Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, and welcome, Cruithne3753! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
aaronman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by aaronman »

Hi all.

They were months i was searching something like the game "Frontier" i played, for a long time, a lot of years ago:
tried many, mmorpg included, but found nothing minimally satisfying.

Installed Oolite a couple of weeks ago and immediately found that it was what i was searching of.
And... yesterday i discovered OXPs!!! :D

Wow: just installed some of the ones about graphics and so on (do you say "Eye Candy"?) and it become immediately much more addictive.

I have some question but dunno if this is the right place so i say only one thing for now:

a big thank to all of you Image
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day aaronman, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi aaronman, and welcome to the board. :)
Yes, it's a great game and as you are finding, the OXPs just make it better.
General questions are best posted here in the Discussion forum, and any OXP questions should go in the Expansion Pack forum. Most OXPs have a dedicated thread so enquiries about specific OXPs should go in the OXP's thread - you might need to search a bit to find them though. Try the browser plugin as it makes searching the board much easier.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Just realized I never posted here, so this post is three years late!

I live in rather colder regions than you Aussies, although it's not as wet as in UK_Eliter's homeland (and if you don't fancy riddles, you can simply look at my pin on the Oolite players map).

I've been playing Oolite on and off for 3 years, usually with a sh*tload of OXPs. AV soft clashes forced me to uninstall Oolite around a year ago and I lost all my progress (some 600 kills and a Vortex). So I'm back to Harmless in a Cobbie....

Only this year I taught myself some programming (Lua) and I've made a small OXP and a tweak or two on the few days I've been back. And I'm trying to make those engine trails work...

Seriously, even though E:D is shaping up to be a completely different game, it's a treasure trove of good ideas.

<and now I've gone off on a tangent again. Seriously, whoever said 'you talk more than my wife does' 3 years ago when I got 100 posts in a week of having joined, was right!>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Zireael wrote:
<and now I've gone off on a tangent again. Seriously, whoever said 'you talk more than my wife does' 3 years ago when I got 100 posts in a week of having joined, was right!>
Hey, there's nowt wrong with enthusiasm, and your enthusiasm for Oolite and the progress that's been made, in both game and OXPs, since you were last here shines through in every post you make!

Right on, Commander! 8)
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Post by Commander Avago-Ero »

Hi I'm Geoff.
1980's. First played Elite on BBC Model B (tape), then Commodore 64.
Left School. Went to college. Got into Punk Rock. Sold C64. Bought a guitar. Played in bands. The years flew by...

2000's. Bought a Playstation 3. Quite good machine considering
Bought a PC for use as a Digital Audio Workstation...

2 weeks ago after searching the web for a modern version of my favourite ever game (spent eons on the original,got to 'Deadly') discovered OOLITE.

My prayers have been answered. Now my PC has two functions and my PS3 is just there under the telly.

Today finally sussed out how to install OXP's and am blown away. Totally addicted.

At present I've got to a 'Right On Commander' after 3 sessions (days more like but it's x-mas) of being 'Above Average' and still got the same thrill as I did all those years ago.

So glad I stumbled across Oolite and this site. Great to see other people excited about this 'game'

You never know I may make some sound effects and create an OXP one day once I learn how

Cheers to y'all.
Attitude Adjustment? I'm too old for an ASBO!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, Commander Avago-Ero! Welcome aboard! 8)
Commander Avago-Ero wrote:
You never know I may make some sound effects and create an OXP one day once I learn how
That would be cool.. there hasn't been a lot done on the audio side of things for a while..
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Diziet Sma wrote:
That would be cool.. there hasn't been a lot done on the audio side of things for a while..
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yeah. I know nothing about programming or coding (unless you count BBC Basic and a very brief attempt at Assembly Language that was a lost cause as maths isn't my strength). I'm busy playing at the moment
but am sure I'll get to the stage where I'll want to add something. Obviously not guitars so I'll have to create some sounds with synthesis which is not my usual stuff but should be interesting. Some whining hyperspace engine struggling sounds and some kind of momentary miniscule split second oomph as the lasers fire. Hmm I can see a lot of page turning ahead. I don't even know if Oolite bases it's sound on WAV files. Whatever; something to learn. This is site so much better than baby pics on facebook.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I don't even know if Oolite bases it's sound on WAV files.
Save them in the OGG format. For best results, you should generally record them as mono rather than stereo (it doesn't matter in the current version but it will in the next one)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
(it doesn't matter in the current version but it will in the next one)
:? Does that mean stereo sound effects will be possible?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
cim wrote:
(it doesn't matter in the current version but it will in the next one)
:? Does that mean stereo sound effects will be possible?
Two different ways. For standard L/R stereo sounds which you always want to play as L/R stereo (e.g. the intro and docking music tracks, in the core), just encode the sound that way. For any other stereo effect, encode each channel separately as a mono sound, position the sound sources at the correct directions from the origin, link the sounds to the sound sources, and hit play on them all at once...

For an easy example in 1.79, uninstall any sound OXPs like BGS (which may have stereo-encoded sounds for many effects) and then fire your port and starboard lasers.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

So when do we get 5.1? :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

As I understand it, if you have a 5.1 sound system, and your computer knows this, the OpenAL library will send the correct levels to each speaker to position the sound. Adding the fore and aft lasers to the previous test should be sufficient to try this out.