Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Witchdrive Injector Regulators

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Witchdrive Injector Regulators

Post by Disembodied »

In the quest to extend the development arc, and to find new things for commanders to spend their money on, how about a refinement to the Witchdrive Injectors? I'd like to suggest an expensive set of very high-tech regulators (Cr20,000, TL13, maybe?) which improves efficiency, reducing the fuel consumption of the injectors by a smallish amount (maybe 5%-10%). It's only a small gain, but the Injectors are so useful any augmentation would be worth a lot.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Witchdrive Injector Regulators

Post by Cody »

Reduce the fuel consumption of my injectors? Even by a tiny margin? Yes, I'd pay top-dollar for that - I'd even buy one thingy for each engine.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Apart from cost, how would this vary from Military Fuel Injectors?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Capt. Reynolds wrote:
Apart from cost, how would this vary from Military Fuel Injectors?
It wouldn't, really - this was a widget of which I was unaware ... but Cr400 seems too fantastically cheap, for me!

It sounds like Thargoid's already made the device. What I'd suggest then is that this (or something like it) gets built in to the core game, but at a hugely increased price and an even more restricted TL. What I'm trying to think of is incremental improvements for existing bits of kit, which get radically more expensive - along the lines of the [wiki]Military Shield Enhancement[/wiki] - to provide appropriate credit sinks and to extend the process of kitting out one's ship to the max. Ideally they shouldn't be as advantageous as the Military Shield Enhancement, either: they should give an edge to performance, rather than just boosting the main number.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

What I like is an injector that can be primed. So that you won't have to press the 'I' key all the time (of course as an extra option). Maybe also with adjustable fuel mix settings with different mixes:

Maximum --> Full speed > Full consumption
Medium --> Slower Speed > Better Consumtion
Minimum --> Adding a slower speed boost > Best Consumtion (nice for in system cruises).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

pagroove wrote:
What I like is an injector that can be primed. So that you won't have to press the 'I' key all the time (of course as an extra option). Maybe also with adjustable fuel mix settings with different mixes:

Maximum --> Full speed > Full consumption
Medium --> Slower Speed > Better Consumtion
Minimum --> Adding a slower speed boost > Best Consumtion (nice for in system cruises).
Oooh, this is a great idea!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

[wiki]Q-Charger[/wiki] is made for you: give double speed if throttle set over 95% and use 0,1ly fuel per 30 seconds.
NumericHUD can display the correct speed, others show throttle setting only but you will feel the "driving wind". :)

If you want Q-Charging NPCs then install [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki] also and do not reduce the AwardMax variable below 6 (default is 10). EDIT: the new Q-Charger v1.23 can award to NPCs without ShipVersion.

If this "one level" speedup is not enough then I think your "three level" concept is a possible improvement of Q-Charger.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

I second too pagroove's suggestion, in the perspective of a Torusless play. Perhaps simplify it even more by controlling the mix with the throttle.

Perhaps a fixed fuel cost should be applied on activation in exchange for a better general performance compared to "unregulated" injectors?