Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Communications OXP idea

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Communications OXP idea

Post by Commander Avago-Ero »

The nearest thing I get to tinkering with a computer is using my PC as a DAW for recording music projects and that's using software and hardware and not programming so please give me some slack.

I guess (I've only programmed in BBC BASIC so take deep breath) that the architecture in OOlite is mostly 'hard wired' and the rest is variables that can be changed and that's where OXP's come in

Based on my unscientific guess and having used OXP's with different sound effects I assume adding sound files to given tasks is no biggie (unless you're me with no experience in scripting if that's what it is)

Well here goes (given that this is speculation)

What if as many Oolite users as possible uploaded sound files of their own voices (WAV/MP3 delete where applicable) for various actions eg 'I'm on your tail' etc when you're attacked from behind or say for example you're firing on another ship and it takes five successive blows, this could then trigger a sound file of one of the relevant files called eg 'Under Fire' and randomly selects one so that your prey/assailant/sport exclaims something like 'I can't shake him/her off!' or whatever version that user chooses (anyone speak Thargoid?')

There could be different files for different ship types offenders/traders etc

You could end up shooting yourself though of course but hey it's only a game (isn't it?)

just a thought. Anyway I've just seen some rocks need banging together...
Attitude Adjustment? I'm too old for an ASBO!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Communications OXP idea

Post by Zireael »

You mean attaching a sound file to a given type of comms messages? Sounds right up my alley!

*points at the Make Oolite more immersive thread*
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Zireael wrote:
You mean attaching a sound file to a given type of comms messages? Sounds right up my alley!

*points at the Make Oolite more immersive thread*
Hello Zireal

Yes I think that's what I mean.I got the idea from another post about uploading (duh I don't really speak computer) personal ship/pilot data into the game. (sorry forget where as I'm new to this site and really fired up about this game and looking to chat to people) Maybe the two could be combined and users could add there own as and when so that a prompt would come up on this site in new posts saying 'new commander/s added' and you could zip them in to your Oolite. Is it possible?

* Got the idea from a post on the 'Oolite Multiplayer Please Read' Forum. There was a post about AI where users could add there own ships into the game. Perhaps the two could be combined. Sorry I don't know how to make links.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander Avago-Ero wrote:
* Got the idea from a post on the 'Oolite Multiplayer Please Read' Forum. There was a post about AI where users could add there own ships into the game. Perhaps the two could be combined. Sorry I don't know how to make links.
That's a project which did launch at one point.. but it was incompatible with later versions of Oolite, and has languished for a while..

However, the creator of the OXP, Commander McLane, is in the process of converting it to work with the new Oolite, so there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

You might find the thread interesting reading.. so here it is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6806
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Diziet Sma wrote:
Commander Avago-Ero wrote:
That's a project which did launch at one point.. but it was incompatible with later versions of Oolite, and has languished for a while..

However, the creator of the OXP, Commander McLane, is in the process of converting it to work with the new Oolite, so there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

You might find the thread interesting reading.. so here it is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6806
Thanks Diziet Sma. Commander McLane's thread pretty much covers what I was thinking.