Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by Zieman »

Redspear wrote:
Any advice on how others could achieve such feats of 'tweakery' please?
:)

You need a text editor (such as NotePad++) & a graphics editor (such as Gimp), and of course the DeepspaceShip.oxp + some time...;)

On a more serious note, you have PM Redspear.

The DeepspaceShip OXP doesn't come with any licence, and IIRC the author has dropped off the radar, so I won't be releasing the modded OXP to the public yet (I'd like to get JBlythe's permission first).
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Re: Screenshots

Post by Redspear »

Zieman wrote:
The DeepspaceShip OXP doesn't come with any licence, and IIRC the author has dropped off the radar, so I won't be releasing the modded OXP to the public yet (I'd like to get JBlythe's permission first).
Understandable.

Shame, that guy was quite the artist...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Yup.. I still have the Oolite wallpapers he made. :D 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Zireael wrote:
This is epic. What planet is this?
Eh... I can't remeber :)
Somewhere in G3 using System Demux planets.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just a little update on the 'Accessories' overhaul.
The docking thingy is working nicely now, although I still haven't started on the hermits. :(
There has been talk of buoys recently. With the new graphics coming in the old buoy has been taking a bit of flack and Chey'd excellent buoy has been mooted as a possible replacement if it can be made to work well in non-shadery form. Whatever, I decided to take another look at the current default buoy to see what could be done with it as I'm sort of updating Accessories anyway. I've tried a few things and so far this is my preferred attempt.

It comes in at around 650KB for the diffuse and emission maps (and thats with big 2048x2048 textures!), so it's a good lightweight option. There is a short video of it here if you want to watch it spin for a few seconds.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Smivs wrote:
I decided to take another look at the current default buoy to see what could be done with it as I'm sort of updating Accessories anyway. I've tried a few things and so far this is my preferred attempt.
I like it :)
If I may, I think it might look even better if some of those pointy edges on the default model were 'shaved' a bit, to better match your texture.

In any case, if you released that one then I'd find a place for it in my game :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks Redspear :)
Yes, those pointy corners are a bit iffy aren't they?! It's just occured to me that making the outer circumference black rather than the steel blue might mask them a bit. Perhaps I'll try that.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For reference, I believe the current design is supposed to look like a [wp]corner reflector[/wp], although it wouldn’t actually work as one since the faces are slightly convex.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks. I'd often wondered why it was such an odd shape but that sort of makes sense.

Edited to add:-

I've tried making the circumference black now and yes, I think the black border is better.

Also just tried re-scaling to 512x512 textures. Just over 67KB now but really doesn't notice :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Thanks. I'd often wondered why it was such an odd shape but that sort of makes sense.
Heh.. it's instantly recognisable to any blue-water yacht sailor.. tho' I can see how it would confuse all you landlubbers! :P :lol:
JensAyton wrote:
I believe the current design is supposed to look like a [wp]corner reflector[/wp]
I noted with interest, that in the picture of the reflector on the yacht mast in that article, the owner has it mounted incorrectly (which is rather typical for power-boaters, I might add :roll: ).. in the (essentially) 2D world of ocean sailing, it needs to be in the "rain-catcher" position in order to function as intended. In space, of course, that's not such an issue. :wink:
Smivs wrote:
I've tried making the circumference black now and yes, I think the black border is better.
That's looking very good, Smivs.. I wouldn't mind seeing a mixture of this and Cheyd's buoys in the core game, perhaps according to TL or economy level..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Captain Beatnik's brand new Sodalite station (without corporate logos and enhanced with a normal map) captured from the dark side. Those lights look absolutely fantastic.

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Redspear wrote:
Yup.. I still have the Oolite wallpapers he made. :D 8)
Hi Diz,

Could you upload some of them somewhere?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sure.. interestingly enough, they are all still available at his website, though the only way to access them is by clicking on the thumbnails of them in his wallpaper thread.

I've bundled all three in a single zip here:
https://app.box.com/s/l9p2j520d7ivzknfbp8j
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Smivs wrote:
Ooh yes, I'd say so :D
spara wrote:
Captain Beatnik's brand new Sodalite station (without corporate logos and enhanced with a normal map) captured from the dark side. Those lights look absolutely fantastic.
Nice work spara (again!) and Capt Beatnik too! 8)

Meanwhile...

Does this remind you of any particular sci-fi film or is it just me?

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Redspear wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Ooh yes, I'd say so :D
spara wrote:
Nice work spara (again!) and Capt Beatnik too! 8)

Meanwhile...

Does this remind you of any particular sci-fi film or is it just me?

Redspear: It reminds me of many sic-fi settings. But Mostly this looks a bit like Star Trek. I was watching the intro from Voyager and we are now almost on that CGI-level in game. If only we had lights on he night side of planets (with random patterns) then it could be perfect.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709