a laptop mic, converted to .wav via WinFF
Modified in Audacity - Amplification=4, Bass Boost=2, Noise Reduction, Pitch=-12% (because all the girls go crazy for a basso rumble :P ) and finally Phaser=2 with the slider a couple of settings toward 'wet'

Right, here goes with attempt No.1 to add a link to them... (cross fingers) - You should be able to download them from

edit: Sorry, that didn't work (and so MrGreen has to be removed!)
... and there was much rejoicing (but apparently only in front of this computer screen)

Now how do I simplify the link text?
Last edited by SteveKing on Mon May 19, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveKing
(not quite the author)